Going Awol

Going Awol - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 19th Mar, 2006 - 10:09pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
What are your thoughts about soldiers that jump ship?
Post Date: 16th Jul, 2005 - 2:37am / Post ID: #

Going Awol

Do you think a soldier that has served one term should try to 'dodge' going back for a second or third mission if he/she is not willing to fight for a war he/she deems either unjust or that he is unfit for either because of mental anguish or frustration?

Marine Accused Of Staging Shooting To Avoid Return To Iraq

Authorities say he persuaded his cousin to shoot him in the leg and then claimed he'd been hit by random gang gunfire.
Ref. https://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/4727733/detail.html

Sponsored Links:
27th Jul, 2005 - 7:54pm / Post ID: #

Awol Going

This is a very difficult topic to answer directly. With most other careers, if one were to feel uncomfortable or disagree with their superiors and/or their motives, they would walk away from the job. In the military, it isn't that easy. The one side of the argument is that no one should fight in a war that they think is wrong or unjust, but the other argument is that you joined the US military, which means you are committed to your responsibilities as a soldier, regardless of your individual opinion.
I personally feel that it is not right for folks in the military to desert their troops. However, I can't say 100% that I would feel the same way if I were in the army and disagreed with the cause that I was forced to fight for.

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

12th Nov, 2005 - 3:21pm / Post ID: #

Going Awol History & Civil Business Politics

This must be an act of real desperation to leave the USA just to escape the Iraq War. I wonder if such people can be seen as cowards or running from abusive powers?

JUDGE TO REVIEW CASE OF WAR DODGER

A former U.S. paratrooper who fled to Canada to evade the war in Iraq but was denied refugee status will get another chance to plead his case.
Ref. https://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/20...zman051111.html

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3212 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 13th Mar, 2006 - 12:31pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Awol Going

CANADIAN HELD FOR DESERTING U.S. MARINES IN 1968

A B.C. man spent the weekend detained at a military base in California after being arrested for deserting the U.S. Marine Corps four decades ago during the Vietnam War.
Ref. https://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/20...ter-060312.html

Post Date: 19th Mar, 2006 - 9:14am / Post ID: #

Going Awol
A Friend

Awol Going

When a soldier goes Awol. That's like the Ultimate low thing to do. You failed your unit and your team. It's no secret that your chances of going to was war are high when signing the dotted line. I believe desertion is punishable by death.

19th Mar, 2006 - 5:47pm / Post ID: #

Going Awol

That seems a bit harsh, Darius, ---"should be punishable by death" ?

The soldiers who go awol must realize that they are deserting the rest of the troops, and that their actions would be frowned on, maybe they just don't see any other alternative?
I suppose what I am trying to say, is that they must have hit a major depression before they contemplate escaping the army, and feel that their is no other way out.

On the other hand, they have signed up to serve the army, and there should be ramifications for their actions, I just believe that the death penalty is a little bit too strict, maybe enforce some other type of punishment?

International Level: Activist / Political Participation: 29 ActivistPoliticianActivist 2.9%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
19th Mar, 2006 - 9:43pm / Post ID: #

Going Awol

QUOTE (Darius @ 19-Mar 06, 3:14 AM)
When a soldier goes Awol. That's like the Ultimate low thing to do. You failed your unit and your team. It's no secret that your chances of going to was war are high when signing the dotted line. I believe desertion is punishable by death.

Darius, I appreciate your perspective as a current soldier in the military. I have always felt this is how other soldiers feel about the subject of AWOL, but have never really conversed in person with a soldier to find out. I suspect your viewpoint is shared by the majority of the soldiers serving the US military. Going AWOL is almost similar to being a spy against your country, and I can see where the military considers the punishment should be just as severe.

Reconcile Edited: malexander on 19th Mar, 2006 - 9:44pm

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

19th Mar, 2006 - 10:09pm / Post ID: #

Going Awol Politics Business Civil & History

When a person goes AWOL in peacetime, they should be imprisoned for a very, very long time. They have a duty to their country, to their fellow military members, and especially to themselves. Going AWOL means that someone else has to now pull their load. That is especially bad in a short-handed military.

In wartime, going AWOL or deserting is especially bad. By going AWOL, the person is leaving their unit (team, squadron, squad, battalion, etc.) short a person when every person may be vital to the completion of the mission. It can easily lead to casualties.

Since the only real difference between AWOL and desertion is that AWOL is the first few days of desertion or the person returns to their post after a time, the penalties should be the same.

In my opinion, AWOL in peacetime should have a severe prison penalty. In wartime, it should be rewarded with the death penalty.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Going Awol

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,