Arizona Illegal Immigrants - Page 2 of 11

QUOTE I would be targeted and probably assumed - Page 2 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 1st May, 2010 - 6:58pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (11) »
Arizona Illegal Immigrants Americas toughest sheriff is doing the work of the US Immigration. He is literally hunting for illegal immigrants.
Post Date: 28th Apr, 2010 - 10:23pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Arizona Illegal Immigrants - Page 2

Immigration Advocates Rise Up in Anger Over Arizona Law

"Public furor is mounting across the nation over Arizona's new 'show me your papers or go to jail' immigration law," writes Democracy Now! co-host Juan Gonzalez in his New York Daily News column. "Meanwhile, Attorney General Eric Holder said he may step in to challenge the new law, which permits police to stop residents merely on the "reasonable suspicion" that they are unlawfully in the country." Ref. Source 1

Sponsored Links:
29th Apr, 2010 - 5:51am / Post ID: #

Immigrants Illegal Arizona

Unfortunately the Obama Administration is misrepresenting the facts in this debate(read lying). In the state of Arizona anytime a police officer stops someone for any reason (traffic stop to an arrest) they ask for identification. Why must someone who is a citizen produce documents that prove identity and someone who is here illegally not expect the same treatment.

The law prohibits racial profiling (a police officer may face penalties if he uses racial profiling) and a police officer can only ask for proof of citizenship if they have stopped someone for another reason.

If the United States Government is not protecting the State of Arizona from illegal immigration, The state has the right to enforce such laws.

Please read the full bill at the following link. To me it is a very reasonable law, and mirrors the federal law almost exactly.

Source2

International Level: Politician / Political Participation: 109 ActivistPoliticianPolitician 10.9%

Post Date: 29th Apr, 2010 - 6:59am / Post ID: #

Arizona Illegal Immigrants
A Friend

Arizona Illegal Immigrants History & Civil Business Politics

international QUOTE (Oliron @ 26-Apr 10, 6:32 AM)
Newcomers here may need to deal with that as part of becoming an American.

Two things strike me as wrong with this situation. First, it has never been part of what we consider our "American Heritage" to have to show police our immigration/birth certificate etc. However, never before have we had a situation where so many people cheat our immigration system and com across illegally to reap so many benefits from taxpayers in this country. This by the way is also a slap in the face of those who go through the mind numbing process of applying to come into this country legally.

Also, the representative from Arizona blabbering on about how he doesn't want the federal government to cooperate, I say good riddance. If they had "cooperated" in the first place, maybe Arizona wouldn't be in such a bad situation right now.

29th Apr, 2010 - 2:50pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Immigrants Illegal Arizona

international QUOTE
1882 The Chinese Exclusion Act: Prohibited certain laborers from immigrating to the United States.
1885 and 1887: Alien Contract Labor laws which prohibited certain laborers from immigrating to the United States.
1891: The Federal Government assumed the task of inspecting, admitting, rejecting, and processing all immigrants seeking admission to the you.S.
1892: On January 2, a new Federal US immigration station opened on Ellis Island in New York Harbor.
1903: This Act restated the 1891 provisions concerning land borders and called for rules covering entry as well as inspection of aliens crossing the Mexican border.
1907 The US immigration Act of 1907: Reorganized the states bordering Mexico (Arizona, New Mexico and a large part of Texas) into Mexican Border District to stem the flow of immigrants into the United States.
1917 - 1924: A series of laws were enacted to further limit the number of new immigrants. These laws established the quota system and imposed passport requirements. They expanded the categories of excludable aliens and banned all Asians except Japanese.
1924 Act: Reduced the number of US immigration visas and allocated them on the basis of national origin.
1940 The Alien Registration Act: Required all aliens (non-U.S. Citizens) within the United States to register with the Government and receive an Alien Registration Receipt Card (the predecessor of the "Green Card").
1950 Passage of the Internal Security Act: Rendered the Alien Registration Receipt Card even more valuable. Immigrants with legal status had their cards replaced with what generally became known as the "green card" (Form I-151).
1952 Act: Established the modern day US immigration system. It created a quota system which imposes limits on a per-country basis. It also established the preference system that gave priority to family members and people with special skills.
1968 Act: Eliminated US immigration discrimination based on race, place of birth, sex and residence. It also officially abolished restrictions on Oriental US immigration.
1976 Act: Eliminated preferential treatment for residents of the Western Hemisphere.
1980 Act: Established a general policy governing the admission of refugees.
1986 Act: Focused on curtailing illegal US immigration. It legalized hundred of thousands of illegal immigrants. The 1986 Immigration Act is commonly know as the 1986 Immigration Amnesty. It also introduced the employer sanctions program which fines employers for hiring illegal workers. It also passed tough laws to prevent bogus marriage fraud.
1990 Act: Established an annual limit for certain categories of immigrants. It was aimed at helping you.S. Businesses attract skilled foreign workers; thus, it expanded the business class categories to favor persons who can make educational, professional or financial contributions. It created the Immigrant Investor Program.
USA Patriot Act 2001: Uniting and Strengthening America by providing appropriate tools required to intercept and obstruct terrorism.
Creation of the USCIS 2003: As of March 1, 2003, the US immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) becomes part of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The department's new you.S. Citizenship and US immigration Services (USCIS) function is to handle US immigration services and benefits, including citizenship, applications for permanent residence, non-immigrant applications, asylum, and refugee services. US immigration enforcement functions are now under the Department's Border and Transportation Security Directorate, known as the Bureau of US immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).

