Depression In Mormonism - Page 3 of 5

Name: Backtothefutre Comments: I'm - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 17th Nov, 2009 - 6:30pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Is the high percentage of depressed Utahans related to religion? Is it because people striving towards perfection causing mental distress?
6th Nov, 2009 - 5:11pm / Post ID: #

Depression In Mormonism - Page 3

CutieCTR, do not think by asking to meet with a mental health professional means you are "crazy", just like you don't only go to see a doctor when you are sick, it is just an evaluation to ensure you are in good health, in this case good mental health.

Sponsored Links:
6th Nov, 2009 - 6:24pm / Post ID: #

Mormonism Depression

I think that there are two issues at hand, one, I agree with both JB and CutieCTR, I do feel that modern people confuse being depressed with depression, being depressed is not the same as clinical depression, not every time someone is mean to you, and your sad, you should not need the feel to go to a professional to deal with it. Clinical depression is where you can not live a normal life, it affects work, sleeping, and general health. Having mental health problems such as depression is cruelly called being "crazy", I feel that is a term that should be stopped being used, since in the 21st century we know more about the human mind, the human psyche, than ever before in history, we have several techniques, and medicines that treat what is wrong, there should be no difference between seeing a doctor for having a broken arm, and going to a mental health professional to help you out with problems with your mind. There are countless chemicals, and chemical mixes, that could change everything about who you are, and how you feel about everything. There are no "Idiots guide to deal with life" book, there are no books on how to deal with a death of someone you love, how to deal with a job loss, how to deal with, at the end of the day, the fantasy life that you had, when you were young, is not going to happen. I could go on, but I feel I made my point, before anyone else says it, I"ll say it; yes there are motivational books that talk about how to deal with these issues, but, unless you can find a great book, and please inform me the name of the book, these self-help books use tactics like, "if there is a will, there is a way", and, "if you think you can, you can", these quotes are great, and only generally true, true to the mass public, true to the human spirit, but NOT true to the individual case, I"ve known several people that work all day, every day, with still little hope of improving their skills, to climb any higher on the corporate ladder. Life has been called a game, well if life is a game, than these motivational speakers, and writers, are like the cheerleaders of life, they may help motivate the players, but it is the coaches that direct the players. Mental health professionals are like the coach, they are trained to know the game, and are able to help you out in life.

The second issue is that, we over-medicate, over diagnose our problems, for an example, is a child just a hyperactive, normal child, or does he, or she, have ADD? Am I being depressed, and sad, for losing my job, or am I clinically depressed? If you are going to take, or already am, any medication for mental problems, ask A LOT of questions, like what the medication is and what it does? You might be surprised to find out that some of these drugs are in the same drug "family" as marijuana and even LSD.

7th Nov, 2009 - 10:03pm / Post ID: #

Depression In Mormonism Studies Doctrine Mormon

First of all I am a native of Florida living in Utah for the past 13 years. The people here are different.

1) The saints will be tried...and being tried, can be very depressing. I just got over a two year trial with depression...ohh I feel much better now.

2) Government emitting microwaves at a frequency causing depression....great money maker. The Mormons will get medication before they will grab a good old fashion "night cap." (Yes, one of my crazy ideas)

3) Have you seen how rich the Utah Mormons are? I mean these people out here have huge houses, beautifully landscaped yards, four-wheelers, boats, campers, they go on vacations all through the summer....honestly I don't know where they get the money....my husband rakes in almost 100 thousand a year, and we can't afford all that stuff. I think a lot of the depression comes from issues with money....it is common knowledge, and first-hand experience, do not do business with a Mormon...they look out for themselves, they seem to desire more and more. I just recently spoke with an attorney who said in his 28 years of experience he has noticed that the Mormon conservative people of Utah, do not want to give anyone money who has been injured or even killed in an accident, because...they are jealous and greedy...interesting.

4) Life is very fast and very competitive out here.

