Record 96 Teams Kick Off Iditarod!

Record 96 Teams Kick Iditarod! - Movies, Music, Fashion, Sports - Posted: 12th Mar, 2008 - 9:15am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

2nd Mar, 2008 - 4:58am / Post ID: #

Record 96 Teams Kick Off Iditarod!

Thousands of people lined Fourth Avenue in downtown and along the 11-mile route to Campbell Airstrip on Saturday to bid a record 96 Iditarod mushers farewell for their formidable winter journey across the wildest reaches of Alaska.

With a biting 20 mph wind coming off Cook Inlet and funneling into the snowy alleyways, hundreds packed close together at the start line on the corner of Fourth and D Street, well protected from the wind.

But those who braved the below-zero windchill, strolling the side streets that connect to Fourth Avenue and other wind- ravished sections, gave spectators a feel of what mushers will surely face on the 1,100-mile Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race.
** I loved this**
"I can handle blizzards, cold weather and bad trail on the Iditarod," Garnie said. "I can't handle Anchorage."

Tom Roig's journey to Anchorage started in Canada. The Shreve, Ohio, musher had just driven across the Canadian border when he lost control of his Dodge Ram and its 16-foot trailer with 17 dogs inside.

The wind blew snow ferociously across the highway, causing icy spots that spun his rigs 180 degrees and into the median, so the Iditarod rookie dug snow around his truck for three hours until a tow truck arrived. Both of his cheeks got frostbite in the process.

"From the Lower 48, just getting to the start line is an accomplishment," Roig said. "It's a logistical nightmare, a real challenge."

Just wait until he faces the Iditarod Trail today.

Full article here: https://www.adn.com/2693/story/332035.html

Should be interesting! Some are saying it is time for team Norway to take it. I think I still am going for Lance Mackey! He won last year and it was an awesome race! I was reading some comments on the 2008 mushers and thought this was interesting--especially since this forum is international! Good luck to everyone!

Sam and Dries from Belgium, 2 guys to watch out for !

Sam Dries and Dries Jacobs from Belgium will be the rookies to follow. If you see that it's Mitch Seavey himself who trusts 2 teams of his own dogs to them than you must recognize these guys have a lot of potential. Furthermore they have Flemish blood in them, which means they are tough, they have character and they never give up !
TV channels such as Discovery Channel and a special TV crew from Belgium television "Woestijnvis" will be following those 2 Belgian lions closely in their attempt to reach Nome.
They also have supporters all over the world going fm South Africa to India, Hong Kong, USA,... who strongly believe in them.
Eric from Antwerp, Belgium.

Sponsored Links:
12th Mar, 2008 - 9:15am / Post ID: #

Iditarod Kick Teams Record

I can hardly believe it! We are just a few hours from the finish in Nome and Lance Mackey looks as if he is going to do it again. Out of the original 96 teams only 82 remain-of those there are 3 in the top 10 that our family is rooting for.

Lance Mackey and Jeff King (Hubby's choice) are about an hour apart and we keep checking! The kids are going for Martin Buser! I just wish them all good health until the finish line. It is a hard race!

> TOPIC: Record 96 Teams Kick Off Iditarod!

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,