How To Become Perfect - Page 2 of 7

QUOTE How do relate this to my last post?: - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 3rd Oct, 2007 - 12:38am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (7) »
This Thread is NOT about a Calling and Election Made Sure. That subject can be had in the Mature LDS Board HERE. This Thread is based on the first Post in this Thread.
28th Sep, 2007 - 6:08pm / Post ID: #

How To Become Perfect - Page 2

This so called gift is not given freely, but with strings attached, and so it would seem that it must be earned.

Good point.

But I come from the perspective that we cannot earn Salvation in the typical sense, because we are still indebted to our savior for our obedience.

I believe that obedience and furthermore eventual perfection, largely, is a result of the redeeming power of repentance and the continual prompting of the holy spirit. When we come to the table and say "I have earned my perfection" we miss a higher point. That man is incapable of doing good on his own.

Alma 22:14

14 And since man had fallen he could not merit anything of himself; but the sufferings and death of Christ atone for their sins, through faith and repentance, and so forth;

I think sometimes in the Church, we assume that we merit Salvation because of who we are. I think we should focus on what our Savior makes of us. Our Baptismal and Temple covenants are a tool the Savior uses to bring us to perfection and thus into his Father's presence.

From Heleman 14:13

13 And if ye believe on his name ye will repent of all your sins, that thereby ye may have a remission of them through his merits.

It is through His merits that we are able to obtain perfection.

We also see in Moroni an important aspect of achieving perfection.
Moroni 10:32

Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ....

1 Be perfected in Him (Christ)
2 By his Grace may ye be perfect in Christ.

We must always remember that perfection is achieved in Christ. The covenants we make with him do not put us on a path where we earn our Salvation, but rather on the path the Lord gives us that we may be Sanctified and perfected by His atonement.

Sponsored Links:
28th Sep, 2007 - 9:38pm / Post ID: #

Perfect To How

I dont think anyone could become perfect in this life. Doesnt the scriptures say that only Jesus Christ was perfect anyways?

2nd Oct, 2007 - 6:07pm / Post ID: #

How To Become Perfect Studies Doctrine Mormon

I do not think that the Lord expects us to be perfect in this life. He just wants us to be heading in the right direction.

2nd Oct, 2007 - 8:17pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Perfect To How

QUOTE (Dbackers)
He just wants us to be heading in the right direction.

Are you sure that is doctrinal?

Post Date: 2nd Oct, 2007 - 9:23pm / Post ID: #

How To Become Perfect
A Friend

Perfect To How

JenLuvsMp3 - I dont think anyone could become perfect in this life. Doesnt the scriptures say that only Jesus Christ was perfect anyways?

You would think so, but no. There are many beliefs like this that the devil tries to both make common and unquestionable. The reason is that if people do not believe that they can achieve a particular goal, then they can't. It's like the 4 minute mile, nobody can do it, so nobody does. Even scientists said it was not humanly possible because our bodies are not designed to run that fast. Then the 4 minute mile was broken, and now your not even a valid competitor in the world arena if you can't run less than a 4 minute mile.

In the case of perfection, if you don't think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your are right. There are many who have "been made perfect". For example: Seth the son of Adam, before the atonement.

"Because he (Seth) was a perfect man, and his likeness was the express likeness of his father, insomuch that he seemed to be like unto his father in all things, and could be distinguished from him only by his age." - D&C 107: 43

