Can The Mormon Church Apostatize?

Can Mormon Church Apostatize - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 27th Jul, 2012 - 11:36pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

KoZ2 - Kingdom of Zion Topic
23rd Oct, 2007 - 6:38pm / Post ID: #

Can the Church Apostatize?

Another topic from the bordeglobal.com/foruminv/index.php?showforum=120 site:

international QUOTE

IS IT POSSIBLE FOR THE CHURCH TO APOSTATIZE?

"If Zion will not purify herself, so as to be approved of in all things, in His sight, He will seek another people;" Joseph Smith - Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 18
"Does this church want it as God organized it? Or do you want to clip the power of the priesthood, and let those who have the keys of the priesthood go and build up the kingdom in all the world." History of The Church, 7:235
"What would be necessary to bring about the results nearest the hearts of the opponents of Mormonism? Simply to renounce, abrogate, or apostatize from the New and Everlasting Covenant of Marriage in its fullness [Plural Marriage]. Were the Church to do that as an entirety, God would reject the Saints as a body. The authority of the Priesthood would be withdrawn with its gifts and powers and there would be no more heavenly recognition of the administrations. The heavens would permanently withdraw themselves, and the Lord would RAISE UP ANOTHER PEOPLE of greater valor and stability. For his work must, according to his unalterable decrees, go forward; for the time of the second coming of the Savior is near, even at the doors." John Taylor - Deseret News, 23 April 1885
"Many of this people have broken their covenants by speaking evil of one another, by speaking against the servants of God, and by finding fault with the plurality of wives and trying to sink it out of existence. But you cannot do that, for God will cut you off and RAISE UP ANOTHER PEOPLE that will carry out his purposes in righteousness, unless you walk up to the line of your duty." Heber C. Kimball - Journal of Discourses, 4:108
"Let this Church which is called the kingdom of God on the earth;... [say] we will summons the first presidency, the twelve, the high counsel, the Bishopric, and all the elders of Israel, suppose we summons them to appear here, and here declare that it is right to mingle our seed with the black race of Cain, that they shall come in with us and be partakers with us of all the blessings God had given to us. On that very day and hour we should do so, the priesthood is taken from this Church and kingdom and God leaves us to our fate. The moment we consent to mingle with the seed of Cain the Church must go to destruction, - we should receive the curse which has been placed upon the seed of Cain, and never more be numbered with the children of Adam who are heirs to the priesthood until that curse be removed." Brigham Young Addresses - February 5, 1852, LDS Church Historical Dept. "When Mormonism finds favor with the wicked in this land it will have gone into the shade; but until the power of the Priesthood is gone, Mormonism will never become popular with the wicked." (Brigham Young - J.D. 10:273)
"When we see the time that we can willingly strike hands and have full fellowship with those who despise the Kingdom of God [and its' doctrines] know ye then that the Priesthood of the Son of God is out of your possession." (Brigham Young - J.D. 4:327)
"When the spirit of persecution, the spirit of hatred, of wrath and malice ceases in the world against this people, it will be the time that this people have apostatized and joined hands with the wicked, and never until then; which I pray may never come." (Brigham Young - J.D. 4:327)
"My greatest happiness, I find in the good will and friendship that has developed among all classes of people [including the wicked] at home and abroad toward the Latter-day Saint Church during my lifetime: In place of everyday persecutions and bitterness we now enjoy high regard and happy associations with all denominations." (Heber J. Grant - Salt Lake Tribune 11-22-38)
"Your minds in times past have been darkened because of unbelief, and because you have treated lightly the things you have received - Which vanity and unbelief have brought the whole church under condemnation. And this condemnation resteth upon the children of Zion, even all. And they shall remain under this condemnation until they repent and remember the . . . Former commandments which I have given them, not only to say, but to do." Doctrine and Covenants 84:54-57 "Are the hearts of the Latter-day Saints prepared to have eternal life given to them in mass, . . ? It cannot be done! The sheep and goats are together; the wheat and the tares are growing together [referring to the Latter-Day Saints - the Church]; the good and the bad are mixed; and they must so remain until the time when Jesus Christ will say, "gather my sheep into my fold; gather my wheat into my garner, and let the tares, and chaff, and stubble be burned. That is not yet." 4 October 1854, Manuscript Sermons of Brigham Young, p. 331 "Behold, verily I say unto you, the angels are crying unto the Lord day and night, who are ready and waiting to be sent forth to reap down the fields; But the Lord saith unto them, pluck not up the tares while the blade is yet tender , lest you destroy the wheat also. Therefore, let the wheat and the tares grow together until the harvest is fully ripe; then ye shall first gather out the wheat from among the tares, and after the gathering of the wheat, behold and lo, the tares are bound in bundles, and the field remaineth to be burned." Doctrine and Covenants 86:5-7
"And if we as a people do not hold ourselves on the altar ready to be used with our means and all that God has bestowed upon us, according to the master's bidding for the upbuilding of His Kingdom upon the earth, He will pass on and get somebody else; because He will get a people that will do it. I do not mean to say that He will pass on and leave this people; no, there will come up from the midst of this people that people which has been talked so much about." Daniel H. Wells - Des. News 9 December 1882
"A people will come forth from among us, who will be zealous of good works, willing to do the bidding of the Lord, who will be taught in His ways, and who will walk in His paths." Daniel H. Wells - Deseret News 6 November 1875
"But the time will come when the Lord will CHOOSE A PEOPLE OUT OF THIS PEOPLE upon whom he will bestow his choicest blessings." Heber C. Kimball - Deseret News, 9 November 1865
"I know there is a people in the hearts core of this people, that will arise in their majesty in a day that is near at hand, and push spiritual things to the front; a people who will stand up for God." Orson F. Whitney - Deseret News 11 August 1889
"There must be a reformation, there will be a reformation among this people, for God will not cast off this kingdom and this people, but he will plead with this people, he will plead with those in high places [why?], he will plead with the Priesthood of this Church, until Zion shall become clean before him. I do not know but that it would be an utter impossibility to commence and carry out some principles pertaining to Zion right in the midst of this people. They have strayed so far that to get a people who would conform to heavenly laws it may be needful to lead some from the midst of this people and commence anew somewhere in the regions round about in these mountains." [and this observation was during a time when the Church was still teaching the Gospel and its' doctrines as they were originally revealed!] Orson Pratt - J. Of D. 15:361
"Before the great day of the Lord shall come, and the day of righteousness and peace dawn upon this fair creation, two potent cleansing forces shall be in active operation. The first of these is the preparation of a choice people, purified by an application to their lives, as individuals, and a community, of the principles of the Gospel of peace. Such a body will evolve FROM THOSE CALLED LATTER-DAY SAINTS . . . And from the remnant of the whole house of Israel will emanate the nucleus or foundation from which will spring the righteous, millennial population of our globe." George Q. Cannon - Millennial Star 42:585
"I want to say to you, my brethren, the time is coming when we will be mixed up in these now peaceful valleys, to that extent that it will be difficult to tell the face of a Saint from the face of an enemy to the people of God. Then, brethren, lookout for the great sieve. For there will be a great sifting time, and many will fall; for I say unto you there is a test, a test, A TEST coming, and who will be able to stand?" Life of Heber C. Kimball by Orson F. Whitney, p. 445 "The time is here when the Saints cannot come to Joseph F. Smith, Francis M. Lyman, or Charles W. Penrose, or others for council. But they must go to the Lord and not depend upon the arm of flesh for guidance." Joseph F. Smith, Salt Lake Temple 1909 "The church is not an end in itself. Men do not exist for the sake of the Church. The Church is an instrument, a means of bringing to pass the welfare and salvation of men. . . . In the mind and life of Jesus, religion itself was a means to an end, something to nourish and develop the souls of men, to be a joy and a blessing to them. . . . If religion itself is a means to the perfection and joy of man, how much more ought the Church to be considered a means to accomplish something good in human life. The Church is a sacred, divine, and necessary institution to Latter-day Saints, but even so it remains a vehicle." An Intro- duction to the Gospel, Lowell L. Bennion, p. 208, 209

