Eternal Life & Immortality

Eternal Life Immortality - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 10th Jun, 2004 - 1:32pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
What is the difference between the two and does Eternal Life mean to live with God?
8th Jun, 2004 - 2:46pm / Post ID: #

I believe there is definately a difference between eternal life and exaltation. Even if I only make it to the telestial kingdom, I will have eternal life, but definately not exaltation.

Sponsored Links:
8th Jun, 2004 - 2:52pm / Post ID: #

Immortality and Life Eternal

My understanding is that Eternal Life is to enter the Celestial Kingdom, but to receive the highest glory within that Kingdom one would have to be Exalted, to just live forever is immortality which refers to living flesh. The distinction of living for eternity is not necessary really since we are all eternal beings and will never 'die' as to not existing anymore. Making Our Calling an Election Sure is essential to being exalted and thus everyone must eventually receive the ordinance.

8th Jun, 2004 - 8:41pm / Post ID: #

Eternal Life & Immortality Studies Doctrine Mormon

Definition for Eternal: from dictionary.com

1. Being without beginning or end; existing outside of time. See Synonyms at infinite.
2. Continuing without interruption; perpetual.
3. Forever true or changeless: eternal truths.
4. Seemingly endless; interminable. See Synonyms at ageless. See Synonyms at continual.
5. Of or relating to spiritual communion with God, especially in the afterlife.

So, I think we have to be careful about the use of the term eternal life. It can mean spiritual communion with God, which would also mean entering the Celestial Kingdom, but it can also be used to describe the state all of Heavenly Father's children will be in regardless of what kingdom it is to which they are "assigned." Because definitions 1 thorugh 4 have nothing to do with entering the Celestial Kingdom and/or exaltation.

So, then I want to know based upon this how we can be sure when a scripture is referring to definition 5 and when it means one of the other meanings. I don't think we can just assume because so many in the Church may think of the expression "eternal life" to be synonomous with exaltation that this is what is truely meant when the term presents itself in the scriptures. Since the word has multiple meanings, to me it is a matter of interpretation.

8th Jun, 2004 - 9:13pm / Post ID: #

Eternal Life is used in the context of two words that together have a specific meaning and not one or in other words in Church lingo, Eternal Life is to enter the Celestial Kingdom and Immortality is to live forever - believe me this is taught everyday by missionaries all over the world - it is in the missionary discussions.

To attain eternal life is why we came to earth. Eternal life is our goal. The definition of eternal life is to be able to live in the presence of our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ with our families for all eternity.

Indeed, you and I have a plan to guide us in our lives-the eternal plan that was given to us in the premortal world and that will bring us back into the presence of our Heavenly Father. During our mortal probation on earth, we will be tested with enticements and opposition in all things. But if we are obedient and faithful to the laws, ordinances, and covenants which we accept with our free agency, of our own free will and choice, we can attain eternal life.
Ref. Making Righteous Choices at the Crossroads of Life - Bishop Robert D. Hales

Those who have not attained to this perfection, but can obey a terrestrial law, will receive a terrestrial glory, and enjoy a terrestrial kingdom, and so on. But I believe, furthermore, that there are eternal grades of progression, which will continue worlds without end, and to an infinity of enjoyment, expansion, glory, progression, and of everything calculated to ennoble and exalt mankind.

This is one of our first estates, or it is our second estate, if you please, an we move on from state to state, with a knowledge of the true principles of the eternal world revealed to us, which principles are eternal-eternal truth, eternal life, eternal intelligence, leading us on to the possession of celestial kingdoms of God. From intelligence to intelligence, from glory to glory, from power to power we proceed onward, until we possess thrones, and powers, and dominions in the eternal worlds. And I pray God to give us power to obtain all these things in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.
Ref. Journal of Discourses, Vol.1, p.159, John Taylor, June 12, 1853

Jesus will plead for you before the Father, and say, "Father, I not only died for Adam's sin, but for the sins of all the world, inasmuch as they believe in my Gospel; and now these individuals have repented, they have reformed their lives, and have become like little children in my sight, and have performed the works I have given them to do-and now, Father, may they be saved with an everlasting salvation in thy presence, and sit down with me on my throne, as I have overcome, and sit down with thee on thy throne; and may they be crowned, with all the sanctified, with immortality and eternal life, no more to be cast away."
Ref. Journal of Discourses, Vol.1, p.288 - p.289, Orson Pratt, July 25, 1852

8th Jun, 2004 - 9:26pm / Post ID: #

Encyclopedia of Mormonism:

Eternal Life

The scriptures clearly state that eternal life comes from God through his son Jesus Christ (John 3:16; 14:6; Heb. 5:9; 2 Ne. 31:20-21; Alma 11:40; Ether 3:14; D&C 45:8), and is the "greatest of all the gifts of God" (D&C 14:7; see also Exaltation; Godhood). To Latter-day Saints the phrase "eternal life" refers not only to everlasting life but also and more particularly to the quality of life God lives. Eternal life is available to all people who have lived on earth who accept this gift by their obedience to God's laws and ordinances.

