Puppies In A Park Starving - Page 2 of 4

It's not fair of anyone outside of - Page 2 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 16th Nov, 2008 - 12:32am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Trinidad Humane Society
20th Feb, 2008 - 2:32pm / Post ID: #

Puppies In A Park Starving - Page 2

In answer to IndianChick, we do not have the means to do that. I did what should be considered 'enough' in this situation; feed them, called the authorities, fed them some more, and then hoped that either someone who could take care of them would do so or that a miracle happened and the government actually did their job.

Sponsored Links:
20th Feb, 2008 - 7:25pm / Post ID: #

Starving Park In Puppies

The TTSPCA, like many organizations! (if you could call them that) of that sort in T&T have no idea of what they do, what they should do or their job responsibilities and they rude for so!
Any other civilized SPCA would be tasked with the following:
1. Investigate
2. Remove from the public area
3. Take to SPCA location and feed the animal(s)
4. I am sure they do not have a consulting vet but make sure they are clean and healthy meaning given the dogs a bath and get them checked out (I.e. who do they belong to, etc)
5. If health, see if they can be bought/adopted.
6. Any monies they make is for food and shelter in maintenance of the facility!

20th Feb, 2008 - 10:52pm / Post ID: #

Puppies In A Park Starving Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

As someone said before, people do not have regard for human life so paying attention to some puppies in a park is not going to have any impact on the average person.

Post Date: 22nd Oct, 2008 - 5:00am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Starving Park In Puppies

Name: Sara

Comments: Re: Puppies in the park. With regards to the puppies in the park, I would like answer some of the comments made about both TTSPCA and AWN, I am the General Administrator for TTSPCA and also a core comittee member of AWN. I believe the puppies you may be talking about are 3 puppies that are on the Savanah, I also saw the puppies, fed them and then with the help of another member tried to catch the pups, unfortunatly this proved to be impossible. The TTSPCA by law is not allowed to pick up stray animals, this must be done by the corporation (P.O.S)in that area, however, if the animal is in distress, we disregard this, and will always try to help. It is extremly hard to catch a feral animal, and in a large space with nearby traffic, it can cause the animal to bolt into oncoming traffic thereby risking the life of the dog/cat, so care must be taken.
I'm sorry that the general idea of the TTSPCA seems to be such a negative one, I can only hope if you have had a bad experience with us, that you would contact me 622-1367 and let me know, hopefully I can speak to the persons involved. With regard to 'payment", the TTSPCA runs on donations and on the money received by relinquishments of dogs/cats, without this we would have shut our doors years ago, it is a constant struggle to make ends meet to provide food, medical care and shelter for our shelter animals, and the $30 TT ask for per puppy ($125 TT for adult dogs)goes towards not only the basic needs of the animal, but also the spay/neuter. Each animal in our system costs us between $1000 TT and $1500 TT and many times we just ask for a donation instead of a fee if the animal was picked up off the street. Both myself and many members volunteer (no pay) and; have had to on occassion, when the shelter was strapped for cash pay for basics, and donated the extras that make the animals stay with us happier. (again, please note: the Government does not give us one cent, and in order to run, the shelter must find over 1 Million TT$ a year) so I find it hard to be judged so harshly (not for myself, but for the people that give up their time on a daily/weekly basis to help). We all wish more can be done, but until we become a nation that Spays/Neuters our animals we will always have a stray dog problem (I have 7 dogs - 6 of whom are rescued from the street - not to mention 2 cats - one handraised, the other born blind and dropped in the shelter). I understand your frustration, believe me! But, sometimes a situation is not as it seems, and perhaps before arriving at a conclusion too quickly, a little investigation might be a good idea. As for AWN, The Animal Welfare Network was started by a group of persons with like mind (this included myself) as a group that focused on educating the public about the care and welfare of animals, and promoting Spay/Neuter it did not start out with the intention of rescuing/re-homing, however, at the time of it's inception, there seemed to be a need for a more hands on approach. However, we now work closely with the TTSPCA and, infact the TTSPCA kennels AWN animals at just $10 per day (this barely covers food and care) and re-homes many animals for AWN. AWN does not have a clinic/shelter, indeed, Vinmer is a private clinic along with many other vet clinics around Trinidad that is used by AWN to house dogs/cats (we are lucky to have so many local vets/clinic that help us with low cost boarding/surgeries). Both AWN and TTSPCA spend all of our extra resources helping individuals that can not afford to pay for vet/clinic services, infact we have just finished Spaying/Neutering with the help of HSI over 170 animals in rural areas for free. This put a considerable strain on both our manpower and funds, but we both felt that this type of programme is a must!. I hope that some of your questions may have been answered and that you can see that we try our best, it may not be perfect, but we try. (just as a final note: we were recently visited by persons that worked in shelters in the UK,US and Canada, and they all said that the TTSPCA's facility was better than some SPCA's they had seen, the dogs/cats seemed happier and that they were pleased by what they saw) Again if the problem is a human one call me and I will try to help. I end this letter at 12.45 am - which is the time I check both facebook/web sites to answer questions or offer help to those persons with problems concerning animals, so lazy I'm not.

30th Oct, 2008 - 4:16pm / Post ID: #

Starving Park In Puppies

This is sad. This happen in Venezuela too. I wish I could take all of them to my home for live and protect.

13th Nov, 2008 - 6:28am / Post ID: #

Puppies In A Park Starving

I would like to thank Sara for her response. I know indirectly the sufferings you all go through concerning stray animals here in Trinidad and the public view of 'the animal rights people' as people say here. I'm glad you explained it because I believe people now will understand.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 15th Nov, 2008 - 12:12pm / Post ID: #

Puppies In A Park Starving
A Friend

Puppies In Park Starving - Page 2

The amount of dog and cat on the roads is terrible. If the government don't deal with it then public driving will. How many times you see a dead dog or cat on the road in a week?

16th Nov, 2008 - 12:32am / Post ID: #

Puppies In Park Starving Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 2

It's not fair of anyone outside of this culture to sit and judge, but you would think that because there are so many people of different backgrounds and cultures in and out of Trinidad, that people would seek out a change in peoples attitudes.
I'm guessing sadly though, that as prices rise higher and higher, you are going to find more and more animals being abandoned.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Puppies In A Park Starving

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,