Were We Like The Flds - Page 2 of 3

alskann: QUOTE In personal accounts from FLDS - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 12th Jun, 2008 - 11:55pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
8th May, 2008 - 3:47am / Post ID: #

Were We Like The Flds - Page 2

Stavyn, what are you talking about? You certainly are not talking about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, it must be some other church. Now I am a bit annoyed that this topic is going in a different direction than what I intended. Moderators please look at this.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 8th May, 2008 - 5:16pm / Post ID: #

Were We Like The Flds
A Friend

Flds The We Were

QUOTE (Stavyn)
No reason for me to elaborate if you believe to begin with that I am insincere.  Frankly, I'm disappointed. 

I don't think you're insincere, but I think you embellished the facts some.

Here's what your initial claim was:

"I have lived in Southwestern states where I saw the Church sanction and bless marriages of 12-year-old girls."

Then Isiah53 asked you this:
QUOTE (Isiah53)

Are you suggesting that local LDS churches sanctioned 12 year old marriages in the U.S.?

Your reply:
QUOTE (Stavyn)
No, I wasn't suggesting that local LDS churches sanctioned 12 year old marriages.  I was implying that I had witnessed a wedding at which the bride was 12 years old. 

You originally said you saw the Church sanction marriages of 12-year-old girls, but that's not the case. A bishop doing this on the side is a far cry from having it sanctioned by the Church. Let's not confuse what a bishop does with what is sanctioned by the Church. I think your initial claim was an exaggeration. The Church sanctioned no such thing. And that's why I challenged you on it.

Remember, bishops have done lots of things unsanctioned by the Church.

QUOTE (Stavyn)
What evidence could I possibly provide anyway?

Any official LDS documentation of where the Church has sanctioned 12-year-old marriages in the U.S. during your lifetime, or news stories, etc.

QUOTE (Stavyn)
I was attempting to contribute to the discussion by reporting what I myself had witnessed.  I was told it was not uncommon for girls in that area to marry at that age.

But then if it really was common, then there should be some sort of record of it happening.

QUOTE (Stavyn)
Why persecute me for telling the truth?

You might want to re-read my message. I simply said that I didn't believe your claim, and that I thought it amounted to blowing smoke. I wasn't questioning your motives or saying that you were intentionally lying about it.

And the fact that your original statement was later modified by you to say that the Church really didn't sanction the marriage is the core issue that was challenged. You should be held accountable to what you originally claimed. If it was an inaccurate claim, take responsibility for it, that's all.

8th May, 2008 - 9:10pm / Post ID: #

Were We Like The Flds Studies Doctrine Mormon

Styvn, Thanks for clarifying for me your answer on the 12 year old marriage. I did not think your meant that the church sanctioned the marriage, but I just wanted to clarify that I was hearing you right. Words can get convoluted online. I have no reason to question or doubt your experiences. When we do that we then miss out the blessings from hearing others experiences and insights. Besides this church is a church that we experience more then anything else.
As far as social norms and cultures, true they do vary between cutlers. And yes marriage age does as well. On the whole is there a right and wrong between cultural norms? Perhaps not. But there is a law set within those cutlers that defines those norms and in Texas that law is defined and if you engage in underage marriage defined by the law it is wrong regardless of how relative the standard is. By your logic it is like saying that just because illegal drugs are accepted in some cultures, and nations, I should have a right to get high here in Ohio because drug use is irrelevant. That logic would not stand up in court. That is incorrect because regardless of the variance of standards with drugs around the world, it is illegal here and by law wrong.

Post Date: 22nd May, 2008 - 10:56am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Flds The We Were

Name: Will

Comments: The texas child protective services are also taking away the book of Mormon from Children. DO NOT be fooled. It is about freedom of religion. The Majority of the cases found have involved Adults over the age of 18. Freedom of religion is being taken away from all of us, I fear we may be next.

22nd May, 2008 - 11:30am / Post ID: #

Flds The We Were

We need to tell the whole story. The reason they took away the Book of Mormon is because each copy has a stamped picture of Warren Jeffs, a convicted sex offender. I am not saying I agree with this decision but explaining why they did it since they were allowed to keep certain literature but I agree it has to do with freedom of religion or at least it seems so.

Post Date: 12th Jun, 2008 - 6:23am / Post ID: #

Were We Like The Flds
A Friend

Were We Like The Flds

I think if they are taking Books of Mormon away from children no matter who's picture is stamped in it is a violation of our civil rights to have religious freedom.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
12th Jun, 2008 - 6:55am / Post ID: #

Were We The Flds - Page 2

QUOTE (McKay @ 3-May 08, 10:24 AM)
what the church used to be like when plural marriage was practised? ..., I'm talking about the way the women look and talk.

Considering that it has been over 100 years since the Church discontinued the active practice of plural marriage it is difficult to make a comparison. I have never seen any indicatoin that women in the church were as submissive as those seen recently from the FLDS. In both Church history and my own family accounts LDS women were encouraged to be educated and not treated as possessions. They were able to have a voice in both their marriage and the community. In personal accounts from FLDS sister wives this is not necessarily their modern day experiences.

As for the dress, I do not see how women dressed 100 years ago relevant to how women dress today, FLDS or not. Perhaps you could clarify what you are asking on the dress.

12th Jun, 2008 - 11:55pm / Post ID: #

Were We The Flds Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

alskann:

In personal accounts from FLDS sister wives this is not necessarily their modern day experiences.

How truthful are those accounts coming from people who left that Church bitterly? It is like asking an Anti-Mormon or a member who left angrily how the Church is like now days.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Were We Like The Flds

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,