Church Trivia? Or Great Knowledge?

Church Trivia Great Knowledge - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 3rd Oct, 2007 - 12:29am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 1st Oct, 2007 - 3:58pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

The other day, as I had a conversation with a friend of mine, about certain Gospel Topics such as Cain being alive, or Making Our Calling and Election Sure, he replied:

-I consinder those things Church Trivia, people study those topics so they can show off how much knowledge they have about the Gospel-
Later he added: All we need to know is in the Temple, and as long as I go to the temple I am saved.

Now, I disagree with him in the sense that everybody that studies the gospel is doing "Church Trivia" so they can show off their knowledge and, that everything we need to know is taught in the Temple (I agree about the temple in the sense of the Symbolism that we need to understand but not with the fact of just going and going and not studying in our minds the inner meaning that these beautiful symbols represent) but, I want to hear your opinion in this matter. Is there people around you that think the same? smile.gif

Rather off topic, but...
I am sorry if there is any other topic that talks about people that might not enjoy deep doctrine conversations, but if there is another one let me know

Reconcile Edited: Elix on 1st Oct, 2007 - 4:00pm

Sponsored Links:
1st Oct, 2007 - 5:30pm / Post ID: #

Knowledge Great Trivia Church

Well, this is how I personally see it.

1. There are members who really love to learn different types of doctrine and they do it to enhance their knowledge about the Gospel.

2. There are members who have "Gospel hobbies", a particular piece of doctrine they feel very passionate about, and they study it over and over to the point of missing the real issues many times.

3. There are members who pretend to be saved in ignorance, who are not interested in learning much and criticize those who DO want to learn.

This is entirely my opinion, but I do sense a little "jealousy" or "envy" coming from members when they see another brother and sister "knowing more" than they do (unless in their perception).

Your friend is mistaken to think that temple attendance will bring him salvation. That's not doctrinal at all.

Having said that, I respect those who do not wish to learn more than just "the basics", everyone is entitled to choose in this life. Personally, I love to learn as much as I can and I do not try to limit myself. I do not think is Church trivia, Gospel hobbie but a real interest to know more about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

1st Oct, 2007 - 5:55pm / Post ID: #

Church Trivia? Or Great Knowledge? Studies Doctrine Mormon

I believe we have any similar Topics like this already, but I will entertain this one once since it is a personal experience. First off, I believe the Temple has SOME of what we need to know. In fact there is a lot we have to lean before we get to the Temple and a lot we have to learn after we have been to the Temple. The reason for this is because life does not consist of the Temple only. Next, anyone that thinks increasing your knowledge of the Gospel is 'Church Trivia' is one of three things in my opinion:

1. The envy those who do study and know the Gospel more than they do
2. Lacking self-esteem or going through some 'period'
3. Have a very narrow minded view of the Gospel itself.

1st Oct, 2007 - 6:52pm / Post ID: #

All we need to know is in the Temple, and as long as I go to the temple I am saved

There are two principles in this sentence that are very important to this discussion.

"know" and "go"

Your friend is saying that he is saved because of what he knows and what he is doing, which I feel is not necessarily the whole picture particularly in this discussion of Church Trivia or great knowledge.

From Mosiah 4:5

5 For behold, if the knowledge of the goodness of God at this time has awakened you to a sense of your nothingness, and your worthless and fallen state-

Our knowledge that we receive from the temple, from the scripture, and from our own study should remind us of the greatness of our God. This should instill in us a sense of humility because we realize that the knowledge that we have received profititeth us nothing if we do not realize our reliance on the atonement of our Savior. We cannot be obedient without repentance and faith in our Savior.

I believe all Gospel knowledge can be profitable if we realize this.

1. Not everyone is ready for all knowledge. In fact no one is ready for all gospel knowledge in this life.

2. Knowledge is only profitable if it leads us to obedience and a desire to keep our covenants.

3. A remembrance that the ordinances and knowledge we receive in the Temple (as well as all ordinances) are necessary but they still preparatory ordinances. We will receive a fullness of knowledge not in this life but after the resurrection.

4. Asking for Sacred or Deep knowledge is not a bad thing.

Doctrine and Covenants 8:11

11 Ask that you may know the mysteries of God, and that you may translate and receive knowledge from all those ancient records which have been hid up, that are sacred; and according to your faith shall it be done unto you.

So, Yes we can ask questions about the deep things of the Gospel, but they should not be our focus. Knowledge only saves as fast as we are able to abide by those principles.

2nd Oct, 2007 - 8:12pm / Post ID: #

I feel like some use their knowledge to show off but I guess its natural to them in anything theyre good at. At the same time I have not been to the temple yet but I do not see it as all I have to concentrate on if so I'm doomed laugh.gif.

Post Date: 3rd Oct, 2007 - 12:29am / Post ID: #

A Friend

JB

1. The envy those who do study and know the Gospel more than they do
2. Lacking self-esteem or going through some 'period'
3. Have a very narrow minded view of the Gospel itself.

I have realized that most of the time it is the 1 and the 3 point that makes them say things like that; the Narrow Mind is something that affects some members that love saying things like -Its not important to our Salvation.
Is there anything wrong with pursuing greater knowledge so we can obtain greater wisdom? I don't think so...

My Friend is really awesome but I feel that he is one of those that have a Narrow Mind with the Gospel, he loves talking about Conspiracies, (he is really zealous with that topic) but the Gospel to him must be kept "Simple & Basic" (I don't know what he means by that)

Anyway that is my opinion... JB & LDS Forever always have great points.

JenLuvsMp3 that is a Natural tendence with us Human beings some of us do some of us don't do it for that reason. The Temple is just like everything else in the Gospel, it is part of a big picture, it is not the whole picture, we can spend a lot time studying Faith, Repentance, etc. but it is the learning and deeds of these principles & ordinances that saves us smile.gif

Reconcile Edited: Elix on 3rd Oct, 2007 - 12:34am

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: Church Trivia? Or Great Knowledge?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,