Colicky Baby

Colicky Baby - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 8th Aug, 2006 - 7:30pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 30th Jul, 2006 - 7:18pm / Post ID: #

Colicky Baby

Colicky Baby

How do you handle a Colicky Baby?

Sometimes a nursing mother's diet is an important consideration as gassy foods can be passed on to the baby via breast feeding.

Here are some tips:

* Walk with your baby or sit in a rocking chair, trying various positions.
* Try burping your baby more often during feedings.
* Place your baby across your lap on his or her belly and rub your baby's back.
* Put your baby in a swing. The motion may have a soothing effect.
* Put your baby in an infant seat in the back of the car and go for a ride. The vibration and movement of the car often calm a baby.
* Try music tapes, some babies respond to sound as well as movement.
Ref. https://www.kidshealth.org/parent/growth/growing/colic.html

Sponsored Links:
30th Jul, 2006 - 10:20pm / Post ID: #

Baby Colicky

For us, there were two or three very good things to use for colic.

1. Gripe water. This is an over-the-counter product from England. I think it is available in Canada as well. You must be careful that the kind you get doesn't have any alcohol in it, but that is only a problem with one or two brands. Gripe water has peppermint in it, which is very good for stomach pains.

2. Kindertee. This is an herbal formula that we got in Germany. I don't even remember what is in it, but it worked wonders. Make it up with boiling water, then let it cool down. Put it in a bottle, and let the baby drink some. Seems to help tremendously.

3. I have heard that it will work to mix a little bit of peppermint oil into water, and feed that to them. We never did this, as we always had these other things handy.

Gripe water and Kindertee both cause the baby to burp. We were very impressed with the results.

31st Jul, 2006 - 1:23am / Post ID: #

Colicky Baby Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

I agree that vibration and movement help to calm a baby. At least, it did for my daughter when she was a baby. Besides a car ride, I would place her in her baby carrier and set the carrier on a working dryer. Of course I would stay near by, in case the vibration bounced her off the dryer. This seems to work miracles when nothing else would.

Post Date: 31st Jul, 2006 - 4:28am / Post ID: #

Colicky Baby
A Friend

Baby Colicky

We didn't have allot of problems with colick in our children. But the one we did had stomach problems. We used peppermint oil in the bottle in the evening in the first couple months of infancy. This seemed to work better for use, even better than riding in the car which works for many I am told.

8th Aug, 2006 - 12:55am / Post ID: #

Baby Colicky

We have been giving gripe water a try. It calms him for about 10 minutes and then Jonah becomes very irritated again with kicking and making grunting sounds building up into cries a norm. The only thing that soothes him is breast milk.

We know it is not another medical complication because he is not losing weight - in fact he is getting bigger, but he is so uncomfortable that he has maybe a couple of hours of light sleep a day, and you can well imagine how much I or LDS_forever gets.

In my research I have read where doctors really do not know the cause of this so it is all guess work really as to figuring out what will sooth your baby long enough for them to go to sleep. However, in Jonah's case once he goes to sleep after 10 minutes he begins moving again - he cannot rest.

8th Aug, 2006 - 3:27pm / Post ID: #

Colicky Baby

The only way he was able to sleep last night was on my chest. I had to put pillows all over my bed. It is not that the breastmilk soothes him, is the sucking motion that helps him to relax. The gripe water seem to help a little bit.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
8th Aug, 2006 - 7:30pm / Post ID: #

Colicky Baby

I don't know the answer, every baby is different, but when we have experienced this with babies that have been bottle fed, we go through several points before we exhaust every avenue.
Things that I personally have found to help are-- (and you don't need to do them all, it's a case of trying them out, or maybe they might need all of them)

1.Bath baby at night, it makes them naturally sleepy.

2.Feed baby just before putting them down for the night, and automatically give a colicky baby gripe water, before their problem gets beyond reaching for a cure.

3. try a pacifier/dummy/soother for night times only, I personally never liked the idea, but some babies just need them, and if they don't, they will soon let you know by keep spitting it out.

4. And this I wish I had discovered years earlier, because I would swear by this, it is a grobag for babies to sleep in at night. It has a zip down the front and is sleeveless,I think it's also called a sleep sack, if you live in a hot Country, they just sleep in this with a vest/onesie on, but if you live in a cooler place, they have a babygro/footed one piece (I had to research what the USA equivalents were called)
Babies feel safe and secure in these, and you don't need to worry about them kicking around, and losing sheets or blankets!

I can honestly say that the grobag/sleep sack is one of the best baby inventions that I have ever come across, I've got my 5 month old baby niece asleep upstairs in one right now, laugh.gif
Sorry I couldn't put a link to the grobag, my Son would normally set up a link for me, but he's not here, and I'm computer illiterate! *laughs*

> TOPIC: Colicky Baby

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,