Mormon / Muslim Discussions - Page 2 of 4

This was not about comparing Mormons to Muslims, - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 18th Nov, 2008 - 5:11am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
28th Dec, 2004 - 8:51pm / Post ID: #

Mormon / Muslim Discussions - Page 2

The problem with Islam and other Eastern religions is that they have no defined leaders. We can get rid of Bin Laden, who has much power, but he is not the head of Islam. There are many different sects of Islam, and it is interpreted in many different ways.

One reason Islam is a threat to the Church is that it is quite intolerant of other religions. Most of the countries that will not let our Church in are either Muslim or communist. Even if our missionaries were allowed there, they would be killed, and their death would be allowed and encouraged by religious leaders there. Religious freedom is vital to the Gospel plan. Islam is a threat to the Church, not because it is a different religion, but because it threatens agency.

Sponsored Links:
28th Dec, 2004 - 8:57pm / Post ID: #

Discussions Muslim Mormon

QUOTE (howe6079 @ 28-Dec 04, 3:51 PM)
Islam is a threat to the Church, not because it is a different religion, but because it threatens agency.

That is certainly true. But these same characteristics are also why Islam is a threat to all of Western Civilization, especially the United States.

29th Dec, 2004 - 6:20am / Post ID: #

Mormon / Muslim Discussions Studies Doctrine Mormon

My question, because of the scattered nature of the Islamic movement, is this: what can anybody do about it? This is what I thought at the beginning of the current U.S. involvement in Iraq. I morally agreed with the premises of the war, and it would have been unethical to do nothing when we had the power to change the situation. But it seems we will never come to a point where we can conclusively say, "We won." We have seen that the American forces captured Sadaam, instituted a new government, and declared rights for the people that they have not previously enjoyed. But no wealth or manpower can effectively change the cultural beliefs of the people.

That is not to say all Iraqis are violent - on the contrary, I have known some humble, generous people from Iraq, including one who was required to fight in the Iraqi army against the U.S. in the 1990s. I understand that many of them are victims of their terrible circumstances. My point is that this conflict can change many things, but it cannot change Islam. No matter what, there will be unrest in the Middle East until the Second Coming. Islam, although it teaches good principles, is actively opposed to the doctrine of Christ. It is certainly a cause for us to be aware, and possibly concerned. Islam seems especially dangerous when considered in the context of the present deterioration of Christianity in the Western world.

Just to be clear, I am not completely sure what my stance is on the situation in Iraq right now, and I refer to it here only as a current event that exemplifies the underlying religious struggle.

27th Jun, 2005 - 3:51am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Discussions Muslim Mormon

In reference to this post I recently added: China vs. USA one has to wonder if war was to break out between the US and China - wouldn't that be a ripe time for Islamists to also act especially against Israel?

Post Date: 4th Feb, 2006 - 11:46pm / Post ID: #

Discussions Muslim Mormon

The below image reflects one of the Cartoons that has sparked riots over the Prophet Muhammad's face being printed using his turban as a bomb.

Mormon / Muslim Discussions
Mormon / Muslim Discussions (Hover)

17th Oct, 2007 - 2:32am / Post ID: #

Mormon / Muslim Discussions

Join a discussion of two rich and vibrant faith traditions.

international QUOTE
Claremont Graduate University's Dr. Hamid Mavani and Brigham Young University's
Dr. Daniel C. Peterson will explore topics of mutual interest between
their two faith communities.  Their discussion will be moderated by Dr.
Richard L. Bushman, currently a Research Fellow at the Huntington
Library in Pasadena.

Friday Oct. 19th 4-5:30pm
  Burkle Family Bldg. Room 14
  Claremont Graduate University

Dr. Daniel C. Peterson is professor of Islamic Studies and Arabic in
the Department of Asian and Near Eastern Languages at Brigham Young
University, and is editor-in-chief of BYU's Middle Eastern Texts
Initiative.  He is one of the foremost Latter-day Saint experts on Islam.

Dr. Hamid Mavani heads the Islamic Studies Program in the School of
Religion at Claremont Graduate University.  His primary fields of
interest include Islamic legal reform, Muslims in America, Twelver Shi'ism,
Qur'anic studies and contemporary developments in the Muslim world.

Sponsored by The Claremont Mormon Studies Association
  Burkle Hall is located on Dartmouth Ave. Between Ninth and Tenth
Streets in Claremont
  Questions? Email mormonstudies@gmail.com

********************************************************************************

Learn more of Mormonism & Islam from Dr. Daniel Peterson

Sat. Oct. 20th 7pm
  Irvine Stake Center
  23 Lake Rd
  Irvine, CA 92614

Dr. Daniel C. Peterson is professor of Islamic Studies and Arabic in
the Department of Asian and Near Eastern Languages at Brigham Young
University, and currently serves as editor-in-chief of BYU's Middle
Eastern Texts Initiative.  He is a member of the executive council of the
Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship at Brigham Young
Universtiy.  He received a bachelor's degree in Greek and philosophy from
BYU and after several years of study in Jerusalem and Cairo, earned his
PhD in Near Eastern Languages and Cultures from the University of
California at Los Angeles.

New lecture series presented by The Friends of Religious Education

Your friends are welcome to this rare evening

No charge for admission

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
18th Nov, 2008 - 4:10am / Post ID: #

Mormon / Muslim Discussions - Page 2

Interesting. I just posted in a message in which a Mormon felt I was doing some trickery because of a comparison to muslims and yet here I find this?

18th Nov, 2008 - 5:11am / Post ID: #

Mormon / Muslim Discussions Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

This was not about comparing Mormons to Muslims, but where the two groups find topics "of mutual interest." Nothing tricky about that.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Mormon / Muslim Discussions

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,