Adam, Seth's father, also was "perfect" prior to dying, along with many, many others. In the scriptures, they do not usually say a person was perfect. In fact, there is no scripture that says Christ was perfect. And if you are looking for a scripture that says Christ was "sinless", you won't find it. The word "sinless" doesn't appear anywhere in scriptures. Now, that being said, Christ was perfect, but not in the way most people would think. And the way most people think of perfection makes it unattainable for everyone, even Christ. This is where Satans lie comes in. If you are looking for the wrong thing, you'll never find the right one or recognize it because it does not come in a form you are looking for. It then becomes "unachievable" for the masses.
For example, most people would think perfect means "complete" or "finished". Christ was perfect before he was completed or finished. In fact, to complicate matters or at least to make the point more clear, the status of "God" can also be achieved in this life. (Which most people do not understand, and others would say we are all Gods already.)
Rather off topic, but...
To make this point, I refer both to the Holy Ghost, and the premortal Jesus Christ, (Jehovah), who are both Gods and yet had no body and had not experienced life in the flesh. This lack of progression was not enough to prevent them from being Gods. Also, by reading D&C 76 which speaking of those who make their calling and election sure says, "they are Gods" presently and "they shall have part in the first resurrection" in the future. This should not seem so strange when you consider that Christ was a God as a mortal and a premortal being.

The progression in this life, or the next goes from Unjust = Telestial, Just = Terrestrial, Just made Perfect = Celestial. Another way of saying it is, No Law = Telestial, Lower law of Justice or Law of Moses or Aaronic Priesthood or Church of Jesus Christ of LDS = Terrestial where Christ Rules, Higher Law of Mercy or Melchizedek Priesthood or General Assembly and Church of the First Born = Celestial.
Those who have their calling and election are considered "just men/women made perfect", hence they qualify for the CK. This is why all the prophets both ancient and modern have told us to seek making our calling and election sure. There are many who have this blessing, (CE & Perfection), today, in fact there are more today than ever before.
I really enjoyed your last post dbackers! There was so much I would love to repeat! Here is a little known concept. When speaking of Christ, the scriptures are referring to the 1) person or 2) the principle of Christ. They are interchangeable. The principle of Christ is Love or Charity. when we read the word Christ you can swap it with the word "Love" and it will open insights not available otherwise. For example:
And if Christ, (LOVE), be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. - Rom. 8: 10
Christ the person cannot be in you, but Christ the principle of Love/Charity can be. And as Love of God and Love of all men is what all the law and commandments is based, if we have Love in us, then we will have life because we will be righteous.

As far as this conversation, the scriptures says, "Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him,.... - Moro. 10:32" Applying the principle of Love/Charity to this scripture tells us,
"Yea, come unto Love/Charity, and be perfected in it, and cdeny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Love/Charity; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect in Love/Charity, ye can in nowise deny the power of God. - Moro. 10:32"

In truth, this is what the atonement is all about. Teaching us to be Loving and Charitable towards one another. This was also the message of Christ both in his teachings and actions. This same Charity is what made Christ perfect, and those who are "Just" and wish to be made perfect must also become loving until their "bowels of mercy overpower their demands for justice."

"And thus he shall bring salvation to all those who shall believe on his name; this being the intent of this last sacrifice, to bring about the bowels of mercy, which overpowereth justice,..." - Alma 34: 15
Not the bowels of God's mercy, because God is already perfect and merciful, but the bowels of our mercy must overpower our own demands for Justice for us to be made perfect like God. For it was this demand that caused the people in Christ's day to demand "Crucify him" and "Stone the harlot". And it is because of this same Demand for justice that we condemn our neighbors today for having a mote in their eye while we still have a beam logged in our eye preventing us from seeing. - Amonhi

Reconcile Edited: Amonhi on 2nd Oct, 2007 - 9:28pm

2nd Oct, 2007 - 9:43pm / Post ID: #

How To Become Perfect

Are you sure that is doctrinal?

Fair question, and it may be my personal opinion, but I have several reasons I believe this to be doctrinal.

I believe that as members of the church we are either drawing closer to God (heading in the right direction) or we are withdrawing from him (heading in another direction).

From President Gordon B Hinkley's The Quest for excellence

We will not become perfect in a day or a month or a year. We will not accomplish it in a lifetime, but we can keep trying, starting with our more obvious weaknesses and gradually converting them to strengths as we go forward with our lives.

I believe this implies that it is the direction of our travel toward God, not necessarily our speed.