5) I have noticed that the people who do their callings and go to the temple actually have that twinkle in their eye, seem to be less concerned with wealth (although most are very wealthy anyway), and seem happy not depressed.

6) Women raising more than a few kids (4 or more) have their hands full....father's are trying to provide for these kids. Mom's are trying to teach, clean, cook, make ends meet....it's hard, it can be overwhelming, and depressing.

My husband declared to me this morning that he is not "mentally stable," I said to him...do you really feel that way....or are you just telling yourself that. He said....no, I really think I am mentally unstable....meaning he gets depressed easily...he gets disturbed easily, irritated easily, discouraged easily. He has been on anti-depressants in the past...which helped, but after a few years....he felt numb...so now he just rides the roller-coaster...he has learned to cope better...and I buy him Eskimo Ice Cream Pies....when things get really bad.

Utah is a wonderful place to live....but it is terribly competitive, and I am often wondering "what the heck am I doing wrong," I do not seem to be as blessed as my neighbor....I know that sounds awful....but I wonder if everyone feels that way from time to time out here, creating depression.

7th Nov, 2009 - 11:27pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Mormonism Depression

international QUOTE (Drea @ 7-Nov 09, 10:03 PM)
1) The saints will be tried...and being tried, can be very depressing. I just got over a two year trial with depression...ohh I feel much better now.

Hi Drea. I am glad to hear you're overcoming a difficult time in your life. If you don't mind, I would like to address some of your points.

international QUOTE
3)  Have you seen how rich the Utah Mormons are?  I mean these people out here have huge houses, beautifully landscaped yards, four-wheelers, boats, campers, they go on vacations all through the summer....honestly I don't know where they get the money....my husband rakes in almost 100 thousand a year, and we can't afford all that stuff.  I think a lot of the depression comes from issues with money....it is common knowledge, and first-hand experience, do not do business with a Mormon...they look out for themselves, they seem to desire more and more.  I just recently spoke with an attorney who said in his 28 years of experience he has noticed that the Mormon conservative people of Utah, do not want to give anyone money who has been injured or even killed in an accident, because...they are jealous and greedy...interesting.

I live here in UT as well and I don't see what you describe. Yes, we have wealthy neighborhoods, etc but most folks aren't doing half of what you say they do. If your husband is making 100 thousand a year, where is the money going? Why would people feel depressed to see their neighbor having more riches? If we're truly focus on Christ we know where our foundation is, we should feel happy that our friends and neighbors are successful in the financial aspect. If we are not, then we're jealous which means the commandment of "thou shall not covet" is being broken.

international QUOTE
Utah is a wonderful place to live....but it is terribly competitive, and I am often wondering "what the heck am I doing wrong," I do not seem to be as blessed as my neighbor....I know that sounds awful....but I wonder if everyone feels that way from time to time out here, creating depression.

I think is common to feel that way if material possessions are important to you or if you haven't experience the real world out there. I come from a third world country where people struggle terribly to make ends meet (and by that I mean putting food in the table). It is amazing to me when I hear some people at church or friends here being "depressed" because they don't have as much money as their neighbor. I think is terribly selfish and shallow when there are thousands of kids around the world living under the poverty line.

Some of them, as I write this, going to sleep with an empty stomach. NO KID should have to go through that. THOSE things depress me because I wish I could adopt them all and feed them and love them and care for them just like the Savior would do if he was here. So being depressed over why my neighbor has a boat or went to a fancy vacation and I haven't is so insignificant and almost embarrassing if we know what is the purpose of our life here in Earth. We are BLESSED with food in our table every day, shelter over our heads and clothes to cover our bodies...My goodness, is much more than what the majority of the worldwide population can ever dream.

Personally I think when we start feeling like that is because we aren't doing enough meaningful service to others. Visiting the soup kitchen, volunteering at the homeless shelter, feeding a family we know is struggling, are great opportunities to bring us back to reality....which is: There ARE people who suffer, there ARE people who need us and the Lord is ready to use us as instruments to help our many brothers and sisters in need if we're ready to share our hearts with others. In order to do that, we need to stop thinking about our selfish desires.

