Depression In Mormonism - Page 4 of 5

The Mormon Church addresses Depression: - Page 4 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 22nd Oct, 2014 - 11:14pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Is the high percentage of depressed Utahans related to religion? Is it because people striving towards perfection causing mental distress?
17th Nov, 2009 - 11:56pm / Post ID: #

Depression In Mormonism - Page 4

I'm sorry to hear that Backtothefutre but I am not sure why are you depressed about, it seems to me that you got rid of someone who wasn't wife material!

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 1st Mar, 2010 - 7:39am / Post ID: #

Mormonism Depression

Name: UtahL

Comments: I feel for that brother who became depressed through mistrust. I feel that is one of the number one ways to become depressed because you place your happiness in something or someone only to have it ripped from you. We have to be so careful and not trust in the arm of flesh.

1st Mar, 2010 - 2:59pm / Post ID: #

Depression In Mormonism Studies Doctrine Mormon

I haven't been around much because I'm going through some serious challenges in my life (for years now). It never crossed my mind to commit suicide but for the past few months there are times where I feel I want to die (literally) and when I pray to God I tell him (sometimes) that I would like to die and to please help him with all these feelings. Is this normal?

1st Apr, 2011 - 6:41pm / Post ID: #

Page 4 Mormonism Depression

Nothing has changed since the last time I posted here. Everyone tells me things will be okay and to try to cheer up and make changes to bring happiness but the thing is, things will not change (too long to explain) so I know for a fact that's how life will be for me. Right now, the feelings of wishing to die are stronger than ever. I cry for everything, all I want to do is lay down and be left alone but I have family who depend on me, that's the only reason I get up every morning but I don't know how long will I be able to endure this feeling of absolute despair. I fake smiles and that I'm okay but I am not. Inside me is just unhappiness. Everything I try to do doesn't come easily, heck most of the time doesn't come at all... There are always obstacles in the way even for those things that are so simple to achieve for most people. I feel I am cursed. I only attend sacrament meeting and I have no desire to pray. I am angry at God and I'm trying to avoid him in prayers as much as I can. I'm heartbroken.

Post Date: 18th Apr, 2011 - 2:37am / Post ID: #

Mormonism Depression

Name: Germanite

Comments:

international QUOTE
Senior: Those who are depressed have way too much time in their hands. Go and do some serious service....

You're not serious, are you? Depression is a serious mental disease. The cause can be so various (inherited via genes, adapted bahavior, social/religous influences etc...)

I was suffering with depressions for many years, getting treatment (medication and therapy) now.

The difference between being depressed (having a bad day etc.) and suffering with depression is feeling down will go away after a period of time. Mostly there is a obvious reason for it (someone said something offensive, a negative incident happened etc.). After a while it goes away and you just feel normal again.

A real depression feels totally different. You feel sad, discouraged and useless and this over long periods of time. You experience anxieties (e. G. To fail) and have no selfesteem and self-confidence. You feel emotionally numb and are unable to act in easiest situations. Things like doing chores, doing a simple phone call etc. Are almost impossible to do. Everything is grey and dreary.
It's nothing I'd wish on anybody.

I even was thinking about death. Not that I was suicidal but I wouldn't have minded if my life would have ended then.

The major problem is you can't see a mental disease. If you got the flu or a broken arm it is obvious because it can be seen. Being depressed not. People might see that you look sad and don't feel good but they don't see a wound or cast or anything. That's why mental diseases are still often not really accepted by people.

Being Mormon can be challenging and overwhelming. Not necessarily the things you shouldn't do but more the things you should do.

Often there are so many meetings, activities and callings that I personally wondered where there is time for me.

Mondays home-evening, Tuesdays institute, Wednesday Choir....

Don't get me wrong. Those things are important. But often we forget ourself. I have seen periods of times where I basicly "should" have been every day at church. Often some members also have multible callings. Then there's the job, family, other obligations....and we want to fulfill them all because we want to be good members, participate, be active and because it is expected of us. But we need to learn to say no when we really feel it is to much. We need to find time for ourself. And we have to stop wanting to be perfect in this life because we can't nor are we expected to. We are called to become more perfect but not now all of sudden, not right away. This is what the life after the death is for.

Source 1: personal experience

18th Apr, 2011 - 7:41pm / Post ID: #

Depression In Mormonism

Germanite:

international QUOTE
I even was thinking about death. Not that I was suicidal but I wouldn't have minded if my life would have ended then.

This is exactly what I'm going through however I haven't reach the stage of seeing everything so "gray" or unable to make a phone call but I feel sad every day and I cry a lot.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 1st Feb, 2013 - 8:19pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Depression Mormonism - Page 4

UVU professor's study puts focus on LDS women and depression

LDS women in Utah are at risk for depression due to "Toxic perfectionism" and a host of other cultural factors. Ref. Source 2

Post Date: 22nd Oct, 2014 - 11:14pm / Post ID: #

Depression Mormonism Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 4

The Mormon Church addresses Depression:

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Depression In Mormonism

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,