Food Shortage Controversy - Page 7 of 11

Yes depending on where you live here in the - Page 7 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 2nd May, 2008 - 6:56pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 11 pgs.  3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 
1st May, 2008 - 5:03pm / Post ID: #

Food Shortage Controversy - Page 7

Look at the example of Trinidad for instance. We are experiencing flour and rice shortage and what some supermarket owners are doing? They are "holding ransom" these items and ask the costumers to spend $200 or more in goods BEFORE they are allowed to buy flour! This is not only illegal but if this is not the perfect example of greed then I don't know what it is!

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Sponsored Links:
1st May, 2008 - 5:32pm / Post ID: #

Controversy Shortage Food

That is just it. I have not seen a change in supply nor in price in my local stores yet though you must keep in mind how much they likely have sitting that they bought before prices changed.

I looked yesterday just because of this thread.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

Post Date: 2nd May, 2008 - 11:24am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Food Shortage Controversy History & Civil Business Politics

Bush offers $770m for food crisis

George W Bush offers $770m (£390m) in new international food aid to help ease the effects of surging food prices.
Ref. https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/a...cas/7378807.stm

2nd May, 2008 - 11:26am / Post ID: #

Page 7 Controversy Shortage Food

Greed comes in many forms. Should the store owners allow people to buy as much as they want, I am sure that some people will buy 6 months worth in one visit. Is that not a display of greed as well? Some might say they are just protecting their families interest...others might say they are being greedy.

As with Walmart and Costco, many store owners are trying to figure out how to prevent hoarding (which only adds to the frenzy), actually sell product and keep their members happy. The one you describe in T&T seems pretty harsh and I am not sure if it is exactly illegal, but people should remember this when the shortage eases up and not visit that store any more if possible.

I checked Costco's 2008 Q1 results and they had a huge increase in profit. The majority of it was in membership purchases. Large numbers of families started buying in the bulk quantities that Costco delivers and depended less on the normal grocery store. So I decided to look at the US's largest grocery chain...Kroger and found they actually were behind last year due to inflation.

https://money.cnn.com/2008/03/11/news/compa...sion=2008031111

My grocery bill in Taiwan has gone up approximately 30% in the last 6 months. Dairy and meat have gone up quite a bit (nearly 50%). The effect of higher fuel prices and competing uses for grain have definitely hit the food sector. It took about 2 years, but it definitely has kicked in now.

Rather off topic, but...
Interesting news about the recent decrease in oil price:

https://www.forbes.com/afxnewslimited/feeds...afx4951509.html

Looks like the US is using less oil so far this year.

Yes, the dependence that is a result of the global market is a interesting topic and one that involves greed as well. The dependence that the global market generates in being the single supplier (or major) to a country. Importing most all your oil makes you susceptable to the price of oil. Importing all your beef makes you susceptable to the price of beef and so on... But the real question is why did they become your single supplier (or major). Did the country not have the resources to make the particular product? If so, there is no hope for that situation other than to stop using the product. However, in many cases, what is found is that it is cheaper to import it than make it in that particular country. Investment in infrastructure, environmental considerations, productivity and a host of other things can make it much more viable to just import a particular product, because it is cheaper. Ah, but why does being cheaper really mater if it is better in the long run to be self sufficient? Greed? We all want our money to go as far as possible. Some might say that is simply being thrifty...others might just say we are being greedy. Depends on your frame of reference...much like this entire discussion.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

2nd May, 2008 - 1:28pm / Post ID: #

Controversy Shortage Food

Yes hording is very harmful as is buying food from out of country when you can support your own. This is a hard one because every person will say but I have to go for the better value meaning get most for the dollar vs get what they need. In Ontario the farmers and the provincial government run adds on this to boost local sales. I personal try to buy local as if I do not support my local farmers who will? Plus the food tastes better especial when in season.

The prices might drop on the oil but I do not think it will drop much unless the world mandate is to ease up on the food stores. Once that is rebalanced brace for a sizable increase in oil again. The oil companies here stated last year they wanted 1.20 a liter and still have no fully managed t so I am thinking it might stabilize between 1.10 and 1.18 a litre. then after the food shortage issue quiets down it will go back up to 1.20 to 1.30.

I plan to grow most of my leafy veggies again this summer and likely tomatoes to make salsa and for canning. I do what I can to offset my dependence in the grocer and enjoy the better tasting foods. Having grown up never buying anything but milk, flour and spices from a grocer I find it easy to do and the work pleasurable. I can understand why many who could do not as it is a lot of tedious work, but all will pay for it in the end.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

Post Date: 2nd May, 2008 - 1:46pm / Post ID: #

Food Shortage Controversy
A Friend

Yes if one can grow their own veggies or even some fruits it will be better for them. Also the support of your local farmers is a good way to get fresh non processed food too. We have a farmers market here every weekend and you can get a good variety of veggies, fruits, canned good and meats. It is all locally made so the money is going right to the farmer.

I believe that if you can go and buy six months worth of food at a store you should be able to. I know a family that only shops twice a year in a store. IS that wrong for them? I do not think so. I think doing this can help the stores keep prices at a reasonable level. I would not call it greed at all.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
2nd May, 2008 - 6:43pm / Post ID: #

Food Shortage Controversy - Page 7

Honestly if there was a food shortage I wouldnt notice because I dont shop for food in the house and by all the ads I see for deals I wouldnt think there was any problem getting food either.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 18 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 1.8%

Post Date: 2nd May, 2008 - 6:56pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Food Shortage Controversy Politics Business Civil & History - Page 7

Yes depending on where you live here in the states you may not notice a food shortage if there is one. Being in a farming state I have quick access to most all kinds of foods. If a shortage happens we will see it here in the way of fruits. Otherwise I doubt I will see a food shortage for a long time.

+  « First of 11 pgs.  3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 

> TOPIC: Food Shortage Controversy

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,