Returned Missionaries In "sexy" Calendars - Page 3 of 6

LDS QUOTE Which attitude you are referring - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 15th Jul, 2008 - 12:19am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

?
Poll: Would you buy a 'Sexy' Calendar featuring RMs?
  Yes       9.09%
  No       90.91%
Total Votes: 11
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Mormon Calendar
Each of the 12 men featured in the sexy calendar has recently returned from a mission
13th Jul, 2008 - 4:26pm / Post ID: #

Returned Missionaries In "sexy" Calendars - Page 3

The creator of the calendar is facing excommunication.

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - A Las Vegas man who was the creative brains behind a calendar that features shirtless Mormon missionaries is facing a disciplinary hearing and possible excommunication for the project.

Chad Hardy was summoned by letter to a Sunday meeting in Las Vegas with a council of elders to discuss his "conduct unbecoming a member of the church."

Hardy's Las Vegas Stake President Frank E. Davie has confirmed the meeting and says the calendar was the primary issue, although there are other concerns.

A takeoff on calendars of firefighters and returned U.S. servicemen, Hardy's project debuted in 2008, featuring 12 returned church missionaries in mostly modest poses, minus their trademark white shirts, ties and black plastic name badges. So far, it's sold nearly 10,000 copies....

14th Jul, 2008 - 3:05am / Post ID: #

Calendars quotsexyquot Missionaries Returned

That's not really all that surprising, in my opinion. It was a rather ill-advised project.

14th Jul, 2008 - 5:19am / Post ID: #

Returned Missionaries In "sexy" Calendars Studies Doctrine Mormon

I am guessing there is more going on than just the calendar issues to warrant a disciplinary court. I hope he is able gets things worked out. I'm glad I do not have to sit in the judgment seat.

14th Jul, 2008 - 5:20am / Post ID: #

Page 3 Calendars quotsexyquot Missionaries Returned

It is confirmed. He was excommunicated today. I want to believe there were OTHER issues involved, otherwise I find disturbing that someone will be excommunicated ONLY for creating this calendar.

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - The creator of a calendar that featured shirtless Mormon missionaries was excommunicated Sunday after a disciplinary meeting with local church leaders in Las Vegas.

Chad Hardy said he bears no ill will toward the council of elders from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

"I felt like I spoke my truth," the 31-year-old entertainment entrepreneur said. "Bottom-line, they still felt the calendar is inappropriate and not the image that the church wants to have."

"Men on a Mission," which has sold nearly 10,000 copies at $14.99 each, included pictures of 12 returned missionaries wearing black slacks, but not their trademark white shirts, in modest poses. The men also were photographed in traditional missionary garb and share their religious beliefs in biographical sketches.

Some of the 12 models have also been called to disciplinary meetings, but none were punished.

"I have no ill feelings toward any of those people," Hardy said of the church council. "They did what they believed was right and I really do feel it was the best decision for both of us."

Frank E. Davie, the senior leader over a group of Mormon congregations in the Las Vegas area, confirmed the 12-member council's decision in a telephone call to The Associated Press. He declined further comment....

14th Jul, 2008 - 5:30am / Post ID: #

Calendars quotsexyquot Missionaries Returned

That's too bad. His seemingly lack of remorse makes me believe there is more to the story than we know.

14th Jul, 2008 - 11:20pm / Post ID: #

Returned Missionaries In "sexy" Calendars

Even if it was only the calendar, I believe it is probably the attitude that there was nothing wrong with it that that influenced the decision more then anything.

In my opinion, he should not not have made a calender with returned missionaries in obviously sexually charged situations. Had he not emphasized the returned missionary/mormon angle part he probably would have had no issues with the Church.

As a returned missionary I for one am not pleased (I could not think of a better word) this man would exploit the name of the Church. Let him make his calendar, but do not associate it with missionary work and the Church.

Rather off topic, but...

We have a double standard in our society that states that it is okay for men to walk around without a shirt on while women must be covered.
It is a good double standard as I would not want women taking their shirts off, but it would be good if men could be a little more discrete with the way they dress. I agree with farseer on this one. Men, especially priesthood holders should be held to a higher standard.

14th Jul, 2008 - 11:39pm / Post ID: #

Returned Missionaries "sexy" Calendars - Page 3

Dbackers:

Even if it was only the calendar, I believe it is probably the attitude that there was nothing wrong with it that that influenced the decision more then anything.

Which attitude you are referring to? Isn't he (like anybody else) entitled to his opinion? For me, he was excommunicated for other reasons since the article states there were other issues.

In my opinion, he should not not have made a calender with returned missionaries in obviously sexually charged situations.

Which sexually charged situations?

As a returned missionary I for one am not pleased (I could not think of a better word) this man would exploit the name of the Church. Let him make his calendar, but do not associate it with missionary work and the Church.

I agree.

Rather off topic, but...
Dbackers, I am curious based on your offtopic. You don't go to the beach/pool at all? Or do you wear a shirt every time you do it? It's a real question, not trying to be sarcastic.

15th Jul, 2008 - 12:19am / Post ID: #

Returned Missionaries "sexy" Calendars Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

LDS

Which attitude you are referring to?

I believe the attitude was associating church membership-missionary work to exposing the human body. Remember this was a public expression. Once he associated church membership to exposing the body, there had to be some questions asked.

Isn't he (like anybody else) entitled to his opinion?

Yes, but:
Example:
Many people are of the opinion that premarital and extramarital sex is an appropriate expression of love. If an Elder or Bishop in the church began teaching this in public, even if he did not practice such teachings, would he not be exposing himself to church discipline?

Which sexually charged situations?

Sexually charged ="Mormon's exposed",or there is something mysterious about mormons taking their clothes off (the association between Missionary work and exposing the body).

Not everything sexual, in my opinion, has to deal directly with the act itself. Simply exposing the body to a certain extent implies some sexuality (especially for men)

I'm a prude I know. It has more to do with my upbringing then anything else (my mom would get after me for ever walking around the house without a shirt). And also it is due to the fact that I am a man and am sensitive to a certain extent to the human body and it being revealed. Men are more affected by the human body, even if the woman in the picture only had her shirt off and their was not any blatant sexual connotation to the pose.

Rather off topic, but...

I tend to wear a shirt at the pool because in Arizona my lily white skin would burn in about 2 minutes, not to mention I am not very happy about my body type. No, I have no problem with men taking their shirts off at the pool, but I had always been curious as a kid (this was the evil side of me) why women were not taking their shirts off too. Just an observation.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
Thank you for your continued support of our Community.

> TOPIC: Returned Missionaries In "sexy" Calendars

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,