Trinidadian Guide To Being A Good Neighbour
When you live in a community you live among other people - you are not an island unto yourself. In small communities this is especially true because what you do can greatly affect those around you. As a neighbour you should be considerate by:
1. Do not blast the sound of your music or TV. Your music or TV set is for YOUR enjoyment, not for everyone else to hear.
2. Do not use your home as a mechanic shop by revving your engine constantly or making banging noises every day.
3. There is a good enough sanitary system in place by local government - you do NOT need to burn trash and leaves causing the smoke and fumes to enter the homes of others.
4. There is a difference between being observant, having a neighbourhood watch and simply 'mackoing' (Eavesdropping) - allow your neighbour their privacy.
Good topic. I will like to add that good neighbours keep their yard and premises in good condition and in favor with the rest of houses in the street. No point having your house all nice and your neighbour has his like a construction site.
There are several qualities I would like to contribute when it comes to being a good neighbor:
Firstly one must have a friendly disposition which means one is easy to get along with.
Secondly one must be well mannered and respectful to all neighbors including showing respect to a neighbor's personal space or place. Also when one speaks of being well mannered one should also have good behavior as a neighbor in dealing with other neighbors as well.
Thirdly one should give assistance when another neighbor needs it. This fosters good community spirit.
Fourthly one should properly maintain their home environment. A neighbor's home environment that is not properly kept can become a breeding ground for other issues later on that other neighbors in the area might have to face.
Fifthly one is good at relationship building by staying in peace and harmony with all neighbors that are in the neighborhood.
Sixthly one is interested in communicating with others. A neighbor who is isolated from the rest of the neighbors in a neighborhood shows that they are not good at communication.
Seventhly, one must be a good law-abiding citizen and one should not intend to break the law.
These are seven good qualities that should always be seen in a good neighbor.
Edited: IToldYou on 15th Feb, 2015 - 2:34am
If you have pets, specially pets that defecate in random places throughout your yard then CLEAN IT UP. We do not have to smell your animal's feces and we do not want to call the health inspectors or TTSPCA for you!
It have some neighbours that feel they own both their house and the one you in as well. When you see you're in an apartment building its even worst because they not considerate at all.
The biggest problems is music and smoke. You only get the smoke problem in certain kinds of areas where they don't care nothing but the music problem is everywhere. The worst is when they're cleaning their car and they have to be blasting the car's stereo so loud like if they deaf.
Sorry Indira but I believe I am right concerning the communicative aspects that one should display when being a good neighbor.
Like some Trinidadian individuals you missed the point completely.
Yes, I know that some people are not open to lively discussions with others for whatever reason that may be however this is not the original point that I was trying to get across.
However, communication among neighbors can still be relevant regardless as to what others may say. Here are good reasons why communication among neighbors is important.
1. Communication among neighbors can bring about neighbors coming together to help another neighbor who may require some degree of assistance. For example, such as the building of a house. Neighbors coming together can help in the building of such a structure because neighbors can come together as a team and sometimes a group might be better able to handle such a task much better than may be one individual trying to do it by themselves and not succeeding completely at such an endeavor.
How else would neighbors know about another neighbor requiring such help if a neighbor in the area did not communicate to other neighbors that they were in need of help from others from their community.
2. Communication among neighbors is important because some problems should not be hidden or kept private where danger to an individual in the community may occur such as an issue of domestic violence or child abuse for example.
If neighbors are never told about these issues then they will be left in the dark concerning them and these issues if they went unchecked may go on to even become potentially disastrous consequences for an individual in a community.
How many times have I heard neighbors say that they never knew such was going on with one of their neighbors and the answer for this is that one of their neighbors kept certain inflammatory issues like the ones I previously mentioned in the dark till it escalated out of control to the point where disaster occurred. Indeed it is noteworthy to note that such could have indeed been possibly prevented had someone communicated to others in the community of what exactly was going on with themselves at the time.
3. Finally communication among neighbors means that the creation of neighborhood watches can occur. If no one communicated with each other in a community then a neighborhood watch could never be formed where neighbors look out for each other and call each other in case their is suspicious activity going on in the neighborhood or even criminal activity which may result in theft from a neighbor's property.
Because neighbors communicate with each other then if something happens to someone's property in the neighborhood such as for example a neighbor about to be robbed by thieves then another neighbor could be called upon to help or even be asked to call the police on behalf of a neighbor in the community.
Fires to a neighbor's property could also be managed because all neighbors could come together to help put out the fire. However keeping by yourself sometimes is interpreted in a neighborhood as one being unfriendly with other neighbors or even shunning them completely and so when the time comes for such a neighbor to be helped other neighbors in the community may not be so readily willing to offer it because of the isolationist attitude and behavior that they have seen displayed by one of their neighbors in the same community that they themselves live in.
Food for Thought and Facts that will always remain Factual.