Muslims Protest Wikipedia Images Of Muhammad

Muslims Protest Wikipedia Images Muhammad - Studies of Islam - Posted: 7th Feb, 2008 - 7:00pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

7th Feb, 2008 - 12:54am / Post ID: #

Hopefully this situation will not cause any sort of violence:

Online encyclopedia Wikipedia has again stirred up controversy - this time over a biographical entry on the prophet Muhammad.

Nearly 100,000 people worldwide have signed a Web-based petition asking Wikipedia to remove all depictions of the Prophet from its English-language entry, viewable here.

"I request all brothers and sisters to sign this petitions so we can tell Wikipedia to respect the religion and remove the illustrations," the creator of the petition at The Petition Site asks.

Opposition among Muslims to images of Muhammad has its roots in the prohibition of "graven images" in the Ten Commandments, but has varied over time.

"Islamic teaching has traditionally discouraged representation of humans, particularly Muhammad, but that doesn't mean it's nonexistent," Notre Dame history professor Paul M. Cobb told the New York Times. "Some of the most beautiful images in Islamic art are manuscript images of Muhammad." 

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 7th Feb, 2008 - 6:25pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Muhammad Images Wikipedia Protest Muslims

Well, remember the Danish cartoons that started riots and death threats?
It also makes me wonder how/why those undersea internet cables got cut.

7th Feb, 2008 - 6:53pm / Post ID: #

Muslims Protest Wikipedia Images Of Muhammad Islam Studies

I went to Wiki and did not see any images that stood out save for some century old paintings depicting Muhammad preaching to the people, do not tell me that is what they are talking about?

On another note they locked the Wiki on Muhammad, probably they were getting too many insertions.

7th Feb, 2008 - 7:00pm / Post ID: #

Muhammad Images Wikipedia Protest Muslims

JB:

I went to Wiki and did not see any images that stood out save for some century old paintings depicting Muhammad preaching to the people, do not tell me that is what they are talking about?

Yes, that's exactly what they are talking about.

> TOPIC: Muslims Protest Wikipedia Images Of Muhammad

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,