Feeling The Spirit vs Emotional Feelings

Feeling Spirit Emotional Feelings - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 3rd Sep, 2014 - 2:17pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
31st Aug, 2014 - 3:09pm / Post ID: #

You know, many times you are in Church and you hear a talk and some people express how strong the "Spirit" was felt but I wonder how do you differentiate between the Spirit and your own personal (Emotional) feelings?

Sponsored Links:
1st Sep, 2014 - 1:57pm / Post ID: #

Feelings Emotional Spirit Feeling

I think when it's the Spirit there is more like a spiritual manifestation of some sort rather than just pure emotion.

2nd Sep, 2014 - 4:44am / Post ID: #

Feeling The Spirit vs Emotional Feelings Studies Doctrine Mormon

This is one of the hardest things for members to figure out. I have been in meetings where members were crying because they felt moved by the spirit while I didn't. In a couple of instances, the person speaking was even making up a story so I think it's very easy to be deceived by emotions.

2nd Sep, 2014 - 2:13pm / Post ID: #

I believe this is the number one thing people of other churches criticizes us because they believe feelings can be deceiving so I personally can say both feelings are different but it would be hard to put it into words.

Post Date: 2nd Sep, 2014 - 4:03pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Hmm, this feels closely related to another question... How do you tell the difference between your own thoughts, and actual promptings?

2nd Sep, 2014 - 4:08pm / Post ID: #

As stated before, this is difficult. Personally, my experience with many members is that they confuse spirituality with emotions. The same people always cry and are not really a more spiritually advanced person nor did they experience some "spiritual door opening". They just get emotional faster. I am not even sure if "feeling" the spirit is a correct statement to make. I have certainly had the spirit "with me" but it always accompanied clarity of thought, much greater understanding of doctrines or scriptures. Witnessing something etc, not just feeling good about a meeting. There is in my opinion way too much, "Oh it was a wonderful meeting, I felt the spirit so strong!", Oh really, what were the topics? Oh I don't remember but it was such a great meeting. WOW!

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
3rd Sep, 2014 - 12:16pm / Post ID: #

Feeling Spirit Emotional Feelings

I think one of the apostles in this conference (Who was it again?) talked about that testimony doesn't mean "emotion" I thought it was pretty cool that he said that. I will try to look for the reference.

Post Date: 3rd Sep, 2014 - 2:17pm / Post ID: #

Feeling Spirit Emotional Feelings Mormon Doctrine Studies

Name: Thebestsun

Comments: This is a good topic because I have thought a lot about this one myself. I think we do have to learn to differentiate between the two and I have come to believe that the adversary can even sometimes cause us to feel things that we think are of the spirit but are artificial. I don't know that for sure but its something I have though a lot about. Those things being said, I do know that personal worthiness and effort plays a HUGE part in how often and how strong the spirit is felt. Different people also feel it differently. No two people are alike and in that same way I think experiences can be very different. I know there have been times where others felt the spirit and I didn't and I knew it was because I hadn't been reading my scriptures and praying and seeking. I think we can become numb to the spirit when we are not doing those things so thats something to keep in mind. I wouldn't dismiss anyone else's feelings if I don't feel the same. Everyone is different and in different places.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Feeling The Spirit vs Emotional Feelings

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,