Did Not Serve A Mission?

Did Serve Mission - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 22nd Jun, 2008 - 5:55pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
President Monson and others
22nd Jun, 2008 - 1:20am / Post ID: #

Did Not Serve A Mission?

What happened with "Every young man should serve a mission?". It is interesting to notice that even though some were unable to serve because they were fighting in WWII, other apostles in the same situation did serve after returning, others decided not to.

Did you know?:

1. The entire First Presidency (Monson, Eyring, Uchdorf) did not serve a mission when they were young men?

2. Howard W. Hunter did not serve one either (I am pretty sure other Prophets did not serve one as well).

3. Elders Nelson, Oaks, Hales and Packer did not serve either.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links:
22nd Jun, 2008 - 3:04am / Post ID: #

Mission Serve Did

Well, first off when these men were young it was not common practice yet for "every young man" to serve a mission. I will see if I can find something more accurate, but I believe it was President Kimball who came out officially with the edict. Secondly, these men have served lifelong missions. President Monson was a Bishop at age 23 and has never stopped serving the Lord since. There are many ways to serve missions. Long before the "every young man" we have been told "every member a missionary." I do not know the individual circumstances surrounding why any of the GA's did or did not serve missions. That does not make them any more or less qualified for the Lord's service. Many converts do not have the opportunity to serve missions while young. But everyone will have an opportunity to serve missions at some point in their life. How well will we answer the call?

22nd Jun, 2008 - 3:10am / Post ID: #

Did Not Serve A Mission? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Yes, I am aware that the statement "Every young man should serve a mission" came long after these men were in age to serve, I was just making the connection with the strong advice of recent years for young worthy men to serve one. I found very interesting these men did not serve one. It wasn't meant as a way to put them down because they did not serve one but more of a historical fact.

I understand what you are saying about different types of missions but I was referring specifically to regular ones young men serve.

22nd Jun, 2008 - 3:54am / Post ID: #

Mission Serve Did

I guess I am missing the connection somewhere. I guess it shows that while mission service is strongly encouraged those who, for whatever reason, did not have the opportunity they can still do great things in the service of the Lord. It should not serve as an excuse for young men to say, "well, they didn't serve so why should I?" It is still stressed throughout the Church that every worthy young male should serve a full-time mission if possible. The Church has also in the last few years tightened the eligibility requirements. Some young men are finding they are not up to snuff, so to speak.

22nd Jun, 2008 - 4:02am / Post ID: #

Mission Serve Did

The connection I was trying to make is the fact that these men did not serve a mission yet are the ones encouraging others to do so. Nothing wrong with that, since I believe we take counsel regardless of the person's experiences. I just find quite interesting as well as curious (mostly) as to how come some did serve in similar situations (after fighting in WWII). I suppose life gets in our way sometimes.

22nd Jun, 2008 - 4:08am / Post ID: #

Did Not Serve A Mission?

I think you are right about life getting in our way sometimes. It would be interesting to hear what they have to say on the subject. Do they have any regrets? Would they have done things differently given the choice? What would they say to a young man who was unsure about serving a mission and asked them why they didn't?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
22nd Jun, 2008 - 4:14am / Post ID: #

Did Serve Mission

You are getting my point now *smile*. That's exactly what I was thinking. I am very curious as to why they haven't and if they have any regrets. I know a couple of men who did not serve for different reasons and they all have regrets.

Rather off topic, but...
It is also interesting to notice that Pres. Monson and Pres. Urchdorf have small families. Pres. Monson has three kids and Urchdorf two kids. You know, no "typical" LDS families. If not, ask Brigham Young. laugh.gif

22nd Jun, 2008 - 5:55pm / Post ID: #

Did Serve Mission Mormon Doctrine Studies

That is interesting, how did you find that out LDS_forever? I was just thinking that for me it says that although you may not have done one thing important it doesn't mean there aren't plenty of other important things to do. It also shows me that despite not serving many members should look at what they can do instead of should have done. I plan to serve my mission.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Did Not Serve A Mission?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,