Gear Shift Or Automatic

Gear Shift Automatic - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 29th Oct, 2004 - 12:12am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Post Date: 27th Oct, 2004 - 9:23pm / Post ID: #

Gear Shift Or Automatic

Which kind of car would you rather drive - one where the transmission is automatic or gear shift? Would your preference change if it were a space cruiser?

Sponsored Links:
28th Oct, 2004 - 4:51am / Post ID: #

Automatic Shift Gear

I've only had one car with a manual transmission, and I have to admit that it was fun to drive. There is an added sense of satisfaction in driving a 'stick shift' rather than simply putting it in drive and going. However, in the winter time manual transmissions can become tricky, so the answer to this question would depend on where I lived. If in warm weather with no chance of snow - manual. If in cold weather where snow is expected - automatic.

28th Oct, 2004 - 4:34pm / Post ID: #

Gear Shift Or Automatic Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

My car is a Geo Storm, 1990. It has a manual transmission. I love driving it, no matter what the weather. The only time I don't like driving it is in a traffic jam, as the start and stop patterns get tiring real quick.

I expect that my next car will also have a manual. If I can do it, I will probably get something like a Camaro or Firebird - both fun to drive. If not that, then I will get a Grand Prix, also with a manual.

Everything else we have owned for the last 14 years has been automatic. In the far north, (further north than malexander, by almost 8 hours) the automatic really helped. I learned the first winter up there to shift the automatic into neutral at the first hint of sliding. We had a rear wheel drive van, and by putting the transmission into neutral, it stopped the power to the rear wheels. Then, the brakes would work well to control the van.

Here in Michigan, the winters are much milder. The roads are usually cleared in a day or so, whereas in Minnesota, it could easily take a week or more before all the snow was hauled out of the streets (yes, they had to haul the snow away, because there was so much of it).

So, the automatic can make a difference in that type of situation. But I still prefer the standard.

28th Oct, 2004 - 5:08pm / Post ID: #

Automatic Shift Gear

First let me say that I only got my driver's license about a year and a half ago. The reason I waited so long was fear. I was terrified of driving. I had only done it a few times and once was because I needed to drive my mother to the hospital and I was more worried about her than my fear of driving. I did drive a stick shift car once, for about 15 minutes. My fear was intensified by the need to remember so much. Thanks to my very paitient husband I was finally able to overcome my fear and learn to drive. I now love to drive and drive to work alone everyday. I learned to drive in an automatic, a Dodge Caravan, so that's the kind of vehicle I'm most comfortable with.

Post Date: 28th Oct, 2004 - 9:15pm / Post ID: #

Gear Shift Or Automatic
A Friend

Automatic Shift Gear

I am currently driving a stick shift even though I have always had cars with automatic transmissions. I can take it or leave it and drive either one, but as far as preference is concerned I would definitely take an automatic. I guess it is a matter of convenience and comfort, especially if you have kids in the car...laugh.gif.

28th Oct, 2004 - 9:24pm / Post ID: #

Gear Shift Or Automatic

I like stick shift because of the control you have over the vehicle. In emergencies you can gear down and virtually stop the car if your brakes fail. If your battery dies you can jump start. These things you cannot do with automatic transmission. Now as far as shifting gears go, I think the gears should always be on the left/right side of the steering wheel. In this way your hand does not actually have to leave the steering wheel and you give leg room in case there are two passengers in the front.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
28th Oct, 2004 - 10:52pm / Post ID: #

Gear Shift Automatic

I learned the first winter up there to shift the automatic into neutral at the first hint of sliding. We had a rear wheel drive van, and by putting the transmission into neutral, it stopped the power to the rear wheels. Then, the brakes would work well to control the van

That is a great tip Nighthawk that I will definitely have to try this winter! If I end up in a ditch though, I'll be making a personal visit to your house laugh.gif

29th Oct, 2004 - 12:12am / Post ID: #

Gear Shift Automatic Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews

I should point out that one time it really didn't work. I was driving in Wahpeton, ND, during a freezing rain. I was only going about 10 mph, but the van started to slide. I immediately put it in neutral, gently pumped the brakes, and turned into the slide. Nothing worked. The van just gently turned around, slid into the opposite lane, and stopped when it bumped the curb. I took that as a sign that it wouldn't be safe to drive the 25 miles to work (on long, straight, windy, iced-over roads).

So I went back home, called in to my supervisor, and explained. Better safe than sorry.

smile.gif

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Gear Shift Or Automatic

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,