Trinidad Rum & Roti Culture - Page 2 of 2

In my opinion, it is not historical but purely - Page 2 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 19th Aug, 2008 - 11:34pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
19th Aug, 2008 - 6:28pm / Post ID: #

Trinidad Rum & Roti Culture - Page 2

Maybe, but native Americans were never enslaved en masse (in the case of Africans in Trinidad) or were indentured labourers (in the case of Indo-Trinis). It's a fact that Indian indentured labourers in Trinidad used to turn to drink for solace, since in some instances indentureship was harsh. I think our current rum and roti culture is perhaps a legacy from that.

Besides, Africans from Africa don't drink heavily. I doubt Indians from India do either. So it's not really something that can be traced back to our distant ancestors.

Sponsored Links:
19th Aug, 2008 - 8:43pm / Post ID: #

Culture Roti and Rum Trinidad

The point of mention concerning the Native Americans was to compare end results rather than details of history, it was to show that a 'defeated' people's leaders do not teach to become loathsome. The Japanese are a good example of that - work is the ethic and it pays off. If a people want to sink themselves in vice it is because they choose to do so. People can rise above their hurt to become respectable. How many times have words such as timeliness, honor and integrity been synonymous with Trinis when it comes to work, employment, service and things that matter. The answer points towards why 'rum and roti culture' is acceptable.

19th Aug, 2008 - 11:05pm / Post ID: #

Trinidad Rum & Roti Culture Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

I see your point. But I think a drink culture is common in a lot of countries. I used to live in UK and it's common for younger people to binge drink at the weekends. I think in younger people in UK, it's done because it's cool and also for a laugh. Whether that's the same in t&t, I don't know.

19th Aug, 2008 - 11:12pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Culture Roti and Rum Trinidad

Drink is popular in many countries, but how many of those countries will have working age people making a ruckus at 9am? At least 'normal' drinkers will be sleeping the night before drunkenness, but not here, they get up and start the day with a shot. No comparison.

19th Aug, 2008 - 11:34pm / Post ID: #

Culture Roti and Rum Trinidad

In my opinion, it is not historical but purely cultural. Drinking alcohol is "part of life" in this island where heavy partying is so common. During carnival season this is even worst. The songs we hear about rum, just reflects the mentality of this society.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Trinidad Rum & Roti Culture

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,