How Does The Bishop Decide Who Gets Welfare?

How Bishop Decide Welfare - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 2nd Aug, 2014 - 1:21am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
15th Oct, 2009 - 7:00pm / Post ID: #

Have you ever wondered what is the 'terms' for the Bishop giving out Welfare support to a Member(s)? Let's put a scenario: Suppose in your Ward there are a number of immigrant families that you believe are supported on welfare help by the Church both financially for utilities and with commodities like food, etc. You never asked before for help but after you lose your job you approach the Bishop who says he has no funds to help you. Do you see that as 'unfair'?

Sponsored Links:
16th Oct, 2009 - 4:44am / Post ID: #

Welfare Who Decide Bishop The How

I would think it is unfair. However, I don't think this scenerio would happen. I think that welfare may be based on the member's activity level and if they are tithe payers. There are definitely individuals who will come to the church for a hand-out, because they know they can get it there....I have seen that first hand. In my opinion if it is a member of the ward family, especially if they are active, should never be turned down. If it is someone who just pops up out of the blue, their help should be limited. Good thing I will never be a bishop....that's hard stuff.

16th Oct, 2009 - 12:34pm / Post ID: #

How Does The Bishop Decide Who Gets Welfare? Studies Doctrine Mormon

international QUOTE (Drea @ 16-Oct 09, 4:44 AM)
However, I don't think this scenerio would happen. I think that welfare may be based on the member's activity level and if they are tithe payers.

I'm not sure how long you have been a member but this scenario does happen and quite often. The welfare system doesn't work in the same way around the world. You would find that in some areas, the Bishop is willing to pay for rent and utilities but in another area and under the same circumstances another Bishop is not. This is one of the downfalls of having a lay ministry in my view. It is always upon the discretion of the leader at the time. Sometimes people are blessed by this direction and sometimes they're put in a very difficult situation, specially if they don't have anybody else to turn to so answering the question posted by Jb, yes I think that situation is unfair.

I believe the Church is wealthy enough to afford to help those members who are in need. The "we can't afford it" it is statistically impossible. On top of that, when Christ was on the Earth he helped everyone without asking any type of requirements but Faith. If a member is not paying his/her tithing and he is in a desperate situation (lost his/her job, etc) and needs food to feed his/her family. Are we saying we would evaluate whether to help them or not? Since when have we become judges over our brethren and decide whether they're worthy of our help or not?

Bureaucracy and a lay ministry often hurt (intentional or not) those who are truly in need.

16th Oct, 2009 - 1:53pm / Post ID: #

Actually, that scenario is very close to reality. Here in Utah, apparently the leaders have been told not to help with rent or house payments. At the same time, transients and indigents are given almost unlimited food support, as well as other forms of financial support.

I know of a woman who was recently divorced, and needed help to keep her home while she looked for a job. No chance. It is now obvious that it doesn't matter if a person is being forced onto the streets or into trash housing.

16th Oct, 2009 - 7:31pm / Post ID: #

I would imagine the welfare system would be different throughout the ward. NightHawk, I'm here in Utah as well, and we have the Bishops Store-Houses, which are wonderful, but not found throughout the world. When I lived in Florida and my mother was the RS President, I remember they made food orders and went to the stores.

When my husband was laid-off for a year, we went to the church for help. Of course they didn't pay for our $1400 mortgage, but they did help with utilities, and we were allowed to go to the bishops store-house, between that help and my job and unemployment, we made it! It was several months in before we needed help. It was humiliating to me, but I was thankful. We were very active full tithe paying members.

I do remember hearing from one of my friends in the neighborhood, who was active, maybe not tithe payers, but they had fallen into the same circumstance a few years earlier, I was astounded to hear that the bishop would not let them go to the Bishops store-house for food....that never made sense to me. They had six children.

16th Oct, 2009 - 8:23pm / Post ID: #

I live here in Utah as well and I know both full tithe payers and non-full tithe payers get church help so I don't think it has nothing to do with the level of activity but more about the kind of training/experience the Bishop may have. They're good people but sometimes they don't do everything according to the books but they mean well.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 1st Aug, 2014 - 10:21pm / Post ID: #

How The Bishop Decide Who Welfare

Name: Barney

Comments: I have been a baptized Mormon my whole life. I let go of the rod on my journey for many years. Till one day two young men came to my door. I let them in, my family listened and not far down the road my wife was baptized. Sound good? We went to church(I did mostly) trying to get my family to church here in Berkshire county. Well my wife and I were having trying time while heating fuel was 450 a gallon. I turned to the church for help I got "make sure you pay your tithing" I gotta say WOW thanks. Wife and I were offered to see a church counselor a good hour and a half away at 450 a gallon for gas and no able to make ends meet. Well you figure that one out. I soon took ANOTHER second job which didn't allow me to get to church due to my schedule. See I had to feed my family and pay bills. After a while the wife and I separated. She was having a hard time making ends meet on her own. She turned to the church that she was now a member of. She asked for food help and got "your un-willing to come to church so we can't help" the last she heard was over 6 months ago and the bishop was suppose to go over and meet with her. That was 6 months ago. See here in Berkshire county the church has clicks. If your not in their click you arent crap. Well needless to say I will not ever attend a Mormon church here in the Berkshires ever again. We weren't looking for a hand out, but a hand up. Now the wife and I are getting a divorce and the house fell through. I don't blame you all for my mis-furtune, but for your lack of help even with the most simple things as food for my wife. The real sad thing is those two young men that got me to hold on to the rod for that tree of life.. Their work was in vein.. Oh if you ever need my help I will be there for you free of charge and with no conditions

2nd Aug, 2014 - 1:21am / Post ID: #

How The Bishop Decide Who Welfare Mormon Doctrine Studies

Hi Barney, welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear of your misfortunes in life and with your dealings with some of your local leaders. I cannot comment much because I do not know the details of your particular situation, having said keep in mind leaders are men who commit mistakes like the rest of us. Again, sorry for what you went through. I hope things are much better for you and your family.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: How Does The Bishop Decide Who Gets Welfare?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,