From Joseph Smith

"Happiness is the object and design of our existence; and will be the end thereof, if we pursue the path that leads to it; and this path is virtue, uprightness, faithfulness, holiness, and keeping all the commandments of God." (Documentary History of the Church, vol. 5, pp. 134-35.)

The important words for me are "if we pursue the path that leads to it". We are all on the path sometimes, yet when we sin we willingly choose to leave the path and follow another direction. The Lord expects us to speedily repent and return to his chosen path.

By saying he just wants us to be heading in the right direction, I am mirroring this admonition in D&C 88:67.

67 And if your eye be single to my glory, your whole bodies shall be filled with light, and there shall be no darkness in you; and that body which is filled with light comprehendeth all things.

Eye be single to my Glory=Heading in the right direction=Getting closer to perfection.

Ok, it may be a stretch, but it helps me to picture the meaning of focusing on Christ.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 2nd Oct, 2007 - 11:33pm / Post ID: #

How To Become Perfect
A Friend

How To Perfect - Page 2

dbackers,

How do relate this to my last post?: Posted on 10/02/07 at 4:23 pm

I am particularly interested in how you think Hinckley's quote and the other thoughts you presented relate to/with the following:

Seth, son of Adam was perfect:

"Because he (Seth) was a perfect man, and his likeness was the express likeness of his father, insomuch that he seemed to be like unto his father in all things, and could be distinguished from him only by his age." - D&C 107: 43

Consider Job who was also perfect in this life:
"And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and bescheweth evil? and still he choldeth fast his dintegrity, although thou movedst me against him, to destroy him without cause." -  Job 2:3

And also Noah and his family...
"And thus Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord; for Noah was a just man, and perfect in his generation; and he walked with God, as did also his three sons, Shem, Ham, and Japheth." - Moses 8:27

Here Paul is speaking to those who are perfect and includes himself in that group by using the word, "US":
"I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.  Let us therefore, as many as be perfect be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you." - Philip 3:15

In one account, the rich man had an opportunity to become perfect...We have the same, do we not?
"Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me." -  Matt. 19:21

Notice here that even Christ learned obedience through the things which he suffered, just like we do now. (We suffer when we do not obey.) And Christ who learned obediance rather than knew obediance was "made perfect" not born perfect. (Very Interesting! yes?)

"Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered; And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;" - Heb. 5:8

Perfection does not come by living law of Moses, the lower law or Aaronic priesthood, which is how the vase majority thinks it must come. Instead, it comes by being removed from the Lower Law by fulfilling it in you, just as Christ did. Then we live by the higher law or Mel. Priesthood which enables us to return to Gods presence.
"If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?
     For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.
     For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God. " -  Heb. 7: 11-12, 19

Reconcile Edited: Amonhi on 2nd Oct, 2007 - 11:50pm

3rd Oct, 2007 - 12:38am / Post ID: #

How To Perfect Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

How do relate this to my last post?: Posted on 10/02/07 at 4:23 pm

We were writing these posts at the same time so I was unable to respond to your post.

I think we need to differentiate between Christ who was without sin and Seth who was made perfect through the atonement of Jesus Christ.

From Joseph Wirthlin's "Guided by His Exemplary Life"

Perfection is worth striving for even if it is ultimately unattainable in this life. For it is through our struggle to become like the Savior and His Father that we ourselves become perfected. If we follow the pattern that Christ set for us, we will be responding to the scriptural mandate to "come unto Christ, and be perfected in him

I think somewhere there is a difference in definitions between what these Apostles and Prophets are calling perfection and the adjective Perfect Man that Seth was. I am not sure what the difference is.

I think we must first define perfection before we can determine if we can achieve it in this life. When I think of perfection I think of "complete", meaning we have finished the plan the Savior has set for us. Under this definition Perfection can only be achieved after the resurrection. We can be "perfect" in that we are following the path the Savior has set for us including utilizing repentance and sanctification that leads unto the purifying of our souls.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (7) »

> TOPIC: How To Become Perfect

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,