What Players Like? Should I Be A GM?

What Players Like Gm - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 20th Jan, 2009 - 7:00pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

28th March 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Cleric
Cleric
Rogue
Rogue
Warlock
Warlock
Fighter
Fighter
Barbarian
Barbarian
Ranger
Ranger
Wizard
Wizard
Draconian
Draconian
Paladin
Paladin

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »
25th May, 2008 - 7:37pm / Post ID: #

I was thinking about being a GM and wondered how do you know what players like without asking them for details?

Sponsored Links:
26th May, 2008 - 8:20am / Post ID: #

GM Be Should Like Players What

Other than sharing the nature of being a gamer, and the very broad subjects all gamers enjoy, I don't think you CAN know what other gamers like without asking.

Generally, for me, you get a group of people you know and talk over with them the type of game (I just started a forum RP with some people I know online) they'd enjoy playing and that you'd enjoy running, or you make a game of a certain kind and open the signups to everyone that would be interested in that style. I've never run a game for strangers, either real tabletop or by post, so I'm iffy on total strangers being .... reliable players, though it undoubtedly works for some.

To me the important thing is exactly what is asked here - you have to communicate, not just the GM telling the players this or that, but the players also telling the GM what they want and expect and are interested in, and the two sides come to a compromise both will enjoy.

19th Jan, 2009 - 9:45pm / Post ID: #

What Players Like? Should I Be A GM? Reviews RPG & Card Board

I sucked bad as a DM because I didn't know what the players wanted. I think some people are just born to be the DM and others are born to play the DM's scenarios.

Post Date: 20th Jan, 2009 - 5:11pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

First of all you as the GM/DM needs to communicate with the players what type of scenario they are going to play in. After which you need to develop a story line and what type of characters you are willing the players to have. After which you get the Player Characters (pc) into the game by a opening. From there it is all about communication from the pcs and the dm.

20th Jan, 2009 - 5:18pm / Post ID: #

I was saying in another post that if its just a couple of players I can pretty much handle everything but when its like five or more players I get too taxed and lose the storyline to figuring out where everyone's at.

Post Date: 20th Jan, 2009 - 6:39pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I have found that making little notes to myself of where the party members are at helps. Also have the party elect a leader who gives you the marching order of the party. This helps you know where each member of the party is at. This is very useful when an attack comes from the rear or the middle of the party.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
20th Jan, 2009 - 6:45pm / Post ID: #

What Players Like Should Be GM

I used to just let everyone decide where they wanted to be Maybe a leader of some sort would be good to make final decisions. The bits of paper never helped me just got me more confused.

Post Date: 20th Jan, 2009 - 7:00pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

What Players Like Should Be GM Board Card & RPG Reviews

I used a screen and two steno notebooks. I had the players decide who was to be the leader and that person made the main decisions and also assigned the party leader. I also encouraged certain PCs to hand me bits of paper on what their characters were doing. These were the pc who had a evil side or were thieves. This helped the play go in odd directions at all times. The biggest party I DMed was 20 different PCs.

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »

> TOPIC: What Players Like? Should I Be A GM?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,