Can A Lamanite Be The President Of The Church?

Can Lamanite President Church - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 6th Sep, 2007 - 2:03pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (8) »
Post Date: 5th Sep, 2007 - 6:59pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Can a Lamanite be the President of the Church? or part of the Quorum of the Twelve?

Now I don't mean a Prophet or An Apostle, because anyone who has the testimony of Jesus can be a Prophet or a Witness of Him smile.gif

Reconcile Message Edited...
JB: No need for all that bold.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 5th Sep, 2007 - 7:07pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Church The President The Lamanite Can

Why not? Any worthy male can become a president of the Church. Race does not matter (though I have a tendency to believe it would always be someone from Ephraim).

6th Sep, 2007 - 1:01pm / Post ID: #

Can A Lamanite Be The President Of The Church? Studies Doctrine Mormon

This question brings up a number of other questions which may in fact answer you.

1. What is a Lamanite? The Book of Mormon says that when the people accepted the Gospel they were no longer 'Lamanites'. After Christ came there were no manner of 'ites' among them, just followers of Christ.

2. Does it say anywhere that ordination to the Office of Apostle is limited by race, ethnicity or background?

3. What brought up this question?

Rather off topic, but...
Are you the same person that wrote me Emails about Upgrading?

6th Sep, 2007 - 1:13pm / Post ID: #

JB:

3. What brought up this question?

I think Elix (like myself) have "Lamanite" blood (most Latin American people do) What is a Lamanite? For the Church lingo is someone who is a descendant of South/ American Indians. so sometimes people wonder about these things taking in consideration when was the last time we saw a non-White Apostle in the Quorum of the Twelve in this dispensation? I don't recall none and I really do not see that changing anytime soon.

Post Date: 6th Sep, 2007 - 1:43pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Rather than white vs. non-white, it's more important to me to see a non-U.S. apostle, I.e., Elder Uchtdof.

And most Germans are very white, I suppose.

Reconcile Edited: tortdog on 6th Sep, 2007 - 2:00pm

6th Sep, 2007 - 1:48pm / Post ID: #

QUOTE (LDS_forever)
For the Church lingo is someone who is a descendant of South/ American Indians.

Yes, so why not say 'Nephites'? Why Lamanites? The coined term is referenced to skin color as usual and the whole idea of the question is based on can someone who is 'dark' become President? Sometimes I believe members give themselves mental slavery.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
6th Sep, 2007 - 1:51pm / Post ID: #

Can Lamanite The President The Church

QUOTE (tortdog @ 6-Sep 07, 9:43 AM)
Rather than white vs. non-white, it's more important to me to see a non-U.S. apostle, I.e., Elder Uchtdof.

I suppose that as a "white" yourself, you do not see it as important. wink.gif

For me, is not a big deal but I do would like to see a more variety of races within the general leadership of the Church, I think people can feel more identified as well but the fact that we do not even have a Black Seventy since the Brazilian one, I do not see the change coming anytime soon for an Apostle or President of the Church to be a Lamanite or from any other background than Caucasian. But who knows, I may be gladly surprised soon.

Post Date: 6th Sep, 2007 - 2:03pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Can Lamanite The President The Church Mormon Doctrine Studies

Well, here's why I differ on race. I think we should be race blind. To pick someone because of their race, to me, is irrational, misguided, and inappropriate. (I could come up with some more words.)

But, I DO believe it important to have a mix of cultures in the Church leadership. Thus I would rather have a Brazilian black than an American black. I would rather have an American Indian who was raised in the Indian culture, than an American Indian who was born in Manhattan and came from Wall Street.

Race tells me nothing about a person. Where they grew up, and how they were raised, tells me a whole lot.

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (8) »

> TOPIC: Can A Lamanite Be The President Of The Church?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,