Jesus The Christ By Talmage

Jesus Christ Talmage - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 13th Jul, 2014 - 5:22pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
LDS Author
Post Date: 29th Jun, 2014 - 1:01pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

For those who have read or are familiar with this book: Jesus the Christ by Talmage, did you like it? Do you believe it is doctrinally sound?

Sponsored Links:
30th Jun, 2014 - 5:01am / Post ID: #

Talmage Christ Jesus

I read it on my mission, actually I started it once on my mission, didn't finish it, then started over and finished it.

There are some things that Talmage does miss (Mostly Joseph Smith Translation) that changes some of the meanings of what is happening. But for the church to endorse the book (And publish it) its enough of the doctrine with what the church believes in.

The tough part is Talmage uses big words. On my mission I had this pocket dictionary that had most of the big words, so it does help to look them up instead of just guessing.

Post Date: 5th Jul, 2014 - 11:36pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Jesus The Christ By Talmage Studies Doctrine Mormon

When I read it something about it just resonated with me and I couldn't put it down, I'm not a big reader I don't think I could honestly say I've read the book of Mormon all the way through, but I read Jesus the Christ in less than a week.

12th Jul, 2014 - 1:25pm / Post ID: #

Talmage Christ Jesus

I read it. Very detailed book. Not one of my favorite reads, but it was inspirational and gave me a greater perspective.

12th Jul, 2014 - 1:35pm / Post ID: #

Talmage Christ Jesus

international QUOTE
But for the church to endorse the book (And publish it) its enough of the doctrine with what the church believes in.

I won't say so. Talmage quoted from the book in general conference and some brethren basically rejected some of what he said and his quote was removed from the general conference publication.
I read the book, it is good but I see it mainly as Elder Talmage's "interesting" opinions on different subjects.

Post Date: 12th Jul, 2014 - 2:28pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

As tubaloth said it is published by the church and is one of the few books other than the scriptures that you can buy from the church distribution centers. Its also one of the only book again other than the scriptures that missionaries are allowed to read, why would they have the missionaries read it if it wasn't official church doctrine?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
13th Jul, 2014 - 4:14pm / Post ID: #

Jesus Christ Talmage

international QUOTE (EAG)

why would they have the missionaries read it if it wasn't official church doctrine?

The Church released an statement on what constitutes "official" LDS doctrine a couple of years ago:

international QUOTE
Not every statement made by a Church leader, past or present, necessarily constitutes doctrine. A single statement made by a single leader on a single occasion often represents a personal, though well-considered, opinion, but is not meant to be officially binding for the whole Church. With divine inspiration, the First Presidency (The prophet and his two counselors) and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles (The second-highest governing body of the Church) counsel together to establish doctrine that is consistently proclaimed in official Church publications. This doctrine resides in the four standard works of scripture (The Holy Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price), official declarations and proclamations, and the Articles of Faith. Isolated statements are often taken out of context, leaving their original meaning distorted.
Source 1 I think the statement speaks by itself.

13th Jul, 2014 - 5:22pm / Post ID: #

Jesus Christ Talmage Mormon Doctrine Studies

Jesus the Christ must be one of the best LDS books ever written. Elder Talmage is a wonderful and extremely intelligent author/teacher. I read the book 5 times on my mission, a lot more than I read the Book of Mormon. I highly recommend it, both to member and non-member!

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Jesus The Christ By Talmage

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,