Home Security - Page 2 of 5

Something that is over looked in home security - Page 2 - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 2nd May, 2008 - 3:48pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Top  Home Security
Post Date: 24th Apr, 2008 - 6:47pm / Post ID: #

Home Security
A Friend

Home Security - Page 2

If you have a back or side yards you can use motion sensor light to light up those areas. One thing to remember when using the motion senors is to make sure that only someone or something that is on your property will set them off. If a car drives by and your side motion senor light turns on it needs adjusting. Doing this will ensure that you and your neighbors will know if someone or something has entered your property. IF you have nosey neighbors they are sure to look out and see who is coming to visit you. Thus you have a witness to who is trying to break in. Most thieves do not want witnesses. SO they will avoid well lit places. You the home owner will also know where someone is if your lights start turning on. Maybe it is a stray dog but look outside to make sure.

If your going to be in and out of your house at irregular times get some timers to plug into some of your house lamps. Nothing foils a would be thief than to have a light come on in the house he is about to break into. This also allows you to come home to a house that is prelit. IF you have the money you can program your house lights to your computer. Thus lights will come on and off at predesigned times making it look as if someone is there. The simple timers will work for the budget minded person. This allows certain lights to come on at different times. IF more than one light comes on at the same time a thief will know it is just a timer. SO make sure you have different lights come on at different times. This can work with a radio of tv set too.

Sponsored Links:
24th Apr, 2008 - 6:52pm / Post ID: #

Security Home

I would use caution n the TV st as many need to stay on to keep competent in a ready state prior activation. Failure to do so shortens the sets life spans.

Are motion detector height adjustable or is it just distance? Sorry never have owned one and really do not like the idea of the neighbors cat setting it off all night long.

Post Date: 24th Apr, 2008 - 7:10pm / Post ID: #

Home Security
A Friend

Home Security Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

All motion senors are adjustable to height and area of operation by moving up, down or side to side. The range is preset and I am sure there are some out there that can be adjusted but your talking higher dollar there. The common ones can be adjusted so cats and other small animals do not set them off. It takes some fooling around with but you can get them to be set to a point that makes you happy.

Post Date: 25th Apr, 2008 - 2:26pm / Post ID: #

Home Security
A Friend

Page 2 Security Home

When dealing with dead bolt locks the best kind to get are the ones that require a key on both sides of the door way. This will prevent a thief from finding a way to get their hands inside (if there is a window on the door) and simply unlocking the door. Having small windows in a door is a great addition as it adds beauty to your house while being a steel door keeps the protection level up. TO add to the security around your door buy a metal plate that covers the doors latches and is held in place by the door knob and dead bolt lock. This is especially good if you are using a solid wooden door. This will prevent a screw driver or other device from notching the wood around the latch to "pop" the latch and gain entry. Another thing to get is a metal receiver that is deep enough to accept the one inch dead bolt lock and has screws that screw directly into the studs around the door instead of just the door jamb as most lock receiver plates do. The weakest point of any door is the place the door latches at. If your latch receiver plate is just held by screws in the door jamb you basing your security on less than 0ne half inch of wood. The plate that screws into the studs themselves will cost about $20 each but it will prevent a door form being kicked in. I will tell you of other preventive measures to use on your door shortly.

Post Date: 26th Apr, 2008 - 6:14pm / Post ID: #

Home Security
A Friend

Security Home

Here is a picture of the slide bolt you can get at your local hardware store.

Another method of securing your door while your at home is a bar. Now this is a bar that fits into a small metal bracket that is screwed into your door just under the door knob assembly. the other end is placed on the floor and screwed into place. The bar sits securely but a little loose in both brackets at about a 45 degree angle. If someone is able to bypass the locks they can not get in. Even a battering ram will have a very hard time getting through this door with this bar in place.

With all the ideas I have given you with door security you should now be able to better secure your house by reenforcing the main entry points. No matter what your budget you can make your house very secure. Now that we have the doorways covered I will start to talk about other ways to make your house less inviting to would be thieves.

Also if any of you have a question please ask I will answer. IF you have a specific question that you do not want to ask here be free to e-mail me. I will give e-mail out in pm's only.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please edit your Post rather than double Post.

Home Security
Home Security (Hover)

28th Apr, 2008 - 12:58pm / Post ID: #

Home Security

It just dawned on me you are saying to screw the door metal latch receiver right into the framing so a 4 to 6 inch screw will be required. I would advise any one trying that to drill a pilot holes or your door frame is going to split.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 29th Apr, 2008 - 4:57pm / Post ID: #

Home Security
A Friend

Home Security - Page 2

The metal piece your going to be using to drill into the stud will take a bigger hole than is standard for the latch plate and bolt. You will need a drill and possibly a wood chisel and hammer to get it to fit correctly.. Once it is in place you will have a very secure door.

Ok next up is your windows. The easiest way to leave a bottom floor window open a bit is by using a cut piece of wood, dowel or other object cut to length and placed so the window can not open further. The down side to this is a thief can shut the window watch the piece fall out and then open the window. Using a drill and a slide bolt you can set your window to be open just so far. A couple inches to let in the night air is perfect. The slide bolt being on the inside part of the window can slide into the wooden or steel frame of the window. This will give you a very secure window. It is almost impossible for a thief to reach in and unlock this lock. Make sure you place the lock on the furthest position from the opening. This works in the vertical or horizontal sliding window. Like I stated before if you have a casement window you must close and lock your windows at night. or when your out. This will not work on casement windows.

Post Date: 2nd May, 2008 - 3:48pm / Post ID: #

Home Security
A Friend

Home Security Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews - Page 2

Something that is over looked in home security is the outside of your house. DO you have a privacy fence that blocks people form viewing your yard. A privacy fence is a good place for a thief to work uninterrupted. A dog in the fenced in area can cure this weakness. Also look at your front and side yards. Many people like to grow bushes right outside . Again this gives a thief a place to hide while attempting to gain entry. A raised flower bed looks nice in front of a house too.

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Home Security

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,