Two Lds Missionaries Vanish In Martinique

Two Lds Missionaries Vanish Martinique - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 8th Dec, 2007 - 1:39pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

6th Dec, 2007 - 2:59am / Post ID: #

Martinique is right here in the Caribbean and belongs to the West Indies Mission. I hope they are found safe but I have the impression they probably fell. sad.gif

FORT-DE-FRANCE, Martinique (AP) -- Two Mormon missionaries who vanished while hiking a volcanic peak are being sought on this eastern Caribbean island.

The Salt Lake City-based Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said one missionary was from Utah and one was from New Zealand but did not release their names.

Police Cmdr. Jean Michel Robinet said the missionaries, whom he described as an American and a Briton, were last seen Monday. He declined to give their ages and names, saying only that the American was from Utah and had arrived in November, some five months after the Briton.

Police have searched dense vegetation surrounding Mount Pelee but did not find any trace of the hikers.

"It's possible they fell," Robinet said. "There are accidents from time to time, but they're rare."

The missionaries' parents have been notified, and church members are helping authorities, said the church said....

Sponsored Links:
6th Dec, 2007 - 8:21am / Post ID: #

Martinique Vanish Missionaries Lds Two

Can you even imagine what their parents must be going through?

We all know that in some cases we can't see "the big picture" and understand everything but I have to say that I would have a hard time losing a child who was serving on a mission. I don't think I would leave the church or fall away or anything like that but I know I would need extra comfort and strength to get through it.

I do hope and pray that they will be found though--and pray for the comfort of the family while they wait.

6th Dec, 2007 - 8:47pm / Post ID: #

Two Lds Missionaries Vanish In Martinique Studies Doctrine Mormon

They were found safe by a farmer today. They got lost and became disoriented and trapped in a difficult terrain.

wo missionaries of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who were missing for more than 48 hours have been found alive. The two were lost on a small island in the Caribbean.

There's certainly a sense of relief that the two men were found unharmed. One of them is from the Salt Lake Valley, and the other is from New Zealand.

Elder Tyson Delmar Gray, of Taylorsville, is one of the missionaries who were lost. The other is Elder Thomas Levi Swain, from Hamilton, New Zealand. Both were serving on the island of Martinique in the Caribbean, an area part of the West Indies Mission of the LDS Church.

A written statement from LDS Church headquarters reads in part: "The Elders had been hiking Mount Pelee on Monday afternoon and became disoriented and trapped in the dense foliage by difficult terrain. They were found by a local farmer Thursday morning at about 8:30 a.m. local time."

7th Dec, 2007 - 3:56am / Post ID: #

Oh I am so happy to hear this! I was just telling my dad about it and came to see exactly where it was and read your follow up LDS! Thank God--I cannot imagine what it would be like--I am so happy they are safe.

8th Dec, 2007 - 2:32am / Post ID: #

What a frightening thing for the families of these two young men. Perhaps they have learned not to go hiking in unfamiliar territory?

8th Dec, 2007 - 1:39pm / Post ID: #

For me, missionaries should not be allowed to be anywhere around water (as stated in the rules) as well as hiking. In this case, they were hiking a volcanic peak. Too dangerous.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: Two Lds Missionaries Vanish In Martinique

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,