Mormon Church And Illegal Immigrants - Page 7 of 18

It seems like the new Arizona law is causing - Page 7 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 21st May, 2010 - 1:48pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 18 pgs.  3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ...Latest (18) »
Mormon Hispanics Illegal Immigrant Mormons - "Lawmakers should show more compassion" - Could your Bishop or Full-Time Missionary be illegally in the USA and still serve in the Church?
1st May, 2010 - 12:50am / Post ID: #

Mormon Church And Illegal Immigrants - Page 7

Though it is not my place to speak necessarily within this thread. I like to quote Jesus when he said,

international QUOTE
"Give to Ceasar what is Ceasars and to God what is Gods"'

The very existence of Jesus broke the "law".

Meaning the law clearly states what is the law, however God's law is separate. Teaching illegals about God's law is always a good thing. Whether or not the person is illegal.

If you would go into an alien country to spread the word of God, why not then spread it in your own country with an illegal immigrant. When it comes to what law to follow I think the heart is the best compass. Tempered with the law of God and the land.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Scriptures must have Source. Please use the Quote Tags here. When you do not use these tags source material that is not your own may appear to be yours when it is not. The Source of your Quote should also be provided. See our Constructive Posting Policy.

Sponsored Links:
1st May, 2010 - 1:54am / Post ID: #

Immigrants Illegal Church Mormon

Maybe I understand what you're saying but on the other side maybe I don't. I guess because of your example. Jesus was in his own country and didn't go anywhere else to preach. The verse you quoted was about whether taxes should of been paid to Caesars whether it was fair or not. Basically Jesus confirmed that we do have to follow the rule of law.

1st May, 2010 - 3:10am / Post ID: #

Mormon Church And Illegal Immigrants Studies Doctrine Mormon

Yes he did say to follow the law, but like I said. This was not the complete truth he was conveying. He was also stating to follow God's law, and asking you to use your own reason on which was which.

I don't think he was speaking only of tax law, that would be pretty ordinary. When Jesus spoke he spoke anything but ordinary.

1st May, 2010 - 3:15am / Post ID: #

Page 7 Immigrants Illegal Church Mormon

international QUOTE (Oliron @ 30-Apr 10, 8:50 PM)
Teaching illegals about God's law is always a good thing. Whether or not the person is illegal.

The issue here isn't whether is a good thing or not to preach to those who are illegal. The issue here is whether or not those LDS members who happen to be illegal immigrants are being honest and fulfilling one of the Articles of Faith of the LDS Church which clearly states we believe in following the laws of the land.

1st May, 2010 - 3:22am / Post ID: #

Immigrants Illegal Church Mormon

I don't want to cause a problem for myself here I love this community. I will say my response would be the same though, and leave it at that. I apologize for stepping into your thread without full knowledge of your doctrine I just wanted to add what I thought helpful knowledge.

Post Date: 4th May, 2010 - 11:53am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Mormon Church And Illegal Immigrants

Crime rates of undocumented immigrants spark debate between lawmakers, police chief

Sunday morning on KSL's Sunday Edition, Rep. Carl Wimmer, R-Herriman, cited numbers showing a huge amount of crime by those of Hispanic ethnicity. The statistic compares homicide arrest rates in the capital city in 2008, but some say it's all about how you interpret the numbers. Ref. Source 3

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
12th May, 2010 - 5:15pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Church Illegal Immigrants - Page 7

Unfortunately folks it's true. A great percentage of criminals here in Utah are hispanics and illegals. It makes me very angry because I believe in giving people second chances but not like this.

21st May, 2010 - 1:48pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Church Illegal Immigrants Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 7

It seems like the new Arizona law is causing the missionaries to be rejected and treated badly because state Senator Russell Pearce, a Republican from Mesa and sponsor of Arizona's tough new immigration law, is a Mormon.

I think we all can agree this particular law is controversial but to blame someone from trying to FOLLOW one of our articles of faith which clearly tell us we believe in honoring the law is beyond me. Why would illegal immigrants get angry at all when they're the ones clearly in the wrong? Why would legal immigrants support people going to the US illegally? Beyond ridiculous.

international QUOTE
Jose Corral was seriously considering joining the LDS Church.

For weeks, Corral, 45, a fourth-grade teacher, met with missionaries from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at his home in Laveen, Ariz., to read The Book of Mormon and prepare for his baptism.

Corral, a Roman Catholic and the father of two preteen daughters, was especially drawn to the Utah-based church's commitment to family values.

"I was really interested," said Corral, a legal permanent resident from Mexico. "I thought, you know, it is going to be really good for the kids."

Then, Corral said, he found out that state Sen. Russell Pearce, a Republican from Mesa and sponsor of Arizona's tough new immigration law, is a Mormon. Corral said he told the missionaries to stop coming because he considers the law anti-immigrant and anti-Latino.

"I decided I did not want to expose my kids to a religion that has members that hate other people because they are different."

Corral is not alone. The law, which makes it a state crime to be in the country without proper immigration papers, has tarnished the LDS Church's image among many Latinos, a huge group the church is aggressively trying to attract.

Pearce has been the driving force behind virtually every bill introduced in recent years aimed at clamping down on illegal immigrants. LDS officials say he does not speak for the church, which has not taken a stance on Arizona's law.

Still, it has put the church on the defensive.

Kenneth Patrick Smith, a Mesa lawyer and president of the Valencia Branch, a Spanish-speaking LDS congregation in the Mormon stronghold of Mesa, said missionaries from his church have had doors slammed in their faces since Gov. Jan Brewer signed Arizona's new law in April.

"They say, 'Why would we want to hear anything from a religion that would do this to the Hispanic community?' " said Smith, who emphasized that he was speaking for himself, not the church. "It's a great disconnect because on one hand the missionaries are out there preaching brotherly love, kindness, charity, tolerance, faith, hope, etc., and then they see on TV a quote-unquote Mormon pushing this legislation that makes them not only ... Terrified but terrorized."

Pearce repeatedly has said his efforts to drive illegal immigrants out of Arizona and keep them from coming here is based partly on the LDS Church's 12th Article of Faith, which says Mormons believe in "obeying, honoring and sustaining the law."

"I want the church to put a stop to him," said Celia Alejandra Alvarez Portugal, 30, a member of the LDS Aguila Ward in Phoenix.

Alvarez, an illegal immigrant from Mexico, is in deportation proceedings after the landscaping business she worked for was raided last year by Maricopa County sheriff's deputies.

"It is embarrassing to have to defend the church for the thoughts of one man," said Castaneda, a member of the Spanish-speaking Liahona Second Ward in Mesa.

Source 4

The pressure is on, we will see whether or not the Church decides to give an official position on it but so far we have one of the Twelve Apostles:

international QUOTE
"We're not agents of the immigration service, and we don't pretend to be," LDS apostle Jeffrey R. Holland told The Salt Lake Tribune last year, "and we also don't break the law."

> TOPIC: Mormon Church And Illegal Immigrants

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,