178th Annual General Conference

178th Annual General Conference - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 8th Apr, 2008 - 11:02pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
5th Apr, 2008 - 3:10am / Post ID: #

178TH ANNUAL GENERAL CONFERENCE

What are you looking forward to in this Conference? In the case, of the Conference already past, what did you enjoy the most?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 5th Apr, 2008 - 3:32am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Conference General Annual th

THOUSANDS TO ATTEND 178TH ANNUAL GENERAL CONFERENCE
See https://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgne...0000176f620a___

More than 100,000 Church members, friends, and invited guests are expected to attend the 178th Annual General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Five sessions of the conference will be held Saturday and Sunday, April 5-6, 2008, in the Conference Center in Salt Lake City, Utah. Millions will watch or listen to conference proceedings via television, radio, satellite, and Internet broadcasts.

6th Apr, 2008 - 7:25pm / Post ID: #

178th Annual General Conference Studies Doctrine Mormon

I'm looking forward to see what Pres. Monson in particular has to say about the current direction the Church is heading.

Post Date: 8th Apr, 2008 - 1:08pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

LDS leader reaches out, urges respect

President Thomas S. Monson issued an appeal Sunday for those who have left the LDS Church to come back, and for church members to respect people whose beliefs differ from theirs.
Ref. https://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695268086,00.html

8th Apr, 2008 - 4:18pm / Post ID: #

Did anyone attended Priesthood session and saw Pres. Monson wiggling his ear? I only read about it as well as the loud laugh that it caused in the session. Maybe I am way too old fashion but it doesn't sound good.

8th Apr, 2008 - 5:33pm / Post ID: #

It was funny.

I am not bothered by humor in a prophet, as long as it is appropriate.

I believe the prohibition against loud laughter is a reference to laughter that is mocking, that is irreverent.

As with all emotions and actions there is appropriate uses of Laughter. There are also inappropriate uses of all emotions. I do not know where is that line is.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
8th Apr, 2008 - 5:41pm / Post ID: #

Maybe it's an "American" thing. spock.gif I don't find it funny and I do have a good sense of humor. *smile*

I believe the prohibition against loud laughter is a reference to laughter that is mocking, that is irreverent.

Based on the comments I read online, that's exactly the kind of laugh that caused, loud and irreverent. Of course I wasn't there but is interesting to notice that it seems his wife told him NOT to share the story but he did it anyways.

I have no problem with a Prophet with a good sense of humor either. I suppose living in such dangerous times, with evil surrounding us constantly, temptations being all over us, Satan having a grasp in our members and families....I don't see how wiggling ears and loud laughter in Priesthood session can be of any help.

8th Apr, 2008 - 11:02pm / Post ID: #

178th Annual General Conference Mormon Doctrine Studies

You have to remember that the priesthood session is a place for Men to receive uplifting and inspiring messages that will help them become better Men. The story given by President Monson is one that Men would appreciate (and one with a great point), given the fact that men learn, by nature, from imitation.

I do not have the direct quote as it is not on the LDS website.
The story as quoted by Rusty Linquest in President Monson: His Personal Touch:

In his Priesthood address, he told a story of sitting up on the stand, some time ago, in a Sacrament meeting somewhere.  He said that as he sat there, he noticed a little boy in the audience, who was sitting exactly the way he was sitting. 

He said that s he"d cross his legs, the boy would cross his legs too.  When he switched legs, the boy would imitate his very position. 

He then said that he tried putting his chin in his hand (which he reenacted tonight) and true to form, the boy did the same.  Then, right before he was about to get up to address the congregation, he said he thought he"d really put the boy to the test.  So he looked the boy squarely in the eyes, so he knew he was focused only on him, and wiggled his ears! (As he said this, he paused, and with amazing dexterity, wiggled his ears).  Of course, we all laughed, and heartily. 

Once we"d stopped laughing, he commented "My wife told me not to do that".  We all laughed again. 

He then continued, saying that at this point, the boy looked dumbfounded, turned and got his fathers attention, whispered something in his ear, then pointed to his own ears, and pointed back to President Monson.  He said that when the father looked up at him, he just looked back, completely solemn faced, as if nothing had happened.

The point was that the young men watch their Leaders very closely and try to emulate them. As a Leader of young men, I believe it was a lighthearted and effective way to show that individuals have a very strong influence on others.

As to Prophets being a little too lighthearted I would site the following:

From President Oaks talk Joseph the man and the prophet:

"He (Joseph Smith) would play with the people," one acquaintance recalled, "and he was always cheerful and happy" (Rachel Ridgeway Grant, "Joseph Smith, the Prophet," Young Woman's Journal 16 [Dec. 1905]: 551). He loved little children and often frolicked with them in a manner shocking to some accustomed to the exaggerated sobriety of other ministers. These warm, human qualities caused some to deny Joseph's prophetic role, but they endeared him to many who knew him. 

The Prophets (throughout the scriptures and today) are Men who have human qualities, and human emotions. They understand very well that people need to have humor and love life, and it sometimes causes people to question their judgment.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: 178th Annual General Conference

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,