Mormon Church And Illegal Immigrants - Page 3 of 18

Name: Paralegal Comments: Bro. Paratrooper, - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 9th Mar, 2010 - 10:36pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (18) »
Mormon Hispanics Illegal Immigrant Mormons - "Lawmakers should show more compassion" - Could your Bishop or Full-Time Missionary be illegally in the USA and still serve in the Church?
11th Jul, 2009 - 12:05am / Post ID: #

Mormon Church And Illegal Immigrants - Page 3

According to the following article, between 50 percent and 75 percent of members in Utah's 104 Spanish-speaking congregations are undocumented. That includes many bishops, branch presidents, even stake presidents.

It also tells this interesting story:

A convert of some 25 years, Jaime arrived in May 2005, looking for financial stability and a warm embrace by fellow believers.

That fall, he joined more than 20,000 Spanish-speaking members at the LDS Church's "Hispanic Fireside" in the Conference Center in downtown Salt Lake City. He was moved when one LDS authority asked, "Do you think it was economic problems that put you here?"

"No," Jaime recalls the man saying. "It was the Lord. The Lord put you here for his purpose."

That was "really important to us. We felt valued," he says. "Now we feel abandoned."

The church did not take a position on recent immigration legislation, which outraged Jaime and other LDS immigrants eager for their faith to defend them.

"The church could make more pressure on lawmakers," he says.

Source 9

If it is true that a General Authority said that I am speechless...the Lord made this people to break the law of the land and move to Utah for a purpose? What was the purpose? Steal someone social security number and work illegally?

spock.gif

Sponsored Links:
11th Jul, 2009 - 12:37pm / Post ID: #

Immigrants Illegal Church Mormon

QUOTE (LDS_forever @ 11-Jul 09, 12:05 AM)
What was the purpose? Steal someone social security number and work illegally?

Not all illegal immigrants steal social security numbers I became a US citizen many years ago and some of my relatives are illegals in this country I dont agree with it but I dont judge them because I know the kind of situation they were living probably I would have done the same if I was in their shoes. About the church I think they want to keep the numbers growing since here in Utah the latino community is huge the church dont wanna lose them.

Post Date: 7th Oct, 2009 - 4:34pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Church And Illegal Immigrants
A Friend

Mormon Church And Illegal Immigrants Studies Doctrine Mormon

I served my Mission in Arizona Spanish speaking and none of the people I baptized were legal. Some of these people were better Americans and Christians then legals. Just go tracting in a suburban area and see how many doors get slammed in your face as opposed to the poorer areas. They would usually invite you in and give you food. They didn't care what religion you were. Most were very polite and said they were not interested, but would still give you food anytime you stopped by.

7th Oct, 2009 - 4:50pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Immigrants Illegal Church Mormon

Thanks for sharing that experience Ronan, what a powerful testimony of the humility of some of our brethren. The Lord doesn't care about SS cards and legal papers he cares about the hearts and souls of His children. That's all it matters.

Post Date: 7th Oct, 2009 - 5:00pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Immigrants Illegal Church Mormon

One of the funny things no one ever mentions is that the ones that do have a SS card usually pay taxes using it. I knew quite a few that have been paying taxes for years on a fake SS number. Most that come over just want a better life. I believe a great woman in New York says

international QUOTE
"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me.
I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

I think some people want to add
international QUOTE

"but only if they come here legally, unlike my ancestors, but please over look that"

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please use the Quote Tags and provide a source for your quotes - see here. When you do not use these tags source material that is not your own may appear to be yours when it is not. See our Constructive Posting Policy.

26th Oct, 2009 - 12:40am / Post ID: #

I'm a bit iffy about this. I don't get how someone can be an illegal alien but still worthy enough to be my bishop if he's not supposed to be there anyway.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 26th Oct, 2009 - 6:03am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Mormon Church Illegal Immigrants - Page 3

To me it's simple, if you are here illegally, you are a criminal, I don't care if you are a nice guy, you are committing a crime and that make you a criminal and subject to punishment. You should receive the punishment you deserve, whatever that is, and be deported. You should not hold any calling or temple recommend. There are plenty of people who follow the rules and come here legally. The illegal aliens do not pay taxes and take good upstanding citizens' jobs and money. It is a shame and embarrassing that people in this country accept these criminals as if they are doing nothing wrong.

Post Date: 9th Mar, 2010 - 10:36pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Church Illegal Immigrants Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

Name: Paralegal

Comments: Bro. Paratrooper,

I think you have it all wrong, you may not, but that is what I think.

There is nothing cirminal in trying to provide a better life for your family. They are working HARD for what little they get. Granted, there are some that are criminals because they break more serious civil laws like stealing, and things of that sort. I agree, these ones should be punished, but that applies for both legal or non.

Some of us that were lucky enough to be born to a family on this side of the border think that we own this place, but we don't. It really belongs to Heavenly Father, he has set it apart since long, long time ago for His purpose. If He guides and permits anybody to this great land, who are we to dispute that? Who are we to argue with Heavenly Father if he needs one of them to serve a mission? serve as a Bishop? . . .
How would you feel if you were one of them? Honestly. Would you have seeked the US for a better lifestyle for your family? or would you just sit there? I'd be here in a heartbeat. You see, . . . Sometimes one has to break a lesser rule to comply with a higher one, remember Adam and Eve?
I disagree with your comment about them taking our jobs away. Do you dig with a shovel every day at a temperature of 20F, 115F? I don't. Most of them do, for a minimum wage.
They support our economy, not free riders of our system. Some don't pay income tax, because we don't give them a SS#, some even pay them anyway. When they can afford it, one of the first things they do is to get their legal status. Can't do it before because they can't afford it, remember? that's the reason they come here, to better themselves.

Nothing against your person, just expressing a different opinion than yours.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (18) »

> TOPIC: Mormon Church And Illegal Immigrants

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,