Is Mental Illness A Sin?

Is Mental Illness Sin - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 4th Jan, 2006 - 8:18am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Do you really need an answer?
20th Aug, 2005 - 1:59pm / Post ID: #

Is Mental Illness A Sin?

I believe the Lord gave a couple of great practical examples about this issue and similar to it and I wonder why people would still evaluate such infirmities as sin?

international QUOTE
MENTAL ILLNESS ISN'T A SIN, EXPERT TELLS CROWD AT Y.

Latter-day Saints with limited knowledge about mental illness can add to the pain of those who suffer when they ascribe to several common myths.
Ref. Source

Sponsored Links:
21st Aug, 2005 - 1:17am / Post ID: #

Sin Illness Mental Is

No, of course it's not a sin, nor is it usually caused by sin. Generally there is a physical issue, or a chemical imbalance in the brain or body that causes mental illness. However, in my view, there can be life events that can cause depression. In some instances, that event may be committing a serious sin, but the mental illness itself is not a sin.

Post Date: 13th Sep, 2005 - 4:34am / Post ID: #

Is Mental Illness A Sin?
A Friend

Is Mental Illness A Sin? Studies Doctrine Mormon

I do not think mental illness is a sin either. I have a mental illness and it makes life very difficult but I try to be the best mormon I can be. I can see why a person who has a mental illness could think of it as a sin. It's the guilt. Especially, if they tried to commit suicide. I have heard so many times that it is an unpardonable sin that it is hard to forgive oneself since you think God will not even forgive you. Also, some of the coping skills to get you through the day are contrary to mormon beliefs. For example: I stay at home alot even on Sundays. That increases the guilt. I can't work. We are counseled to be hard working and to support our families. Sometimes that is just not happening. That also increases the guilt. It adds up and sometimes you lose hope. I am lucky I have a loving and understanding wife.

Reconcile Edited: mathman on 13th Sep, 2005 - 4:37am

13th Sep, 2005 - 10:15am / Post ID: #

Sin Illness Mental Is

Society attaches such a stigma to mental illness. Perhaps because we don't really have a cure. In fact, even the treatments we have are not very reliable. More than that, it could be because some pretty heinous crimes are committed by those with mental illness. So, we tend to see it as evil rather than sickness. We associate evil with sin.

In fact, in the US at least, medical insurance doesn't allow the same level of benefits as are provided for other illnesses or injury. The level of benefits have increased, but they are still pretty limited in comparison.

As mathman has pointed out, another reason could be that one who suffers from mental illness feels guilty because of the behaviors that are derived from such illness such as not holding a job or going to Church.

I have a close family member who suffers from depression. It is severe enough that she collects social security disability for it. Still, at times, it is really hard to not want to shout, "just get over it!" I know this isn't right, but it still can be hard to accept.

Post Date: 13th Sep, 2005 - 3:27pm / Post ID: #

Is Mental Illness A Sin?
A Friend

Sin Illness Mental Is

From personal experience I would certainly agree with you about the medicine. At this time there are no cures so they treat the symptoms. To a large degree medication helps but it just decreases the intensity of the symptoms. They never go away totally. The side affects are not helpful either. Drowsiness is the worst side effect for me.

As for society, I have conflicting opinions. Society has a right to protect its citizens. Society also has the obligation to protect those without the ability to distinguish right from wrong. That is were I have to have faith that it will work out in the end because God is in charge. Speaking of which, you could go on to a related topic which is, do we have the right to execute mental ill people? I leave that for another thread.

Post Date: 29th Nov, 2005 - 12:49am / Post ID: #

Is Mental Illness A Sin?
A Friend

Is Mental Illness A Sin?

No, mental illness is not a sin.

Elder Alexander B. Morrison of the Seventy wrote a book about mental illness, entitled Valley of Sorrow: A Layman's Guide to Understanding Mental Illness, which I recommend. If I remember correctly, part of it appeared in the Ensign, as well.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 1st Jan, 2005 - 10:28pm / Post ID: #

Is Mental Illness A Sin?
A Friend

Is Mental Illness Sin

I don't believe that true mental illness is a sin. I'm a nurse and as such I recognize how the chemicals, hormones and the whole endochrine system can play havoc with thought processes. Someone mentioned depression and that does seem to be one of the most common mental illnesses and one which is many times caused by inbalances within the chemicals of the body and brain.

Quite a few years ago I was put on Provera for some female type problems and at the same time the doctor put me on the Phen-fen diet so that I wouldn't gain weight with the provera. Well, the interactions between the two drugs set my body and mind into a tailspin. I became extremely depressed and almost suicidal. It took a good 6 months of not taking those medications to get them totally out of my system and get my body and mine back to normal. This experience truly convinced me that many depressions are in fact caused by chemicals within the body being out of wack, either by what we eat, medications or an inborn error of the body.

All that being said, what I've often wondered about is possession. It used to be that many mental illnesses were considered possession by evil spirits. I have read many times that depression puts the mind in such a state that it becomes easier for these evil spirits to have access to the mind or body and possibly possess the body. This leads me to wonder if some of the mental illnesses we see today are actually possession. Especially those that don't seem to be able to be treated by medications.

Recently we watched the movie, The Possession of Emily Rose. This concept is somewhat explored in that movie. Basically the movie is about a priest on trial for causing the death of Emily Rose by performin and exorcism on her and convincing her to not pursue medical treatment. The lawyer for the offense has a logical, scientific and medical explanation for everything that Emily Rose does and everything that happened to her. While the priest has a supernatural reason for it all. In the end it's really up to the viewer to make up their mind. Was Emily Rose's condition caused by mental illness and would it have been better to treat it medically (which didn't appear to be working) or was it truly possession which could have possibly been treated by an exorcism.

So, after that lengthy explanation... what do you all think? Can some mental illnesses actually be possession of evil spirits?

Sheryl

Post Date: 4th Jan, 2006 - 8:18am / Post ID: #

Is Mental Illness A Sin?
A Friend

Is Mental Illness Sin Mormon Doctrine Studies

I have asked myself that question a few times. I don't think depression would be caused by possession nor do I think that "many" mental illnesses are caused by possession, even though it may leave someone prone. I believe they are caused by chemical imbalances like you mentioned.

That stated, in the New Testament I believe a man was very "mad" and Jesus cast the many demons out and healed the man. So, you have scriptual evidence that could be interpreted as mental illnesses could be caused by demon possession. I think it is limited to a maybe a few such as schizophrenia. I have depression and a form of schizophrenia so my comments are from personal experience. A schizophrenic hears voices which would certainly make me believe that there is a good possibility that there are demons afoot. Me personally, I would not call them voices but bad ideas that pop into one's head. I say bad ideas because most of them are not necessarily evil but do not make any sense. I would not go out and get an exorcism but a blessing never hurt. Should be interesting to see what insights science will give us in the future.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Is Mental Illness A Sin?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,