Catholics Give Demons Too Much Credit?

Catholics Give Demons Credit - Studies of Catholicism - Posted: 4th Jul, 2008 - 4:33am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 

A genuine question...
19th Nov, 2007 - 2:36am / Post ID: #

This is first of all a genuine question. Why is it that the Catholic Church gives the demons and devils of the underworld so much power, or is that something portrayed by Hollywood? I ask this because every time I see something about a Catholic Priest trying to conduct an exorcism it seems like he is fighting a losing battle. The same is also seen in the popular Comic hero: Constantine. Forgive my fixture of what may be fiction mixed with reality, but it is a question. Thanks in advance.

Catholics Give Demons Too Much Credit? (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
19th Nov, 2007 - 3:34am / Post ID: #

Credit Too Demons Give Catholics

Since Catholicism has been around for a LONG time, you need to actually think about the history of the church in regards to this question. Long ago, it was thought that anyone that was acting strangely was likely possessed by a spirit or demon. In actuality, it was most likely that the person was mentally ill. Today, we are able to diagnose mental illness and the church recognizes this as well. As a result, the church authorizes very few exorcisms (a priest must be ordained as well as have this particular knowlege) and only in cases where it is determined that there is no mental illness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exorcism

There are other religions that also perform exorcisms (Protestant, Anglican, LDS, Judaism, Hinduism, Islam and Scientology). The attached wikipedia article is pretty good at giving a overall view of each religions beliefs and some notable exorcisms.

Many of the exorcisms that you hear about are not actually from the Catholic Church, but either offshoots from the church or from totally different religions. Areas on the globe that have the highest amount of exorcisms are those that have not yet embraced pyschology and mental medicne yet.

19th Nov, 2007 - 3:42am / Post ID: #

Catholics Give Demons Too Much Credit? Catholicism Studies

Good input, but the meat of my question has not been answered.

QUOTE (JB)
Catholic Church gives the demons and devils of the underworld so much power, or is that something portrayed by Hollywood?

I am not asking how an Exorcism is to be determined. I am asking why is it that when it is actually taking place the demon or devil seems to have these super powerful influences? I do not recall a Biblical position for that, hence my question.

Post Date: 19th Nov, 2007 - 5:58am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I'd like a clarification on what you mean by giving the demons so much power, but I think I have an idea of what you're asking.

Demons are fallen angels and their leader, the devil, is the chief demon. Think of the devil as the leader of an insurgency group against God and the demons as his troops. The devil is waging a guerrilla war against heaven through demonic influence and possession. The Church recognizes this threat and tries to combat it, hence the Church giving power through attention.
I believe that most of the "powers" are mostly the product of Hollywood.

Reconcile Edited: Secruss on 19th Nov, 2007 - 5:59am

19th Nov, 2007 - 11:44am / Post ID: #

QUOTE (Secruss)
I'd like a clarification on what you mean by giving the demons so much power, but I think I have an idea of what you're asking.

By power I mean credit, not actual power. In other words, why does the Catholic Church make these demons out to be more powerful or stronger than they are or than their own priests?

3rd Jul, 2008 - 4:14pm / Post ID: #

That Is an interesting thought JB because I think the Catholics do give the demon too credit as to how powerful they are. Demons can not read our minds or thoughts but just our body language and can only place thing before us to influence out thoughts and choices. Once that is accomplished then they keep working so that we are corrupt in thought to think their ways are right. By giving them more power in voice it helps bind the followers to the priest and the Catholic Church following. Like scaring little children who are uneducated about spooks of the night.

Yes they can take possession of our bodies but only if one is not protect by Goad or knowledgeable in these ways. We are able to draw on the power of God him self to expose and ban demons so in this way we are stronger. They can how ever revert their attack on the one who castes them out and if unskilled in the matter they in turn can be plagued buy that demon. Until they call upon the word then they will be freed again.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 3rd Jul, 2008 - 5:26pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Catholics Give Demons Too Credit

Good answer. I think a lot of it is just a bunch of hype caused by hollywood and actors making a mountain out of a mole hill.

While I believe in demons and angels and I believe there is a struggle going on between the two forces, I think it is not like hollywood portrays it. I believe it is a personal struggle everyone must face. If you wish to lead the good life and follow the path to truth you are going to be set upon by temptations. Only you know what you can be tempted by. Therefore only you have the power to fight against it.

4th Jul, 2008 - 4:33am / Post ID: #

Catholics Give Demons Too Credit Studies Catholicism

Again, I would look back into history for part of this answer. I would say many of those, centuries ago, that got exorcisms were actually mentally ill. The main reason for exorcisms centuries ago was strange behavior. As you can imagine, trying to exorcise the mental illness out of someone would be quite a task. Should the person be perhaps manic depressive, the last exorcism might coincide with their last manic phase, thus appearing to have worked. The deamon gone and the priest a hero. However, for the vast majority, all the effort of the priest would be in vain.

Possession is believed to be physical within the Catholic Church and thus explains the danger in trying to rid a person of a demon. The possessed is still presumed to have free-will, but physically the demon is in control. Supernatural strength, uncontrol blasphemy, violent adversions to many religious symbols, etc... So yes, as it is stated can be a very dangerous situation, but by all means Hollywood has over emphasized this element of possession. Can the demon make things fly off a wall and hit the priest? As explained in Catholism, no. Can the demon have the possessed physically throw something at the priest or perhaps if unrestrainded toss the priest about? Yes. Now before they even get to the point of doing a exorcism, these things have to be verified or it is just likely a mental illness. However, again, the amount of people believed to be truly possessed is very small in todays world.

The Chaplet of St. Michael the Archangel is commonly used today for mild forms of demonic possession. Frequent prayer to the Chaplet, envolkes the spirit of St. Michael and helps rid some of demons. So apparently, there are some demure demons as well...

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Catholics Give Demons Too Much Credit?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,