Surrogacy In Trinidad And Tobago

Surrogacy Trinidad Tobago - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 4th Mar, 2008 - 6:18pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
$60,000 for baby upon delivery
2nd Mar, 2008 - 6:55pm / Post ID: #

What do you think about the ethical and legal aspect of surrogacy in the country? Is it something you would consider? The Newsday featured an article about it:

international QUOTE
Babies are being sold in Trinidad and Tobago for $60,000 - upon delivery.

The sale of babies is being run by a woman, who calls herself "Suzy", and who has been advertising her surrogacy services in press ads. She told Sunday Newsday that she has offered the service to at least ten women so far, but she is reticent about providing details.

Responding to queries about the service, she told one woman: "If you cannot have your own child I will find a nice woman to have it for you. It's OK. You don't have to worry. I get a lot of calls from women like you."

"Suzy" who claims to be based in South Trinidad said that she has had success with the ten other clients and assures that it is completely legitimate business. According to her, she has a pool of African and East Indian mothers to choose from. She underlines that the women are screened by doctors to ensure optimal physical and mental health. "Suzy" also explained that a legally binding contract will be drawn up by well respected lawyers to protect the parties involved. The person seeking a surrogate mother, however, will have to foot the bill for the medical bills, lawyer fees and the surrogate mother at a base cost of $60,000. To further prove good faith on your part, three-quarter of the sum must be paid up front and the rest once the child is delivered, "Suzy" said.

Sometimes surrogacy may be the only hope for a childless couple who wish to start a family. Surrogacy is a form of assisted reproduction. It entails arrangement whereby a woman agrees to become pregnant for the purpose of gestating and giving birth to a child which is then relinquished to be raised by another. There are two parties to this arrangement, the surrogate mother (Birth mother) and the commissioning parents who intend to rear the child as their own.

The surrogate mother can either be a genetic mother who conceives her own biological child and then gives it up or a gestational mother who is impregnated by a fertilised egg or embryo transfer. She carries the child to term and upon delivery gives it up to the parents. But is the practice legal according to the Parliamentary laws of Trinidad and Tobago?

Discussing the issue of legality, attorney-at-law Prakash Ramadhar said: "Although this is not my area of expertise, I am not aware of any law explicitly preventing surrogacy."

Lawyer Lynnette Seebaran-Suite also commented: "I am not aware of any law which specific regards to the issue of surrogacy. As far as I am aware, Parliament has not made any written law on the matter. I admit that it is not an issue that I have looked into, so I"M not sure what is written in the Common Law or what is the position of other legal systems on surrogacy." She said that as far as she knew that the phenomenon has not reached Trinidad and Tobago just yet but that it is possible the country will see the occurrence of it in the future....

Sponsored Links:
3rd Mar, 2008 - 8:21pm / Post ID: #

Tobago Trinidad Surrogacy

I am a very old fashioned girl and I will never condone surrogacy. I believe that it is very unethical for a woman to be "renting" out her womb, for the purpose of bringing a life to this world, in exchange for money. If you really think about it, it is like another form of prostitution. I do admire women who choose to adopt unwanted orphans all around the world. But to search for someone to "carry a child" for them, just makes me feel very queasy. You have to consider the purpose of a woman being able to give birth to a child; is it because she wishes to experience the trials and tribulations of being a parent, or to hand over a human life to complete strangers, whom she knows nothing about, except how wealthy they are? What kind of woman would do this? What about the emotional aspect of surrogacy? These days, surrogate mothers are challenging the adoptive parents, by taking them to court, in a desperate bid, to fight for the human life that they carried. Sometimes, parents who are unable to have children of their own, are becoming more aware of the fact that the surrogate mother may have a change of heart after giving birth. Therefore, they instruct their attorneys to devise an airtight contract, which indicates that the surrogate mother, will be waiving her rights as a parent, after she signs this contract. Some contracts actually state that the surrogate mother will not be allowed to hold the baby after giving birth. Sounds very harsh but I suppose this is to prevent the surrogate mother from changing her mind.

I read the article from Newsday and I consider this "Suzy" character to be a cold and heartless woman. I cannot believe that she is introducing this questionable trade in our country. Our laws are so archaic and I suspect that we do not have any laws preventing surrogacy; therefore, unfortunately, this lady may have the right to continue her "trade" in our shores. I strongly believe that surrogacy is very unethical and I sincerely hope the government quickly discusses this matter and implement new legislation to outlaw surrogacy!

Reconcile Edited: Geenie on 3rd Mar, 2008 - 8:24pm

4th Mar, 2008 - 12:51am / Post ID: #

Surrogacy In Trinidad And Tobago Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Geenie:

international QUOTE
I am a very old fashioned girl and I will never condone surrogacy. I believe that it is very unethical for a woman to be "Renting" out her womb, for the purpose of bringing a life to this world, in exchange for money.

What about those many examples of mothers who seeing the pain and struggles of their daughters of not able to conceive offer themselves to carry the child for them? (No money involved).

4th Mar, 2008 - 2:24am / Post ID: #

international QUOTE
What about those many examples of mothers who seeing the pain and struggles of their daughters of not able to conceive offer themselves to carry the child for them? (No money involved).

Well a good mother would console their daughters and stand by their side, in their hour of need. A good mother would also gently encourage their daughters to explore other options like, adopting a baby.

4th Mar, 2008 - 2:37am / Post ID: #

Geenie, but you are not answering the question. wink.gif Since you brought up the issue of money and even compared it with prostitution, how do you feel particularly about the scenario I put? Mother is not stranger and no money involved.

4th Mar, 2008 - 2:49am / Post ID: #

Well I thought I did LDS. I consider it to be immoral for a mother to offer her womb as a solution to her daughter's problems. How would the daughter explain to her child, how she was born? Very ticklish situation if you ask me. Hence the reason, why I suggested adoption as a solution to this problem.

Reconcile Edited: Geenie on 4th Mar, 2008 - 5:02pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
4th Mar, 2008 - 2:57am / Post ID: #

Surrogacy Trinidad Tobago

Geenie:

international QUOTE
How would the daughter explain to her child, how she was born?

How would a mother that adopts a child explain how she was born? How would a mother who chooses Artificial Insemination explains that as well? It seems to me we are walking on a fine line. Personally, I am not for or against it. The topic of adoption always rises when a couple does not have children, but we need to understand that adoption may not be the solution for everyone.

When a couple decides to adopt is a very difficult decision to make, specially for the woman who (In an indirect way) is feeling she "Gave up" and "Formally" cannot have any children of her own. Hard to digest. Adoption in some countries cost a lot of money as well.

Now with regards to Trinidad, when I read this article I thought "Suzie" sounds pretty fishy on her dealings, a full investigation should take place.

4th Mar, 2008 - 6:18pm / Post ID: #

Surrogacy Trinidad Tobago Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean

Maybe a foolish question but how is the woman getting the sperm? Including $60,000 they have to pay for medical insertion too?

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Surrogacy In Trinidad And Tobago

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,