Cain & The Flood

Cain Flood - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 7th May, 2010 - 4:32am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
9th Oct, 2007 - 12:01am / Post ID: #

Cain & The Flood

Cain & The Flood

What are your thoughts... when the great Flood came during Noah's time, did Cain survive or was it at that point that he died?

Sponsored Links:
9th Oct, 2007 - 7:45am / Post ID: #

Flood and Cain

I have always wondered about that.
I was reading a couple years ago in the scriptures and when I read Genesis 7-I felt a distinct impression to go back and read it again. What I realized after doing so, was 3 different times, (actually 4 if you count the chapter heading) we are told that ALL life was destroyed, save Noah and his family--8 souls). The first is in the chapter heading, then three times in three verses, v21-23.

Noah's family and various beasts and fowls enter the ark-The flood comes and water covers the whole earth-All other life that breathes is destroyed.

21 And all flesh died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of beast, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth, and every man:  

22 All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died.  

23 And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark.   

For a long time I figured since he was cursed to be a vagabond, he would still be roaming about--
Genesis 4: 12 When thou tillest the ground, it shall not henceforth yield unto thee her strength; a afugitive and a vagabond shalt thou be in the earth.

There is a story in the Miracle of Forgiveness that is fairly popular regarding Cain approaching someone on a horse, it backed up my idea that Cain was still alive until the experience above happened. Since that time I have tended to think Cain perished in the flood.

Miracle of Forgiveness, Spencer W. Kimball, page 127-128
As a punishment the Lord consigned the wicked Cain to be a fugitive and a vagabond and placed a mark upon him which would reveal his identity.     
On the sad character Cain, an interesting story comes to us from Lycurgus A. Wilson's book on the life of David W. Patten. From the book I quote an extract from a letter by Abraham O. Smoot giving his recollection of David Patten's account of meeting "a very remarkable person who had represented himself as being Cain."
As I was riding along the road on my mule I suddenly noticed a very strange personage walking beside me-. His head was about even with my shoulders as I sat in my saddle. He wore no clothing, but was covered with hair. His skin was very dark. I asked him where he dwelt and he replied that he had no home, that he was a wanderer in the earth and traveled to and fro. He said he was a very miserable creature, that he had earnestly sought death during his sojourn upon the earth, but that he could not die, and his mission was to destroy the souls of men. About the time he expressed himself thus, I rebuked him in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by virtue of the Holy Priesthood, and commanded him to go hence, and he immediately departed out of my sight-.     

Just as a last thought, I have heard somewhere (can't remember the source) that this story was not even true--I would think that would be someone's opinion instead of fact but wanted to add it in case anyone else had heard that as well.

**I just finished reading the thread Is Cain Bigfoot and found that this story has been discussed in there--so I will be posting in that thread regarding this aspect of it.

Reconcile Edited: AlaskanLDS on 9th Oct, 2007 - 8:59am

4th Nov, 2007 - 11:54pm / Post ID: #

Cain & The Flood Studies Doctrine Mormon

If we take the scriptures literally then Cain should not have passed through the flood, but who knows, he could have been preserved somehow.

Post Date: 5th Nov, 2007 - 3:41pm / Post ID: #

Cain & The Flood
A Friend

Flood and Cain

Cain pershing in the flood or not doesn't necessarily preclude him from appearing to people later. I agree though. I think it's likely he died physically at some point before the flood or at that point in time.

I did a very interesting research project on the Mark of Cain a while ago. I conclude it was a cross on his forehead and not the darwinian-influenced ideas from certain early church leaders.

Post Date: 19th Apr, 2010 - 12:56am / Post ID: #

Flood and Cain

Name: Troy

Comments: The seed of Cain were black (Moses 7:22)

I also don't believe Spencer W. Kimball would have published the story about Cain if he didn't feel it was true.

Cain could very well be an immortal being. He is already deemed Perdition.

Source 1: Miracle of Forgiveness

Post Date: 6th May, 2010 - 11:54pm / Post ID: #

Cain & The Flood
A Friend

Cain & The Flood

All flesh did die except those expressly mentioned as being on the Ark. The "seed" of Cain was preserved in the wife of Ham. So tho he didn't survive his seed did. Cain is dead.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
7th May, 2010 - 12:00am / Post ID: #

Cain & Flood

When you say Cain is dead you are talking about his mortal death before the flood?

Post Date: 7th May, 2010 - 4:32am / Post ID: #

Cain & The Flood
A Friend

Cain & Flood Mormon Doctrine Studies

When I say cain is dead I am saying Cain as a mortal (or even immortal with a body for that fact) is no longer on earth. Cain has NOT been resurrected and so he cannot still have a mortal/immortal body. Cain is where all other wicked spirits are.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Cain & The Flood

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,