Lincoln Photo At Gettysburg Believed Found

Lincoln Photo Gettysburg Believed Found - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 1st Dec, 2007 - 10:49am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

21st Nov, 2007 - 4:58pm / Post ID: #

Lincoln Photo At Gettysburg Believed Found

A history buff magnified a vintage stereoview to see a tall man in a stovepipe hat saluting troops.

GETTYSBURG, Pa. - From a distance it looks like a nondescript Civil War-era photograph: Union soldiers and townspeople crowd around the grand memorial arch that marks the entrance to Soldiers' Cemetery.
But zoom in closer, really close, and a startling image takes shape at the center of the crowd. A tall, slim figure astride a horse. A familiar profile. That signature stovepipe hat, a white gloved hand raised in salute.

Could it be President Abraham Lincoln shortly before delivering his Gettysburg Address?

Some Civil War scholars and experts in early photography believe it is.

It is one of two three-dimensional images taken, experts say, within minutes of each other as Lincoln arrived Nov. 19, 1863, to dedicate the cemetery just four months after the bloody battle. If it is Lincoln, the photograph holds enormous historical importance and adds two invaluable images to the slim archive of Lincoln photographs.

"This find doubles the number of apparent images of Lincoln at his greatest moment," said Bob Zeller, president of the Center for Civil War Photography, who explained that only two other images of Lincoln at Gettysburg were known to exist. "When I saw it for the first time, my jaw dropped."

The latest discovery - unveiled formally at the annual conference of the Lincoln Forum yesterday - was hiding in plain sight.

Naysayers have emerged, but that doesn't bother Richter or Zeller.

"There's going to be debate," Zeller said, "but I believe we've found it."

https://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/phila...a/11541376.html

My mom is a huge civil war buff so I thought maybe someone else might be interested in this.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 17 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 1.7%

Sponsored Links:
1st Dec, 2007 - 12:21am / Post ID: #

Found Believed Gettysburg Photo Lincoln

I wonder if is really him? And I also wonder the authenticity of the picture? These days technology allows anyone to add anything on a picture and make it look very real.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

1st Dec, 2007 - 10:49am / Post ID: #

Lincoln Photo At Gettysburg Believed Found History & Civil Business Politics

That very well could be true, your right about the modern technology--I am amazed at what they can do. I added it because I thought it would be interesting to follow it and see what happens. Especially if anyone is a civil war buff.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 17 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 1.7%

> TOPIC: Lincoln Photo At Gettysburg Believed Found

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,