Canada vs USA - Page 2 of 9

Well, at that time, Canada was really simply - Page 2 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 20th Nov, 2008 - 10:11am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (9) »
Canada, Canadian versus USA Canadians vs US Americans - An underlying dislike?
7th Nov, 2007 - 1:56pm / Post ID: #

Canada vs USA - Page 2

Goocutemon the jokes about us are more than likely our own doing since we tend to ridicule ourselves even worse then the States. But that is what make a joke funny is the teller is making fun of them selves. To be honest I think most of the funniest Americans came from Canada to start with.

Secruss you might have a good point there it might be the tourist thing. I also have found many times in my life when I have had visitors stay with me from the States they tend to push their own culture into where they are and not in a polite way. I think the most rude thing I had ever seen was at a friends house they had allowed some of the inlaws to stay with them as the son was marrying their daughter. The guests complained about the cooking and then placed an American flag above the Canadian flag in their front yard. I thought my friend was going to rip them to shreds but he handled it with good humour even though it had not been done with that intention.

One can not paint all with the same brush but it just seems I personally have met some of the States finest prior actually traveling there my self. My trips to the States have all been very nice, I must add with great relief that I did not meet one single mean person.

As far as people who live farther away from the border I do not think they give the States much thought at all. I know I did not till moving farther south. I never thought much about middle eastern countries either but I do more now also as I have the chance to talk to people who moved from there.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

Sponsored Links:
19th Nov, 2008 - 5:37pm / Post ID: #

USA Canada

Canadians are a different species

Debated a new thread for this but I think it might just fit here.

So Quasar has a theory on this I do hope he places it here Eh!

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

Post Date: 19th Nov, 2008 - 7:21pm / Post ID: #

Canada vs USA
A Friend

Canada vs USA History & Civil Business Politics

Well to start with there is some animosity towards Canada for not fighting the British during the revolt. The Canadians are looked at as kind of suck ups to the royal crown. And that is probably it on the American side.

Rather off topic, but...
I have ruffled the feathers of a South American, an Alaskan, so I might as well try to throw a Canadian in there.

There was that war of 1812 that the Americans tried and failed to invade Canada. We couldn't handle the British at the time and we tried to invade Canada? That created some more tension for some reason. By the way a lot of Americans don't know about this. It is best just swept under the rug in American history.

There was also a good bit of talk in the 50s, I believe, about invading Canada yet again. Canada is rich in resources and they are not raping their land in an effective enough manner for us to commercialize.

I got to tell you I don't much care for the over commercialized Hollywood style of the states either. We seam to have become arrogant with our views and try to push them on other people.

I think there is more animosity of Americans towards Californians than there is between Americans and Canadians right now.

A lot of states don't like Californians moving in and trying to dictate screwed up policy to the "Unenlightened" inhabitants while they have left their own state in shambles from the same sort of policy. By the way, aren't they asking the rest of us for money right now?

Canadians are not really considered any different from Americans in the places I have been. Don't know if that works the other way around or not.

Krakyn, every country thinks they have the funniest comedians because they understand them better. I personally like British comedy though. And yes we do get all of your talent. How does that feel? We need Hockey players too.

Reconcile Message Edited...
JB: Spell check, uppercase letters as necessary.

20th Nov, 2008 - 4:27am / Post ID: #

Page 2 USA Canada

Come on...we have loved Canada for a long time! Heck, Canada is even pre-approved for membership to the US as was written into the Aritcles of Confederation. No one else has pre-approved status.

Yeah, the War of Independence and War of 1812 were some rocky points. Not to mention, the US Based Fenian Raids after the US Civil War. Now those were not sanctioned by the US Government and we were a little slow in getting people over there to stop it. However, there are some historians that claim that the Battle of Ridgeway was the Battle that Made Canada, as it galvanized the provinces towards a path of nationhood and acceptance of the Canadian Articles of Confederation.

I have traveled to Canada many times. We have very much in common and few differences on whole. It is pretty logical that it worked out that way since the dispora that made up both countries was very similar. From my trips, it reminded me of being in the midwest of the US (people attitude-wise) but with an accent. I must admit that I am not too upset at not having to go to Lac Du Bonet (near Winnipeg) every year to inspect a mining operations. We normally went in winter time and there wasnt even a tree around to stop that wind!

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

Post Date: 20th Nov, 2008 - 5:15am / Post ID: #

Canada vs USA
A Friend

USA Canada

The war of 1812 was kind of a big deal and we lost a lot of regulars for nothing. I am trying to figure out what the strategy/thought was behind sending soldiers to To Canada, or trying to. It really made no sense at all unless I am missing something.

Any Ideas?

20th Nov, 2008 - 5:46am / Post ID: #

Canada vs USA

My take on it was that that was where the Brits were...in Canada. They had a really strong naval blockade on the East Coast of the US, but no real physical presence on land. There were many troops in Canada from Britain at that time. Also, Britain was still fighting Napoleon at the outset of the war and really wasn't keen on trying to invade the states, so they mostly stayed in Canada.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 20th Nov, 2008 - 6:11am / Post ID: #

Canada vs USA
A Friend

Canada USA - Page 2

I guess it pays to read the other half of the story sometimes. Darn Canadians!

20th Nov, 2008 - 10:11am / Post ID: #

Canada USA Politics Business Civil & History - Page 2

Well, at that time, Canada was really simply a British Territory. It wasnt until 1867 that it passed a Constitution Act. It took until 1905 until the last territory signed up. So really, in 1812, it was truly and fully part of Britain. It held territory status with Britain and had plenty of British there...including many troops. Since there were no real easy welcome ports for British soldiers on US soil, Canada provided their easiest port of call. Plus at that time, they needed to tend to their investment.

It really isnt a joke that the Fenian Raids following the US Civil War (Fresh US Civil War Veterans) are largely responsible for Canada creating a confederation. Since provinces of what is now Canada were British held territories, the Fenians thought if they could slice out a chunk of that territory they could use it to their advantage. Some scholars say that they were looking to create a 2nd Irish homeland. Others say that they were going to use it as a bargaining chip to get a independent Ireland from Britain (there was no Irish Free State in 1812...had to wait about 100 years later). Either way, the scare that hit the inhabitants of the territories after the raids galvanized them. They were almost over taken by a small band of rebels and really only had the British stationed there and a very unorganized militia to fend off the raiders. They wanted protection after that and nationalism provided it.

Had the raids not happened, it would be very interesting to see what exactly would have happened with the provinces/territories of Canada. There is no doubt that the relationship between the US and England improved greatly after the war of 1812. Would there have been a Canada or would it have ended up as several small countries or could it have even been purchased by the US? Most of us think that Canada (its territories/provinces) have always had a lovely relationship with Britain. Actually, they were not happy about the taxation and tarrifs that Britain levied on them as well as the US that brought about the War of 1812. They just werent as upset as the US side was...

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (9) »

> TOPIC: Canada vs USA

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,