Conspiracy Theories Not Allowed At BYU

Conspiracy Theories Allowed Byu - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 28th Aug, 2007 - 6:20pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Mormon Professors not allowed to speak their mind
Post Date: 11th Sep, 2006 - 1:58am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Conspiracy Theories Not Allowed

BYU Professor on Paid Leave for 9-11 Theory

Brigham Young University administrators are trying to find out the extent of one professor's involvement in blaming the September 11th terrorist attacks on the government.
Ref. Source 6

Sponsored Links:
11th Sep, 2006 - 12:55pm / Post ID: #

BYU Allowed Theories Conspiracy

I have very mixed feelings about this. From one side, if this is his personal belief, then he is perfectly justified in holding it and even publishing it. However, if he is teaching it in the classroom, or using his position as a BYU professor to add credibility to it, then he is not justified.

But, it does highlight the fact that BYU is very intrusive into its professors' lives. And this does carry over into a general feeling that the Church is oppressive towards personal opinions, whether that feeling is justified or not.

11th Sep, 2006 - 12:59pm / Post ID: #

Conspiracy Theories Not Allowed At BYU Studies Doctrine Mormon

BYU already has a reputation of being the most censored university in the USA, so this does not come as a surprise. However, as I look back I can understand some of the frustration of the professors. On one hand you are told to 'seek out the mysteries' (or maybe this is being changed to 'seek out the simple things'), but at the same time, when you do you find yourself met by a brick wall.

11th Sep, 2006 - 8:46pm / Post ID: #

On one hand you are told to 'seek out the mysteries' (or maybe this is being changed to 'seek out the simple things'), but at the same time, when you do you find yourself met by a brick wall.

I think it is more like: "Seek out the mysteries but keep it to yourself" rolleyes.gif

21st Oct, 2006 - 4:56am / Post ID: #

This is a 5 minute long clip where the professor tries to get his theory across (he really does not do a good job), see if you think there is any merit to what he is saying:

21st Oct, 2006 - 2:30pm / Post ID: #

He obviously isn't a good speaker. I disagree completely with him, and think he is just another person trying to find a way to take attention away from the Muslim extremists who DO things like this, whenever they can.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
21st Oct, 2006 - 6:15pm / Post ID: #

Conspiracy Theories Allowed BYU

You know when I first read about this I thought that the guy was one of those go getter, outspoken types, but this guy seems far from that. In fact, the words he chose does not seem to merit paid leave? I could not understand why they did not pay that clip for him of building 7 falling, it is almost as though they did not want to entertain his sentiment.

Post Date: 28th Aug, 2007 - 6:20pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Conspiracy Theories Allowed BYU Mormon Doctrine Studies

BYU expressed doubts that the professor properly used peer review prior to the publishing of his opinions. In essence, this guy was putting forward a theory that had been widely discredited by top physicists and engineers. Frankly, it made BYU look bad. BYU stated that it was not that he had a PERSONAL opinion on the cause for the WTC to fall. It was that he was using BYU's name in publishing that opinion.

That crossed the line. While BYU was proceeding to investigate whether the work was up to academic standards, the professor agreed to leave BYU. I think it's proper, since a peer review of the work would likely have harshly criticized his "findings."

Rather off topic, but...
JB's quote

BYU already has a reputation of being the most censored university in the USA

By whom? I'd couch BYU right alongside the Catholic University of America. I can think of other religious-sponsored institutions that use similar standards. And the accrediting organization for BYU recognizes that BYU's standards are fair and provide for academic freedom within reasonable bounds of not forcing BYU (or other similar institutions) of sponsoring opinions contrary to religious beliefs.

Reconcile Edited: tortdog on 28th Aug, 2007 - 6:23pm

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Conspiracy Theories Not Allowed At BYU

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,