A Mormon In The House

A Mormon House - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 1st Nov, 2007 - 12:01am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

30th Oct, 2007 - 11:09pm / Post ID: #

A Mormon In The House

Rather off topic, but...
I started this here because it dealt with an LDS character and the show itself--I hope that is correct, if not I will see where it goes.

What are your thoughts and have you seen the show? Do you like it?
I do not watch television, so I don't know anything about the show except what is in the article-but I thought it brought up an interesting point, would they attack the Pope (make light of him) as they did Joseph Smith and garments (magic underwear). Does this happen often on TV?

I posted the first part of it here with a link if you are interested in reading it.

Is the Mormon character on "House" something to celebrate or to scorn?
Pretty much depends on how you look at it.

For those of you who don't keep up with "House," Dr. Gregory House (Hugh Laurie) is a brilliant but thoroughly obnoxious doctor who mocks everything and everyone. This season has revolved around his search for new doctors to join his team, which is dedicated to diagnosing patients in incredibly difficult cases.

One candidate to join the team on the popular and often ludicrous "House" is a young doctor, Cole (Edi Gathegi), who's smart, sympathetic - and a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Cole is a BYU graduate, a single father and black, which you could easily argue is a good thing all by itself. It certainly goes against the stereotypes.

Having a Mormon around, of course, offers House plenty of opportunities to be House. Not surprisingly, he is decidedly anti-religious in general.

"House" writers don't seem to have done a lot of research into the LDS Church. And they think they're a lot more clever than they actually are.

It's certainly not a bad thing to have a sympathetic LDS character on a hit TV show. But it's not necessarily a good thing to have so much misinformation and venom spouted, either.

Sponsored Links:
31st Oct, 2007 - 12:51am / Post ID: #

House The Mormon A

I love house. It is a good show. I think that the LDS character is a good character and I like him. Sure house belittles him and uses stereo types like polygamy jokes, comments about his garments, and being black and LDS. But that is expected behavior by House.

House is a drug addict, and he is miserable. Every relationship that he has had has been destroyed by his behavior. The show does not glorify this. They at times show House's loneness and disparity. house also deals a lot about faith and God. House has destroyed his relationship with God and is always battling God through his words and actions with other religious characters or events. Yet through his jabs, and comments about God, he seems to never destroy the others's faith or the divine interaction. Thus leaving House to wonder and unsatisfied with his seeming victory over God. No matter how many times House proclaims that there is no God, he is genially driven back to the that question, looking for answers to his fears and perhaps the question what if God does exist.
The LDS character this year is a consistent character to keep House's fight with God alive. The LDS character is honest and strong in his faith, an anti-house if you will. I think that it is a compliment to use a LDS character as this anti-house. They are taking him and his convictions serious and a viable alternative to Houses' anti-faith. Sure house's remarks are offensive, but he is offensive and the show is about his journey and attempts (often failed and flawed) to move into lasting relationships with others which must come through God. I do not think the show glorifies House's flaws as good, it really shows the damage and misery they produce in his life.

31st Oct, 2007 - 6:31am / Post ID: #

A Mormon In The House Studies Doctrine Mormon

Thanks for your reply, Isiah53. As I mentioned I have never seen an episode so I am glad that you wrote your thoughts on it.

The writer of the article did mention that even though he didn't care so much for it that he was a minority as the show has many fans. I was just curious when I read about it and thought I would post to see what others thought.

It makes a lot more sense to me now anyhow.

1st Nov, 2007 - 12:01am / Post ID: #

House The Mormon A

I love the show.

And its good to have a Mormon that does not fit a stereotype.
The new guy is flawed like most of us. Yet he is strong in his faith. He is a Single Dad, with a son. I am not sure of the complete back story but apparently he went to BYU and had a son.

He is one of the more complex characters/doctors (besides House) that have been on the show. It is kind of funny the stereotypes that House uses to egg Cole on (bringing up the show "Big Love", all the same anti-mormon stuff that people mention). He Gowds the Guy on so much that he takes a swing at Dr. House. He immediately thinks he is getting fired, but he actually gets to stay on.

It is interesting how TV focuses on his religion, while we are clueless on the religion of every other DR or Patient in the Hospital. This doesn't bother me, its just interesting that this is used as a story line.

I think he is a very sympathetic character and you kind of want to root for him.

> TOPIC: A Mormon In The House

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,