Drea, the Lord loves you and wants to see you happy and successful. Let Him guide your life to help you change the lives of others. God bless you.

7th Nov, 2009 - 11:39pm / Post ID: #

Mormonism Depression

international QUOTE (Drea @ 7-Nov 09, 5:03 PM)
2)  Government emitting microwaves at a frequency causing depression....great money maker.  The Mormons will get medication before they will grab a good old fashion "night cap."  (Yes, one of my crazy ideas)

This is not only a crazy idea, but just think about how expensive that would be to do over a large area? Or how massively bad it would be to PR. It would be worse than Watergate, Clintons affair, today's major state of debt, all together.

8th Nov, 2009 - 2:39am / Post ID: #

Depression In Mormonism

international QUOTE (RominaL)
So being depressed over why my neighbor has a boat or went to a fancy vacation and I haven't is so insignificant and almost embarrassing if we know what is the purpose of our life here in Earth. We are BLESSED with food in our table every day, shelter over our heads and clothes to cover our bodies...My goodness, is much more than what the majority of the worldwide population can ever dream.

You are right, it is embarrassing, when you put it like that. I heard somewhere that the saints would be tried with riches. Not having lived in a third world country, or ever went a day without food or shelter....I am being honest, when I say that is hard to comprehend for someone who has not lived that....again that is a fact, and a fact that people from Utah live with. Rominal, you are blessed to have that experience, you probably look at the world and see things the way they really are, not through Rose Colored Glasses, like a lot of Utahans do. People like you make Utah rich....you will be surprised how many lives you touch with your example. I love people like you.

However, to stick up for the people of Utah, they do seem to establish prosperous homesteads that have and will continue to benefit their prosperity, their children, grandchildren. I have seen, many times, parents willing and able, because of how they have established themselves, to be able to bless and help their children and grandchildren during times of crisis. I believe this is God's way, I pray I will be able to do the same for my children and grandchildren. How comforting would it be to be able to go to your parents when you are in crisis or in need, for spiritual blessings as well as temporal blessings.

Realize Rominal, when you do not have to worry about where your next meal is coming from...you have GREAT power to be able to serve...and I do think the people of Utah do serve. Maybe they don't fly to third-world countries and open up schools personally, but through tithes and temple work, we do serve other countries. I think every single apostle is independently wealthy, freeing them up to serve the world.

I can see where wealth is a good thing. I can see where being able to have fun with your families and go on vacations is extremely beneficial....and the facts are....that costs money.

I live in the Bluffdale, Riverton, South Jordan, Draper area....I see lots of well established wealthy families....lots. Drive up to the Draper Temple....there are houses bigger than the temple up there!

Haleray, I agree it would be such bad PR....however, I watched a documentary that this is actually being tested in Alaska. Hey....how about just using our personal microwaves causes depression...that's it, I'm not using the microwave anymore....laugh.gif.

I really hope I have not offended, just giving you a glimpse into what it is like living in Utah, from my perspective.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please use the Quote Tags here. When you do not use these tags source material that is not your own may appear to be yours when it is not. See our Constructive Posting Policy.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
12th Nov, 2009 - 12:41am / Post ID: #

Depression Mormonism - Page 3

For me this is very simple. Those who are depressed have way too much time in their hands. Go and do some serious service and after that come back and tell you're depressed! When we're engaged helping others we aint have time to be depressed you know what am I saying?

Post Date: 17th Nov, 2009 - 6:30pm / Post ID: #

Depression Mormonism Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

Name: Backtothefutre

Comments: I'm a Utah Mormon that is depressed, because my fiance cheated on me and ran off and got married in the temple 3 weeks later. This was an abomination before God, but she "did it the right way--in the temple with a return missionary" yeah right.

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Depression In Mormonism

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,