Mormon God-Adam Theory

Mormon God-adam Theory - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 15th Jul, 2003 - 1:32am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (10) »
  Mormon God-Adam Theory Also known as the Adam God Doctrine as promoted by Brigham Young - "As Man is... God once was... As God is... Man may become"
19th Sep, 2002 - 11:18pm / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory

If any LDS person knows a bit more about the God-Adam Theory that Brigham Young stated years ago, I would like to know a bit more about it. Please post it here. Thanks.

Mormon God-Adam Theory
Mormon God-Adam Theory (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
24th Sep, 2002 - 12:53am / Post ID: #

Theory God-Adam Mormon

This is one of the most miunderstood utterances from the Prophet Brigham Young. Basically, Adam is  a 'father' to us all, and in that right we pay him homage as the senior person in our ancentry. So that there are no misunderstandings, I would say that the homage we pay is similar to the respect you give your father, or grandfather, etc. Adam has achieved greatness by overcoming the fall and resting in the next life that we look forward to. Adam still does a lot of work behind the scenes and even visited Christ while he suffered in the Garden of Gethsemane. This is interesting because the father who started the human race, visits the Father who buys us with His blood. In the realm of sealings we all will trace our line to Adam. I could go on and on, but basically Adam is to be respected not worshipped as anti mormons would have others believe.

27th Sep, 2002 - 1:15am / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory Studies Doctrine Mormon

These anti-mormons loves to confuse people boy. I think I'll research more about it and find the exactly words of Brigham Young about this subject. Thanks for answering smile.gif

28th Sep, 2002 - 9:17am / Post ID: #

Theory God-Adam Mormon

If you search well using the same words in Google you will find the full speech and comments by LDS scholars and if you look for parts of the speech you will get a lot of anti-mormon referrences because they base their sayings on 'parts' rather than the whole.

smile.gif

Post Date: 29th Sep, 2002 - 1:33am / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory
A Friend

Theory God-Adam Mormon

The Adam-God Theory was in fact taught by Brigham Young for about 25 years. The late Apostle Bruce R. McConkie verified this in a response he wrote many years ago. It is not scriptural, was vehemently opposed by Orson Pratt and many others, and in 1976 it was denounced by Spencer W.Kimball as false doctrine in a Genral Conference.

It is pointless to deny it was taught, because the verification is there for anyone to read.

29th Sep, 2002 - 2:22am / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory

I never heard that Pres. Kimball denounced as a false doctrine the teachings of Brigham Young...now, did he denounce his theory as false OR he denounce as false doctrine the interpretation that everybody took from it?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 6th Nov, 2002 - 4:43pm / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory
A Friend

Mormon God-Adam Theory

I have not been here for a while but let me show you some things to consider regarding the Adam God ideas:

Brigham Young did not teach that Adam was the biological father of Jesus Christ, in the Journal of Discourses he is clear that God (Elohim) is the father of Jesus.  

He did say that Adam is our Lord and our God.  But he later goes on to explain that Joseph Smith is a god to us, etc and fathers would be gods to their children.  It is a doctrine that actually appears in the Old Testament and even the New Testament, Moses was made a god to Pharoah (ex. 7:1) I believe the Joseph Smith translation makes it plainer to our understanding in that it is understood that Moses was made a prophet.  IN the old days a prophet was looked upon as gods representative and therefore "as god".

Further, when Christ is refered to as "Son of Adam" or if Adam is ever refered to as the Father of Christ it is a genealogical referece much like refering to Christ as the Son of David.

Further reference and clarification to this is found in Joseph Fielding Smith's Doctrines of Salvation Vol 1 page 96.

15th Jul, 2003 - 1:32am / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory Mormon Doctrine Studies

international QUOTE
"When our father Adam came into the garden of Eden, he came into it with a celestial body, and brought Eve, one of his wives, with him. He helped to make and organize this world. He is MICHAEL, the Archangel, the ANCIENT OF DAYS! about whom holy men have written and spoken-HE is our FATHER and our GOD, and the only God with whom WE have to do"¦.When the Virgin Mary conceived the child Jesus, the Father had begotten him in his own likeness. He was not begotten by the Holy Ghost. And who is the Father? He is the first of the human family"¦. Jesus, our elder brother, was begotten in the flesh by the same character that was in the Garden of Eden, and who is our Father in Heaven." (President Brigham Young. Journal of Discourses 1:50-51)

Now, when you read this you tend to say...what the heck is he saying? is he saying that Adam and God are the same thing? BUT he then Brigham Young said things like this:
international QUOTE

I believe the Father came down in His tabernacle and begat Jesus Christ. Mr. B. Believes He has no tabernacle. I believe He has a tabernacle, and begat Jesus Christ in His express image and likeness, because the Bible expressly declares it. You disbelieve it, because your priest and your mother have taught you it is not so. When your mothers first read this Scripture, it was so plain to their understandings and to their children that they understood it as an angel would, but deacon Jones must be called in to explain, and he explained it away. So I disagree with you, Mr. B., in the first point we have noticed, for you believe that God is without body and parts, while the Bible declares He has a corporeal body; that in His likeness, precisely, He created Adam (President Brigham Young. Ibid. 1:238).

Yes, not the same source, I still have to look to get the Journal of Discourses and study it.

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (10) »

> TOPIC: Mormon God-Adam Theory

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,