Autism Scams - Give Us Your Money For The Cure

Autism Scams Give Money Cure - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 26th Sep, 2014 - 10:49pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Video Available You do the math: If a session with a therapist costs $300 and you need at least 2 hours a day 5 days a week to have a significant impact on your autistic child then how much will you spend in a month? What about if you had more than one autistic child? What about if your salary covered none of that?
Autism Scams - Give Us Your Money For The Cure Related Information to Autism Scams - Give Us Your Money For The Cure
10th Aug, 2014 - 3:36pm / Post ID: #

In the 14 years I've been dealing with Autism I can tell you that the best help you can give your children is yourself! Most people do not recognize that the MOST important learning of social / life skills begins at home. Often, doctors, therapists and so called "Professionals" Will tell you that they are expert and offer you their services to 'help'. Really this is about helping their business and nothing more. Once I was contacted online by a guy promising me that his program could significantly help with behavioral problems my autistic son was having. I asked him to relay what information he had and the first thing he needed was US$200. Initially people sound so caring and want to 'help' but the idea is you must pay them to 'help' you. The point about it is that people need to make money, true, but they are choosing to do it based on your desperation for help and thus they charge the most they can. In a place like Trinidad where specialized services is rare and what little is available can only be afforded by the very affluent, some parents of autistic children choose to go with whomever will 'take their children' (Usually schools really designed for neurotypical children or schools that say they are special needs but no one in the school is trained) not knowing what abuse might take place while the parent is not around. One therapy session every now and again is not going to significantly impact your autistic children, more so when you see that the therapist does nothing more amazing than what you can do for yourself. Granted, not every parent can be with their children constantly, but if they do not have big bucks then what are they supposed to do? This is not unique to my country either, see this article:

international QUOTE
To investigate Jacqui's claims and to discover exactly what is being offered to parents, I visited five practitioners of 'biomedical' autism therapies posing as a parent of a three-year-old boy diagnosed with ASD. Ref. Source 6

Below is a dramatization of what one mother with 7 children (5 autistic) went through:

The Answer: So what is the solution for this? Ideally governments need to recognize the serious problems that parents of autistic children have on their hands and PAY for the therapy and medical treatment they need. With the amount we pay in taxes that money should be going to our children and not filling the pockets of politicians. Until that 'perfect world solution' comes the best you can do is what I said early - give therapy to your own child. Learn what the therapists do from observation, read the books, talk with other parents because you are your child's best hope.
Related to this: The Media's Portrayal Of Autism & The Truth

Sponsored Links:
15th Aug, 2014 - 2:21am / Post ID: #

Cure The Money Your Give Scams Autism

In any service profession there is a range of people that truly want to help, all the way down to people who want to "milk the system" for as much as they can. Dealing with mental issues, since there is no clear, medical proof of what a person has, and how to deal with it, it is an easy target for con artists, that can charge high prices for unproven techniques in teaching, therapy and "life skills". That said, for someone, like me, who doesn't know anything about mental issues, I"d go to someone who is an expert, I"d make sure to ask what his/her qualifications are, and find out if there is a group support for that mental issue, like there is for autism. Sadly there is no clear cut answer to how to help, since there is a wide range of function with autism, ranging from a person that mentally will stay 5-7 years old, all the way up to doctors and CEO's who have problems understanding social situations, facial expressions, etc"¦

27th Aug, 2014 - 3:35pm / Post ID: #

Autism Scams - Give Us Your Money For The Cure Health & Special Psychology

international QUOTE
In any service profession there is a range of people that truly want to help, all the way down to people who want to "milk the system" for as much as they can

While I'm not too familiar with autism I am very much aware of health professionals, specially those in the mental health world, that take a big advantage over patients who are eager for some kind of cure or solution to their dilemma. The 'milkers' as my friend above referenced are more prevalent that the genuine helpers. Usually you will get more from someone now starting out in the field than someone veteran and experienced.

Post Date: 1st Sep, 2014 - 5:06pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

The therapist my son saw was extraordinarily helpful. She taught us about neuro diversity, what autism is all about and what happens in their brains. She taught us about the culture and what it means to live with someone who's autistic. We also learned from her coping mechanisms and behavioral tips- raising a child with autism.

She also met with him to learn more about him. He found that very helpful.

I don't think all medical professionals are bad. That in itself is a blanket statement that I don't feel it's correct.

It was worth the money to us.

1st Sep, 2014 - 5:53pm / Post ID: #

international QUOTE
I don't think all medical professionals are bad. That in itself is a blanket statement that I don't feel it's correct.

I didn't say all were bad I'm just saying that I am aware that there are milkers out there. The thing with mental care is it usually has to be ongoing, its not like something physical where you take some tablets and eventually it heals and goes away. This is what makes mental health care quite lucrative.

Post Date: 3rd Sep, 2014 - 11:43am / Post ID: #

Name: Florance

Comments: The best thing is to find therapists by referral, someone you know who has used their services before and can give a recommendation that what they are doing works. You can avoid most scams this way. If you do not know anyone personally that can give you a recommendation then look for advocacy groups that might have a list of recommended therapists.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
26th Sep, 2014 - 10:49pm / Post ID: #

Autism Scams Give Your Money The Cure

Here is a testimony from James R. Laidler, MD about how alternative autism treatments that he refers to as "Autism Quackery" Played out in his desperate search:

international QUOTE
A year or so after my son was diagnosed with autism, with no hope for cure in sight, I was feeling desperate for anything that might help him. My wife attended a conference about "Biological treatments for autism." She came back extremely excited, having heard story after story about "hopeless" Cases of autism "Cured" By a variety of simple treatments. I was initially skeptical, but my desperation soon got the better of me. We started out with the simple therapies-vitamins and minerals-but soon moved on to the "hard stuff": the gluten- and casein-free diet, secretin, and chelation. Some of it seemed to work-for a while-and that just spurred us to try the next therapy on the horizon. I was "hooked" On hope, which is more addictive and dangerous than any "Street" Drug. Meanwhile, my second son developed an autism-like disability at the age of 18 months.

I would read the whole thing: Source 8

> TOPIC: Autism Scams - Give Us Your Money For The Cure

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,