Net Neutrality - Page 5 of 6

Senate votes for net neutrality return, but - Page 5 - Computer Issues, Video Gaming - Posted: 16th May, 2018 - 11:03pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
Post Date: 14th Dec, 2017 - 8:07pm / Post ID: #

Net Neutrality
A Friend

Net Neutrality - Page 5

In terms of direct impact? It isn't going to effect you at all.

Indirectly, if things go as I suspect, over time there will be a noted decrease in US based traffic to websites that are not favored by US ISPs, especially anything that requires high bandwidth. Youtube for instance is probably in for a drop. At the same time, there will be an increase in traffic to websites favored by said ISPs, and you can probably expect those companies to start offering new "Exclusive services" now that they can monopolize things.

If asking in regards to this site in particular, I do not expect a notable impact. The US based clientel will probably have slower connections to your site, but the difference shouldn't amount to more than an extra second or two.

Of course, there's a worse case scenario if they decide to push things even further. With this change, this site could be blacklisted entirely, and all your US based people suddenly drop off the grid as far as you're concerned along with the revenue they brought in.

I don't expect them to actually do that sort of thing, if only so they avoid being dragged into the streets and lynched, but the simple fact that they now legally can do so irks me to no end.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 14th Dec, 2017 - 8:15pm

Sponsored Links:
30th Dec, 2017 - 4:32am / Post ID: #

Neutrality Net

Has there been any difference for you guys down there? I'm thinking that if they will allow this then sites might start to also charge for viewing because they have to pay the ISPs to get you there.

Post Date: 30th Dec, 2017 - 4:59am / Post ID: #

Net Neutrality
A Friend

Net Neutrality Gaming Video & Issues Computer

ISPs haven't made a move yet, they know people are pissed, and there are quite a few lawsuits in the works over the decision.

The most prominent of these concerns the FCC's legal obligation to take public opinion into consideration. The FCC in the months leading up to this event made it nearly impossible to comment on the issue in question, in a manner that led to many giving up, or falsely assuming their comment was recieved. At roughly the same time, a huge number of comments in favor of effectively eradicating the net neutrality rules started rolling in.

There were around 23 million comments posted, most of which were in favor of the move. Of that total, only 1.8 million of those comments appear to be both unique and valid, the rest are in question due to coming from fake emails, stolen identities (Including from dead people), and/or are form letters sent in by a bot. Someone named Pat M supposedly commented 5,910 times. Of the 1.8 million comments that do appear to be valid, only 24,000 were in favor of the move.

So yeah, it is unclear exactly who is responsible yet, but it appears that someone was just caught massively screwing with us, and there's a storm on the horizon down here. The people who'd hoped to profit from this are laying low for now.

I find it both amusing and distressing that news sources keep linking this stuff with Obama. He had jack all to do with it, these are rules that have been in place since the very beginning.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 30th Dec, 2017 - 5:10am

21st Jan, 2018 - 5:59pm / Post ID: #

Page 5 Neutrality Net

Since this thing with net neutrality started in America in 2017 has anyone been noticeably affected by it?

21st Jan, 2018 - 6:32pm / Post ID: #

Neutrality Net

I haven't well at least nothing for me to talk about maybe there is something going on in the background but until it affects me I'm cool with my surfing speed and access.

Post Date: 21st Jan, 2018 - 6:39pm / Post ID: #

Net Neutrality
A Friend

Net Neutrality

The vote just opened a door. To my knowledge, the ISPs haven't used the power they've spent billions acquiring yet, most likely because they're waiting for the multiple lawsuits threatening to reverse the decision to go through, and because tempers concerning the subject are just a little high right now.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
21st Jan, 2018 - 11:41pm / Post ID: #

Net Neutrality - Page 5

I have not encountered anything different about my internet availability or usage either. Maybe it is as Daishain is saying they are waiting til we forget so they can remind us later.

Post Date: 16th May, 2018 - 11:03pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Net Neutrality Computer Issues & Video Gaming - Page 5

Senate votes for net neutrality return, but major hurdles remain. Senate Democrats, plus three Republicans, voted on Wednesday to reinstate 2015 FCC rules preventing broadband services from blocking or slowing online data. The measure, however, is unlikely to pass in the U.S. House and even if it were would have to be approved by President Trump. Ref. USAToday.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: Net Neutrality

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,