It looks like immigration has been evolving over some time. At one point excluding anyone who was Asian, except for Japanese. I remember some stories from WWII stating that many Jews where turned away back to Germany, even ones who had a considerable wealth. Although now we look on this as possibly wrong, at the time maybe they thought it necessary. I think we need to advance carefully taking everything into consideration. However an outrage at having to prove citizenship shows how one sided this has become I think. Yes it could be considered an extreme stance and it can be considered a law that is being created for a specific people in mind. However I think this law if used properly will serve as a good tool for policing our borders.

Thinking about it now though it will only take one or two bad instances to stop this law from sticking. Maybe that is a good thing I don't know.

International Level: Junior Politician / Political Participation: 70 ActivistPoliticianJunior Politician 7%

Post Date: 29th Apr, 2010 - 9:58pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Immigrants Illegal Arizona

I would love to see all states copy this bill and protect those who are here legally and naturally. We do not need illegals running rampant all over the states causing lots of problems in the system. Why do you think we are in some of the financial mess we are in now.

30th Apr, 2010 - 2:53am / Post ID: #

I can't see why Arizona is receiving so much flak for this. I personally am not hugely against illegal immigration in that I understand that there are some people who can't get legalized due to paperwork etc. PRes. Bush made it alot easier for people to get legalized, and yet illegal immigration continues. When I get pulled over, I'm asked to show ID, so is anyone else. I don't see what is so different about this law. The law doesn't seem to be anything new.

International Level: Politics 101 / Political Participation: 3 ActivistPoliticianPolitics 101 0.3%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
1st May, 2010 - 12:28pm / Post ID: #

Arizona Illegal Immigrants - Page 2

international QUOTE (stevejames10 @ 29-Apr 10, 10:53 PM)
When I get pulled over, I'm asked to show ID, so is anyone else. I don't see what is so different about this law. The law doesn't seem to be anything new.

I am against illegal immigration but with this particular law I am a bit apprehensive. You see what happens is if I was in the US LEGALLY, I would be targeted and probably assumed I was illegal just because I'm Latina. I think that's the biggest problem with this law. I cannot imagine a LEGAL immigrant having to pull out his/her ID card every five minutes to satisfy the police just because of the way they look.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

1st May, 2010 - 6:58pm / Post ID: #

Arizona Illegal Immigrants Politics Business Civil & History - Page 2

international QUOTE
I would be targeted and probably assumed I was illegal just because I'm Latina. I think that's the biggest problem with this law. I cannot imagine a LEGAL immigrant having to pull out his/her ID card every five minutes to satisfy the police just because of the way they look.

I can understand the frustration of that. However, many people, both illegal and legal already experience that. Sadly, that's what it has come to. Many minority groups are already being oppressed in that way. Why not make it easier to catch illegal immigrants and deal specifically with those breaking the law so that those who are here legally won't deal with such treatment in the future?

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please look at how we use the Quote Tags here. When you do not use these tags source material that is not your own may appear to be yours when it is not. See our Constructive Posting Policy.

International Level: Politics 101 / Political Participation: 3 ActivistPoliticianPolitics 101 0.3%

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (11) »

> TOPIC: Arizona Illegal Immigrants

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,