Mormon Doctrine: Can Satan Hear Our Prayers?

Mormon Doctrine Satan Hear Prayers - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 10th Aug, 2014 - 4:54pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Temple
3rd Aug, 2014 - 7:11pm / Post ID: #

During the temple Adam is praying, and Satan comes and says "I hear you." That got me thinking if Satan can hear our prayers? Now this is kind of tough. I can see a true prayer, done by the spirit, might not be something that Satan can listen in on. But I can see a more casual prayer. I don't know if that matters that much, because I would assume Satan already knows what we desire, he wouldn't really need to listen in on prayers to figure that out (I wouldn't think). I have heard that Satan can't read our thoughts, but can put thoughts in our head? Next would be, could Satan answer our prayers? Meaning if I pray for a job, could Satan somehow end up leading me to a job that might not be the best for me? Either not a good work environment, or have to work on Sunday? I would think, if I have the spirit, I would recognize a "bad" job. But it's a matter if Satan can really imitate answers to our prayers? What is the limit of Satan's power?

Sponsored Links:
3rd Aug, 2014 - 7:31pm / Post ID: #

Prayers Hear Satan Doctrine Mormon

international QUOTE
During the temple Adam is praying, and Satan comes and says "I hear you." That got me thinking if Satan can hear our prayers?

Yes, he can hence it is so important for us to do our personal prayers in silence and pray in our hearts instead of out loud.

international QUOTE
I have heard that Satan can't read our thoughts, but can put thoughts in our head?

Yes, but he puts thoughts in our heads based on OUR behavior. He observes us, he listens to us and that's where he gets the tools to tempt us. Let's say a person is addicted to smoking and Satan sees his struggle of on and off smoking, he can put thoughts in this person's head to fall for another cigarette based on what he saw this person doing, not out of the blue.

international QUOTE
Next would be, could Satan answer our prayers? Meaning if I pray for a job, could Satan somehow end up leading me to a job that might not be the best for me? Either not a good work environment, or have to work on Sunday? I would think, if I have the spirit, I would recognize a "bad" job. But it's a matter if Satan can really imitate answers to our prayers?

Yes, the Spirit is key here. He can put/lead you to anything but is up to you to recognize the evil influence he is putting you through.

6th Aug, 2014 - 1:55am / Post ID: #

Mormon Doctrine: Can Satan Hear Our Prayers? Studies Doctrine Mormon

international QUOTE
Yes, he can hence it is so important for us to do our personal prayers in silence and pray in our hearts instead of out loud.

I think growing up I thought this was the "safe" way to go. But the more if I studied, that its actually better to pray out loud. I don't think I can find any specific quote but I know a couple of times on a mission I was taught that praying out loud keeps you mind more focus because you actually have to say the words.

But really I can't see either really matter. I can't see one prayer being any different (For God or Satan) its a matter of the spirit that it does in.

international QUOTE
Yes, but he puts thoughts in our heads based on OUR behavior.

But is this really doctrine that Satan can't read our minds. That seems a little strange that Satan has power to put thoughts into our head (What ever power that is) but doesn't have enough power to actually hear/read those thoughts? How does Satan know that he "planted" the right though in our head, if he can't in a way see both sides. It seems like this could just be another doctrine that we all assume. Or what to feel good about.

I think its more a matter of the spirit that pray is done in. As the spirit is stronger then Satan's power is less, even to reading our thoughts.

7th Aug, 2014 - 5:24am / Post ID: #

Satan cannot read our minds, hence he uses temptation in order to get people to "fall". Otherwise why would he even bother to tempt Jesus?

7th Aug, 2014 - 7:51pm / Post ID: #

I'm not sure I'm following you. What does tempting Jesus have to do with Satan being able to hear our thoughts or not?

Wouldn't Satan have to know what Jesus was thinking? Maybe not. I mean the food temptation is kind of a no brainer, but the others was just trying to tempt Jesus' human side (Power and glory).

I guess I just don't know where this idea (Doctrine) of Satan not being able to read our thoughts comes from? Strange that Satan only has one way access to my thoughts. Satan can put as many thoughts in, but this power that he has to put thoughts in is only limited to one direction. That Satan can't get any thoughts out (Even the ones he put in)

10th Aug, 2014 - 12:16pm / Post ID: #

The idea that Satan cannot read our thoughts is based upon the following passage from the D&C:

international QUOTE
"Yea, I tell thee, that thou mayest know that there is none else save God that knowest thy thoughts and the intents of thy heart." (D&C 6:16)

Unfortunately, most members of the Church never read this scripture in context. In the History of the Church, it is clear from Joseph and Oliver say that they interpreted it to mean that no "mortal" person could read their thoughts--not that spirits could not read our thoughts.

Furthermore, it is clear that the Prophet who received this revelation--the Prophet Joseph Smith--did not interpret it as many do today, because years later he taught that:

"The spirits of our departed dead are not far from us. Enveloped in flaming fire, they know and feel our thoughts and motions and are often pained therewith." (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith)

It does make one wonder, if Satan can put thoughts in our minds, then that means that we have mental telepathy--the ability to read his thoughts. But are we to assume that the mental telepathy only works in one direction? That Satan can transmit his thoughts to us but is unable to read our thoughts? How do spirits communicate, anyway? What influence or impact would physical molecules of air have on spiritual timpanic membranes (Ear drums)? And what influence would spiritual vocal chords have on physical molecules of air? If spirits do not communicate via vibrations of molecules of air, then how do they communicate? In fact, many near-death experiences specifically indicate that those who experienced them did communicate by thought while in the spirit world. Thus, if spirits do, in fact, communicate by thought, then why would they not be able to read our thoughts.

I know that the apostates belonging to the TLC down in Manti make the same assumption--I.e., that Satan cannot read our thoughts--and therefore they assume that any answer that they received to a prayer prayed silently must be from the Lord. This has helped to lead them astray. I don't think that we should make the same mistake. I think it would be safer to assume that Satan can read our thoughts and that we should not necessarily assume that any answer we receive to a prayer prayed silently is necessarily from the Lord. Care should be taken in these things.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 10th Aug, 2014 - 4:54pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Doctrine Satan Hear Prayers

Name: Jordan

Title: Can Satan Read our thoughts

Comments: The church provides some great insights to this question. The answer to this question is in a book written by Elder ElRay L. Christiansen.

> TOPIC: Mormon Doctrine: Can Satan Hear Our Prayers?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,