Can we ever understand God?

The Book of Mormon tells us...

Jacob 4:8
8 Behold, great and marvelous are the works of the Lord. How
unsearchable are the depths of the mysteries of him; and it is
impossible that man should find out all his ways
. And no man
knoweth of his ways save it be revealed unto him; wherefore,
brethren, despise not the revelations of God.

It is impossible to know the Mysteries of God save through revelation, but still it is likely that we could never comprehend all because God is unserchable. It is funny how this life men claim to understand God so well and also understand the will of God so well.

Sponsored Links:
11th Dec, 2003 - 5:06pm / Post ID: #

God Understand Possible Is

It is so interesting to me to have what knowledge that we *do* have, and what we have is from scripture and revelation only.

We are commanded to be perfect, even as He is -- therefore, He has to provide a way for us to obey that commandment. In other words, He has to teach us to be like Him. And we must learn what it takes.

And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.
(Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 3:7)

Roz

1st Nov, 2007 - 11:46pm / Post ID: #

Is It Possible To Understand God? Studies Doctrine Mormon

I believe we can receive enough revealed knowledge to help us progress in this life.

But I believe, regardless of our spiritual progression in this life, there are just some things God withholds from us. We can only progress so far as unresurrected beings (regardless of our "status" as Prophet or Nursery Leader) and there is a limit to what we can know here.

There are ordinances that cannot even be found in the temple, that are necessary for our continued exaltation.

From Brigham Young Journal of Discourses

It is supposed by this people that we have all the ordinances in our possession for life and salvation, and exaltation, and that we are administering in these ordinances. This is not the case. We are in possession of all the ordinances that can be administered in the flesh; but there are other ordinances and administrations that must be administered beyond this world. I know you would ask what they are. I will mention one. We have not, neither can we receive here, the ordinance and the keys of the resurrection. They will be given to those who have passed off this stage of action and have received their bodies again, as many have already done and many more will.

We do not have a knowledge of how the ordinance of Resurrection is done. There are probably other ordinances that we will not know until they are given to us after we die. We are only given as much as we need to progress in this life. All knowledge that God has can only be received in a future time after the resurrection and after a certain amount of undisclosed time.

> TOPIC: Is It Possible To Understand God?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,