God's work, and the source of his glory, is bringing to pass "the immortality and eternal life" of his children (Moses 1:39). In other words, God works to enable his children's return to his presence so that they may both live with him and live as he lives.

So allied is Christ with the Father that the scriptures sometimes define eternal life as "knowing" them: "This is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent" (John 17:3; D&C 132:24).

Knowing Christ in this world comes by receiving him and his law (D&C 132:23-24). Jeremiah spoke for the Lord: "I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts"¦. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour"¦saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me" (Jer. 31:33-34). As stated in the Gospel of John, one begins to know Christ and his will by searching the scriptures, for, as Jesus affirmed, "they are they which testify of me" (John 5:39).

Having the law written in one's heart implies an acceptance that prompts action; indeed, the scriptures mention many actions that one must take in order to receive the gift of eternal life. To enter the path leading toward eternal life, one must exercise faith in Christ (John 3:36; 6:47; Moro. 7:41), repent, be baptized for the remission of one's sins (2 Ne. 31:17-18), and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. The scriptures state that once on the path, the believer must strive to keep the commandments (2 Ne. 31:19-20; Alma 7:15-16)-that is, to do the works of righteousness (D&C 59:23), primary among which is charity (1 Cor. 13; Matt. 25:34-36). The believer must also endure to the end (2 Ne. 31:20-21; D&C 50:5; cf. Paul's phrase "patient continuance in well doing," Rom. 2:7), and make covenants in connection with temple ordinances (D&C 124:55; 128:12).

While in mortality, individuals may come to a stage of knowing the Father and the Son that allows the Lord to promise them eternal life. This occurrence is described in scripture as receiving the Holy Spirit of promise (D&C 88:3-4) and the Second Comforter (John 14:16; D&C 88:2-4; see also Jesus Christ, Second Comforter); having the more sure word of prophecy (D&C 131:5); and having one's calling and election made sure (2 Pet. 1:10; D&C 131:5).

God invites all people to seek and ask earnestly for eternal life, and reassures all who do so that they will not be given a stone (cf. Matt. 7:7-11). They are promised "revelation upon revelation, knowledge upon knowledge," which brings an understanding of "peaceable things-that which bringeth joy, that which bringeth life eternal" (D&C 42:61). Those who will receive eternal life in its fullest come forth in the first resurrection (Mosiah 15:21-25) and inherit the highest degree of glory in the Celestial Kingdom (D&C 76:50-59; 88:4; 101:65).

The Prophet Joseph Smith was at a loss for words to capture the eternal splendor of God the Father and of his son Jesus Christ, "whose brightness and glory defy all description" (JS-H 1:17). Language can describe the glories of eternal life only inadequately through metaphors of overwhelmingly bright light or fire (Ex. 24:17; Acts 26:13-15; Rev. 21:23; 1 Ne. 1:8-10; D&C 110:1-4; cf. "shine as the brightness of the firmament," Dan. 12:3); pure truth (John 14:6; Ether 4:12; D&C 84:45-48; 93:36; Moses 7:29-40); glass or crystal (Rev. 4:6; D&C 130:9); and timelessness (Ps. 90:4;  Pet. 3:8; Rev. 10:6; Alma 40:8; D&C 88:110). Paul points out how far eternal life exceeds the descriptive ability of language when he says, "Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him" (Cor. 2:9).
[See also Immortality and Eternal Life.]

I think that this not only shows what I was trying to say, but also defines the Calling and Election (notice the Second Comforter).

10th Jun, 2004 - 12:36pm / Post ID: #

Tena, do you remember the Missionary's discussions? the definitions of Eternal Life and Immortality are covered there. You can ask the missionaries of your ward to show you what the Church as a body think about Eternal Life.
This has nothing to do with interpretation (because there is nothing to interpret ). This is basic Church doctrine. JB and Nighthawk added great scriptures and talks that specifically say that Eternal Life is to live with God forever. Now, what are your thoughts about it after reading those scriptures and talks?.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
10th Jun, 2004 - 12:59pm / Post ID: #

I still think we have to be careful when assuming that every time someone uses the term Eternal Life in a scripture that it means entry into the Celestial Kingdom. I think we think of Eternal Life in terms of living with Heavenly Father in the Celestial Kingdom and so that is how we refer to it, but I believe that anyone who lives forever is living eternally.

I need to give it more thought personally, but for now we just don't agree on what the term means in all cases.

10th Jun, 2004 - 1:32pm / Post ID: #

Eternal Life & Immortality Mormon Doctrine Studies

But to live for ever is immortality, NOT eternal life and that's why this scripture specifically separate both terms as different:

"For behold this is my work and my glory, to bring to pass the immortality and Eternal Life of man" (Moses 1:39).

Someone that lives for ever is IMMORTAL.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Eternal Life & Immortality

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,