Radical Mormonism

Radical Mormonism - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 20th Apr, 2008 - 3:12am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
31st Mar, 2008 - 1:12am / Post ID: #

Radical Mormonism

Radical Mormonism

I recently started a Thread about Radical Islam which is known by most of the world today, but is there also any form of 'Radical Mormonism'? If so, how do we define it?

Sponsored Links:
12th Apr, 2008 - 11:46pm / Post ID: #

Mormonism Radical

I am not sure what you mean by radical Islam? By definition I think that radical Islam would be some form of secular Islam that we seem to fine in Europe. If this is the case then yes I think that there are some radical tangents of Mormonism, perhaps like Tescono's, radical feminine groups to some extent, (not all LDS feminist groups are in this grouping though) or new age Mormons as they call themselves. If however you mean fundamentalist Islam like Osama Ben Lauden then yes we do have those as well. The FLDS (the fundamentalist latter-day saints) are a good example of such groups in my opinion.

13th Apr, 2008 - 3:24am / Post ID: #

Radical Mormonism Studies Doctrine Mormon

QUOTE (Isiah53)
I am not sure what you mean by radical Islam?

The terms are very popular, I'm surprised you ask. I thought you were going to ask how I would define "Radical Mormonism" and I would answer that these would be 'renegade' Members that take decisive action without the approval of the Church.

If however you mean fundamentalist Islam like Osama Ben Lauden

We can include him in the soup as a comparison, however I do not consider the FLDS as part of the Church really. I am talking about Members in The Church who have radical thinking that may cause even their membership to be in jeopardy.

13th Apr, 2008 - 10:38pm / Post ID: #

Mormonism Radical

Ok thanks for the clarification. I guess that I was including all Mormons not just LDS, because I consider the church to be one group of Mormonism. ( I consider a mormon any group or person that claims authority or succession from Joseph Smith.)

Within the church I am sure their are some radical groups/ individuals that may be radical. I think of radical in the political spectrum that is towards the left. So there can be some radical LDS but are in good standing with the church. For example, I am thinking the new Mormon anarchist group that is there now. They publish a newspaper now called the Mormon worker. They are all in good standing with the church, but they are politically radical by definition. I also think that there perhaps is some reactionary groups (opposite of radicalism) that probably exist in the church. I know a lot of members were/are john Birch society. (I think they are a reactionary group). I guess if they keep there covenants in the temple, and sustain there leaders then why should they not be members. Other then that I am not sure what is meant by "decisive action" not authorized by the brethren. Politically the church really lets one vote, and support the way their conscious dictates. But that is my opinion.

14th Apr, 2008 - 5:40pm / Post ID: #

Mormonism Radical

But can we really compare Politically Radical Mormon groups with those of Islam. There is no comparison today with the violence and negative influence that they have.

The difference I believe is that mainstream LDS/Mormons would expel any Radical Mormon group within its midsts that was as violent as Islam has tended to be.

Fortunately or unfortunately The "LDS Church" has little tolerance for Radical anything at this point.

14th Apr, 2008 - 5:46pm / Post ID: #

Radical Mormonism

The purpose of the Thread was not to compare Radical Islam with Radical Mormonism, it was to ascertain if these types (Islamists) or similar types exist in Mormonism. Many would use the Mountain Meadows Massacre as an example, or even the Danites - both of which have their own Threads.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
18th Apr, 2008 - 11:42pm / Post ID: #

Radical Mormonism

I am not sure if we are using the term radical the same way. Radical is an extreme change from tradition or the norm. What we are experiencing with Islam is not radical but fundamental Islam. A big difference. They do not see themselves as a departure of tradition but a rebirth of tradition, and meaning. Radical Islam would be a form of secular Islam that breaks from traditional ideas of government and religion. (the type of government we are trying to put in Iraq) I do not think that the meadow massacre or Danites are radical Mormonism by definition. They did not see themselves as breaking tradition But rather protecting it and justified by Mormon ideas of blood atonement. They are more fundamental in there ideology.
I guess a radical Mormon group would be one that breaks away from the traditional Mormon ideas and assumptions.
I would say the group called the new age Mormons are radical. They have broken from traditions by there views of the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith. They have broke away from the traditional views of there divine attributes. Perhaps some feminist Mormon groups are radical in that they break from tradition of priesthood. They break from tradition and look for something to replace it.
I guess there can be all sorts of radical Mormons. If we are talking religiously or those Mormons who mix politics in as well could be seen radical. I am thinking of the new LDS anarchist association that is growing in numbers. They publish a newspaper and everything. (They are at www.themormonworker.org for those who are interested. ) They are radical, but somewhat more political then religious. However I think you are right in saying that the church does not put up with many radical ideas within the church. Perhaps its a good thing or perhaps it is not. I think it can be a mixed blessing.

20th Apr, 2008 - 3:12am / Post ID: #

Radical Mormonism Mormon Doctrine Studies

I think some of the exmormons who put things about the temple online and speak lies can be considered radical and apostate of course.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Radical Mormonism

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,