Danite

Danite - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 31st Dec, 2008 - 3:20am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
17th Nov, 2007 - 8:59pm / Post ID: #

Danite

Just curious, anyone here ever heard of the name of Danite(s)?

Sponsored Links:
18th Nov, 2007 - 2:15am / Post ID: #

Danite

I have heard a couple different things-the one I remember the most is they were like "avenging angels" or that type of thing and took the law into their own hands.
Somewhere I read that Porter Rockwell was one of them but then read somewhere else that wasn't true?

19th Nov, 2007 - 2:52am / Post ID: #

Danite Studies Doctrine Mormon

Is this soemthing related to the one of the tribes of Israel like the tribe of Dan?

19th Nov, 2007 - 5:47am / Post ID: #

Danite

You know, later after I posted I had that same thought. I am pretty sure that Dan is one of the tribes of Israel. The Danites were the first thing that popped into my mind. (from church history)

26th Dec, 2007 - 3:40pm / Post ID: #

Danite

There are many theories but just a few can hit the nail on the head.

26th Dec, 2007 - 4:25pm / Post ID: #

Danite

I don't get what you are saying. Did one of us get the right answer? Which?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 30th Dec, 2007 - 10:31pm / Post ID: #

Danite

Name: Brandonslc

Comments: This is a topic steeped in controversy and, of course, heresay and speculation. I did a big Google search and studied this topic and I think I have some resolution to it.

Joseph Smith never officially or unofficially (that I'm aware of) authorized the organization of the Danites. It originally had reference to the Tribe of Dan. It flowed from a military campaign in the Nauvoo times that Porter Rockwell had been a part of, among others. You fast forward to Salt Lake and Brigham Young and nay-sayers like to say that these Danites from Nauvoo were given the title "Avenging Angels" by Brigham Young, to carry out "Blood Atonement" tasks the prophet sent them on, like eliminating any anti-mormons that wouldn't cease their preachings. I personally think it's garbage.

It's not a secret that Porter Rockwell was Joseph Smith's personal bodyguard, and subsequently Brigham Young's. It's not out of the question that other men had this responsibility as well, and undoubtedly there were circumstances where harm would've come to the prophet without intercession, but this same principle occurs today with our General Authorities and the honorable men that protect them.

31st Dec, 2008 - 3:20am / Post ID: #

Danite Mormon Doctrine Studies

QUOTE (Josh @ 26-Dec 07, 8:25 AM)
Did one of us get the right answer? Which?

I am curious as well for Danite to answer this question....I am interested in what you were thinking when you made your post.

According to the post made by Brandonslc it seems both answers were somewhat right--and thanks for posting that info. I have heard those things as well that Joseph never authorized it, more like it was a group of saints that got tired of being persecuted and took it upon themselves to become the law or revenge the wrongs done to them and their people.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Danite

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,