Food Shortage Controversy - Page 8 of 11

World Bank offers $1.2bn food aid - Page 8 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 30th May, 2008 - 12:26pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 11 pgs.  4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 
3rd May, 2008 - 2:36am / Post ID: #

Food Shortage Controversy - Page 8

The Irish may have said similar things during their famine years:

Being in a farming state I have quick access to most all kinds of foods. If a shortage happens we will see it here in the way of fruits. Otherwise I doubt I will see a food shortage for a long time.

Ireland grew enough food to feed the entire starving population of potatoless people, but it was shipped out to England. Now, this is when you will really tell if it is greed or not. Should the majority of your local crops get shipped out of town (grown right near by) because a very dependent state/country will pay top dollar for it and as a result you see serious food shortages in your area, then it is truly greed. But with the crazy way the markets can run, if you were a farmer, would you sell it locally or would you sell it for 3x as much to another state/country? Is that greed or is that providing for your family?

Grow your own and you definitely wont have that problem!

If I am a store owner, I appreciate the 2 time a year purchase, but it really might not help me at all. It could screw up my ordering patterns if I missread what has happened, should enough people do this. I might order too much, anticipating that the demand has gone up only to find it rot on the shelves. If it depleates my inventory and I do not have any left to sell to other loyal customers, I am not too thrilled about the purchase and neither are they when they have to go somewhere else to buy their goods. Perhaps they never come back...

As for the practice of hoarding looking greedy? Well, to you and me it might look pretty normal, if we have the means, but say we were to look through the eyes of a Ethiopian at the purchase. It is all pretty relative to our prespective.

I definitely see food as being a counter to oil prices. Western countries could try to drill their own (going to take a few years). But why not just get the farms up and running over the next few years and work out some deals where oil prices are checked and grain flows? And as Krakyn said...then drill after they are about out. I am not for it, but I can certainly see it happening.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 3rd May, 2008 - 5:16pm / Post ID: #

Food Shortage Controversy
A Friend

Controversy Shortage Food

Most of what is grown locally is sold to ethanol plants and sent to feed the world. The stuff that is sold in the local markets is what they grow in their small fields to be sold at the local markets and to feed their own family. I am sure if food starts to grow short I will be planting a few things myself. We have the resources right now to feed the world and still have enough left ourselves right now. IF we farm all the land we can potentially head off a food shortage. If we hold back on food to get oil companies to lower the price of oil that could be wrong. But I can see oil and food becoming dependant on each other.

Post Date: 7th May, 2008 - 3:01pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Food Shortage Controversy History & Civil Business Politics

I believe that things are going to get worse before they get better. Normally here in Iowa we have most if not all soybeans planted by the first of May. Right now after some nice weather we now have a little over a third of the soybeans planted. I have seen a lot of fields that have yet to be touched to get them ready for planting. This is not looking to be a good year for crops here.

7th May, 2008 - 4:52pm / Post ID: #

Page 8 Controversy Shortage Food

Are the fields just still to wet? Or are the farmers debating on some other crops that plant later? With the food shortage I would be looking hard at what really is going to be short and do one field in it. The wheat shortage should boost the price on other crops like beans, Quinota, Hemp as alt3ernate grains.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

Post Date: 7th May, 2008 - 5:33pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Controversy Shortage Food

Most of the fields are too wet. Earlier this week was the first time some were able to get into their fields. We had more rain last night and on and off showers today. SO it is not looking good at all. IF We can not produce much this year food prices are going to soar.

7th May, 2008 - 6:22pm / Post ID: #

Its still early though we never plant up here for another 2 weeks to4 for gardens. I would have thought the same for your area and soya is not a overly long maturity time from what I recall.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 7th May, 2008 - 6:28pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Food Shortage Controversy - Page 8

We can hope I know everyone is worried about getting into the fields to plant. There is more rain coming friday and saturday. At this rate it will be close to june before planting is done. I know that will not help the food prices at all.

Post Date: 30th May, 2008 - 12:26pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Food Shortage Controversy Politics Business Civil & History - Page 8

World Bank offers $1.2bn food aid

The World Bank is to offer immediate financial help to countries worst hit by the sharp rise in food prices.
Ref. https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7426311.stm

+  « First of 11 pgs.  4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 

> TOPIC: Food Shortage Controversy

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,