Canada Home Improvement

Canada Home Improvement - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 23rd May, 2008 - 8:11pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Canada, Canadian Canadian Home Repairs
Post Date: 7th Oct, 2007 - 12:38pm / Post ID: #

Canada Home Improvement

Canada Home Improvement

This Thread deals with how Home Improvement is handled in this country. In other words do most people tend to take care of their homes by keeping them well painted, repaired and clean or are houses left to time and the elements without remorse?

You may also wish to Discuss the cost of Home Improvement in this Country and if the expertise is readily available should you need help.

Sponsored Links:
8th Apr, 2008 - 7:40pm / Post ID: #

Improvement Home Canada

I have noted in the last years of people hiring contractors to do repairs and maintenance in their homes. My parents generation did all themselves and homes were either in very good state of repairs of shambles.

Since 1980's the quality of homes built is dropping. In this I mean that materials are plastic and vynil, so little day to day maintenance is required but the windows are so cheaply made (builders grade) and installed incorrectly to start half the time that in 10 years hat they are just done. That is replacement is the only solution. Window ledges are rotted out completely due to the lack of proper capping and even the window frames are warped and leaking. The doors patio and entrance are fairing no better.

At this point many dump the homes and buy new again or ay a contractor very few will replace the items themselves most likely due to the lack of knowledge on how to do it.

The roof is almost always a contractor as if the insurance company ask questions you are covered. I think is is partly why many do no to little repairs also.

General painting and such is usually up kept well by the home owner but is only superficial as it is often used to hide the real issues.

The lawns are very well maintained though often by a contractor other than the actual grass cutting.

I find many home are poorly kept due to the high expense of hiring contractors and so many have high debt ratio mortgages. that is to say no spare many for such repairs.

Post Date: 9th Apr, 2008 - 5:23pm / Post ID: #

Canada Home Improvement
A Friend

Canada Home Improvement Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

You would be surprised how easy some of the home repairs can actually be. Windows if looked at when you first move in can in fact be seen to be in correctly or not with a level. IF the window in in incorrectly then a few hours work can make it right. The same goes for most doors to include patio doors. A well cared for house needs little in repair but one has to keep up with the house. Caulking is a very important part. Checking the caulk around your windows and doors each spring and fall will save you lots of money down the road.

9th Apr, 2008 - 5:39pm / Post ID: #

Improvement Home Canada

It sure can I even went to the extend of re-caulking the window panes when I bought this house .... it was real rough. I fear though little insulation was installed around the actual framing as you can feel the temp difference in the wall. I pulled the trim off and seal up what I coulds get at as I was replacing all floors and trim any how.

I really look forward to redoing all the windows.

Post Date: 9th Apr, 2008 - 6:01pm / Post ID: #

Canada Home Improvement
A Friend

Improvement Home Canada

Some of the windows should be very easy to do just replace the caulk and seal the window and some paint. Others you will have to remove the inside and outside trim and realign the window so it is square in the rough opening. Getting the window level and square is the hardest part. Then shimming it in place and securing it back down is the easy part.

9th Apr, 2008 - 7:22pm / Post ID: #

Canada Home Improvement

Most of the framing I have checked on in this house has been decently square and I have lots of nice small sensitive levels for this. Just need the monies.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 9th Apr, 2008 - 7:26pm / Post ID: #

Canada Home Improvement
A Friend

Canada Home Improvement

Yes it does take a little bit of monies to make it all come together. That is my downfall too.

23rd May, 2008 - 8:11pm / Post ID: #

Canada Home Improvement Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews

I found this link is interesting if one is looking to ball park a cost for a project in your home. Pricing looks fairly close to me.

https://www.allaroundthehouse.com/lib.repr.htm

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Canada Home Improvement

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,