Young Whites Are Happier

Young Whites Happier - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 22nd Aug, 2007 - 2:01am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
USA Than minorities in the USA
Post Date: 21st Aug, 2007 - 11:40am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Young Whites Are Happier

YOUNG WHITES ARE HAPPIER WITH LIFE THAN ARE MINORITIES

From their relationships to their jobs to their money - even from the time they first roll out of bed - young white Americans are happier with life than their minority counterparts.
Ref. https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1,1249,...02765,00.html

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 21st Aug, 2007 - 7:48pm / Post ID: #

Young Whites Are Happier
A Friend

Happier Whites Young

This comparison is inherently (necessarily?) racist. Comparisons based on happiness in life might make more sense when done on a class (or perhaps a belief system). But based on race? Please.

Measure the happiness of members of a class (e.g., middle class) and if you want, compare among the races in that class. But to merely compare all blacks, whites, yellows, greens, etc. to any other race without taking into consideration their economic background, family situation and, perhaps, their belief system is pretty intellectually naive.

21st Aug, 2007 - 9:10pm / Post ID: #

Young Whites Are Happier Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

I wonder sometimes if people are paid to make these silly studies. The out come of the "research" is so obvious! White Americans have been and are in obvious advantage to their Blacks counterparts. They do not have to fight discrimination and stereotypes as much as Blacks do, they tend to get better jobs and the list goes on.

Post Date: 21st Aug, 2007 - 9:37pm / Post ID: #

Young Whites Are Happier
A Friend

Happier Whites Young

I think one reason this study was performed is because the proponents of it believed in continued discrimination. They had a theory and set out to prove it with a study.

But I take issue with the theory. I do not believe that whites are protected and receive favored treatment at the expense of minorities in America (as a whole). In fact, we have several examples (including a recent Supreme Court decision against favored minority treatment) where whites are discriminated against (in the guise of being "fair" to minorities).

And, of course, many who argue that there is continued discrimination against minorities forget that often members of the minority race can show heightened degrees of racial discrimination (believing whites have it out for them, and so forth). Not to mention that in several states in America, whites are NOT the majority.

So the longer we continue to make these points and argue about racism being everywhere, the more people will believe it to be true.

21st Aug, 2007 - 10:34pm / Post ID: #

Happier Whites Young

LDS_Forever
This is an observation which may or may not true to the facts.

I believe that black america is being lead by a corrupt leadership that does not support or want there constituency to get out of their slums.

Consider who is leading them in the Urban areas. Liberals, white and black, have been running the poorer parts of urban areas in America for over 50 years. They have received tons of money to build up the areas but the money has been misused, mismanaged, and waisted on programs that just keep people in perpetual poverty. Their life is no better because of the leadership of these individuals. In fact it is worse.

It is my belief that these leaders do not want their constituency to become educated, because they worry that people may become more conservative as they move up the ladder.The truth is that Conservatives would welcome it if more African Americans received better educations and moved into the middle class. The trouble is that in today's "black male' culture you are looked down on if you try to better your life through education. Black men seem to glory in their "Ghettoness", and urban culture.

Most of today's problems in the African American community are based on a broken culture and not primarily racism.

Consider the Comedian Bill Cosby's (one of my favorite black comedians) words to the african american man.

Young men and old men, you've gotta stop beating up your women because you didn't find a job, because you didn't want to get an education and now you are [earning] minimum wage. You should have thought more of yourself when you were in high school...You going to tell me that you are going to drop out of school? You are going to tell me that you are going to steal from a store? These things need to be taken care of in the home

More from Bill Cosby

"For me there is a time ... when we have to turn the mirror around," he said. "Because for me it is almost analgesic to talk about what the white man is doing against us. And it keeps a person frozen in their seat, it keeps you frozen in your hole you"re sitting in."

Of course there may be some racism in America, but it is not wholesale anymore. Racism now is perpetrated by those who insist that the African American Male has to act a certain way or he is an Uncle Tom or he is selling out.

22nd Aug, 2007 - 12:28am / Post ID: #

Young Whites Are Happier

First of all let me state guys that I am given my opinion as a Hispanic woman (who is a minority here in Trinidad as well as the USA where I lived). Unless you are a minority, then there is no way you could fully understand this issue because you haven't experienced it.

Tortdog:

I do not believe that whites are protected and receive favored treatment at the expense of minorities in America (as a whole).

Maybe NOT at the expense of minority, nevertheless they do have an advantage because of their race.

So the longer we continue to make these points and argue about racism being everywhere, the more people will believe it to be true.

Are you a White American? Like I said, unless you are a minority yourself you won't see it as an issue. I experienced stereotypes, prejudice/racism when I was in the US. From people assuming I was illegal, uneducated and do not speak English to "go back where you come from" comments. So to imply racism in the US is not a big deal, is to be living in a glass house.

dbackers:

Of course there may be some racism in America, but it is not wholesale anymore. Racism now is perpetrated by those who insist that the African American Male has to act a certain way or he is an Uncle Tom or he is selling out.

Racism in the USA is more common than you think. Having said that, I am not saying that in ALL cases we hear in the news is about racism neither I agree with the "race" card being brought up every time someone does not like you or agree with you but we do have to understand that young white Americans DO have an advantage over any other young person of another race in the US. Just the stereotypes people has on minorities is a disadvantage itself for them.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
22nd Aug, 2007 - 1:27am / Post ID: #

Young Whites Happier

LDS_forever

I am grateful for your perspective.

I of course cannot know what minorities are going through, but neither am I as a white American that privileged as you say.

I have to struggle every month to pay my bills and am barely getting by. I have to work very hard to support my 4.5 children and my wife because we have chosen to have a person stay at home and one work. In America these days where women are expected to work outside the home, we do not have the luxury that some people have of a double income.

I paid for my own way in university by working minimum wage jobs and going to school in the evenings without outside support. It took me 8 years to work full time and go to school.

I struggle, but I am immensely happy. I would suspect that in the survey that we are talking about a member of any race who works hard and is married regardless of race is also very happy.

I never have been racist to anyone and treat all people the same whether they are black, white or Hispanic (My area of Southern Arizona is largely hispanic and several of my relatives and many of my closest friends are hispanic).

I am not saying that racism does not exist, but that everyone is struggling with something (I know I struggle mightily with life every day. Sometimes I lay awake at night crying to God "how am I going to make it?").

We need to help each other out regardless of our race and start by becoming a truly color-blind society.

Martin Luther King "I have a dream."

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

Reconcile Edited: dbackers on 22nd Aug, 2007 - 1:29am

22nd Aug, 2007 - 2:01am / Post ID: #

Young Whites Happier Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews

Thanks for sharing your experience dbackers. I did not mean White Americans are "privileged" but they do have somewhat of an advantage. Basically, they do not look at you down because of the color of your skin or race and even though is true we all have to struggle in different areas, racism is very real. Martin Luther King statement so many years ago still that...a "dream". We still judge people based on race or ethnicity. A very sad reality.

Having said that, I think people in general can be happy if the circumstances allow it, maybe Black Americans are living lives that is causing them unhappiness due to either personal choices or the choices of other people who (through history) made life difficult for them. Now, I do not believe in Post Traumatic Slavery Mentality where FOREVER we talk about it but the Black race have been in disadvantage for years, this is another sad reality.

Rather off topic, but...
I am a minority in Trinidad where more than half of the population is African descendant and the other half East Indian. Even though I get a share of stares (not many Hispanics here) I never felt anyone looked at me down because of my ethnicity. This is one of the reasons sometimes I fear to migrate to a country with a huge white population, because of my experience in the US.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Young Whites Are Happier

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,