Sponsored Links:
2nd Nov, 2007 - 7:31pm / Post ID: #

Apostatize Church Mormon Can

My own heart says it can't, at least with the current apostles.

But I could see portions of the church apostatizing at some time if there were a "hard doctrine" introduced or re-introduced. If the Law of Consecration were to return there may be some who would find this difficult to live. Personally I would find the Doctrine of Polygamy difficult to live with at this time in my life.

Consider the parable of the virgins as a parable of the Church. If 5 of the ten virgins lamps were not ready in the Last Day, could this be a indication that 50 % of the Churches Members might leave at some time due to apostasy?

I do not know.

2nd Nov, 2007 - 7:34pm / Post ID: #

Can The Mormon Church Apostatize? Studies Doctrine Mormon

There is a Thread in this Board called, 'The Great Divide', there are some good arguments there about the possibility of this in the future.

Post Date: 10th Sep, 2008 - 11:53pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I heard a masterful quote once, something like "If the church was cut off, do you think the acting prophet would stand up in conference and say, Brothers and Sisters, I am sorry to announce that we've been cut off."

laugh.gif, I promise you wouldn't hear about it. And the church would still ahve more truth than others, for a while anyway. You would still be able to get truth but not as easily as it will be hidden and require you to search for it more diligently. You'd see the church hiding truth or denying it rather than explaining or teaching it. Some truth would be taught in meetings but it would be on a very shallow level. People would be encouraged to follow leaders blindly and without question with negative results or ridicule if you didn't.

11th Sep, 2008 - 12:00am / Post ID: #

Amonhi wasn't Joseph Smith who said that if we see the Temple Ordinances changing is a sign in itself that the Church is apostatizing?

Post Date: 11th Sep, 2008 - 12:06am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I am not familiar with the quote, but from the loss of information I have seen I would agree. You can even get your endowment in the endowment these days.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
27th Jul, 2012 - 11:36pm / Post ID: #

Can Mormon Church Apostatize

I just finished responding to a similar topic but let me say this, I believe individuals of the church can apostatize but as a whole the church cannot.

> TOPIC: Can The Mormon Church Apostatize?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,