Autism & Role-Playing Games - Page 6 of 13

Name: Connor Comments: I run a Dungeons & - Page 6 - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 27th Aug, 2016 - 2:25pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 13 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ...Latest (13) »
Best of  Autism & Role-playing Games RPGs for those on the Autism Spectrum. If you are autistic does being in a role-playing setting help with social skills? Does participating in online play by post methods allow a release?
Post Date: 19th Aug, 2016 - 2:01pm / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Autism & Role-Playing Games - Page 6

Name: Mark

Comments: I'm autistic and it certainly helped me, especially back in high school when I was prone to isolate myself. The game pretty much forced me to work in a group and socialize.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 19th Aug, 2016 - 2:52pm / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Games Role-Playing and Autism

Name: Brandon

Comments: Work with traumatized kids. These games are also beneficial to them. They allow themselves a chance to process stuff they cannot vocalize otherwise.

Post Date: 19th Aug, 2016 - 5:13pm / Post ID: #

Autism & Role-Playing Games Health & Special Psychology

Name: Leokins

Title: Structured Social Interaction

Comments: I think play by post roleplaying suits those on the spectrum because while those with autism may find in-person NT social situations stressful, chaotic and overwhelming, that doesn't mean they don't need social interaction and friendship.

The fact that play by post role-playing fosters interpersonal interaction within a limited framework of actions and reactions, and allows those involved to respond at their own pace without the immediacy of a conversation, or the verbal components, and allows for a much more controlled and low stress form of socializing.

Post Date: 19th Aug, 2016 - 5:23pm / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Page 6 Games Role-Playing and Autism

Name: Daniel

Comments: I have a cousin who has Asperger and I've been playing Dungeons & Dragons with him for a while now. The psychologists who follow him already noticed changes on his behaviour. I'm also conducting a study where I state that Dungeons & Dragons and other role-playing based games are an excelent tool when it comes to aid people who have autism spectrum disorders, depression, lack of social skills and so forth. It's in a embrionry state (Kind of) and although I have the atention and curiosity of some experts (Like those mentioned above), it has been kind of challenging to go from theory to practice. And that's my goal, to make sure everyone knows how important and crucial this method can be when it comes to improve the lifestyle and self esteem of the patient, and therefore applying it during their sessions.

Post Date: 19th Aug, 2016 - 6:10pm / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Games Role-Playing and Autism

Name: Kyle

Comments: I suffer from social anxiety myself, and many techniques and approaches to conquering autism barriers can be applied to many other social aspects of human living. Some autism techniques have even helped me grow out of my anxious shell.

And not enough people are aware about autism and how insignificant we can make the condition if we started to understand it more, and find new ways to break down these barriers. I love that you have gone this far to do something like this with such a socially heavy game.

Post Date: 19th Aug, 2016 - 8:18pm / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Autism & Role-Playing Games

Name: Jeremy

Comments: Thank you for sharing this.
I have bipolar disorder and have found that the game helps me through the ups and downs associated with depression, anxiety, and general mood lability. I have therapeutically used Dungeons & Dragons and all that it provides to my personal benefit for over 15 years.
About six years ago I began working with adults with ID/DD and I have had some success with the cooperative storytelling approach you mention. Using this game as an educational platform I have been able to teach creative writing and basic mathematics along with other lessons which are more important. Included among these are time management, teamwork, planning, empathy, and respect.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 20th Aug, 2016 - 7:15pm / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Autism & Role-Playing Games - Page 6

Name: Mike

Comments: I'm 51 and I grew up being labelled Hyperactive as there wasn't anything other than term to describe me. I discovered Roleplaying Games in 1977, Traveller and Dungeons & Dragons. For me personally it was something that helped me immensely. Now, in more recent history, I've been diagnosed as being Aspergic with ADHD to add some spice to the mix. I still roleplay and it still continues to help me to this day.

Post Date: 27th Aug, 2016 - 2:25pm / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Autism & Role-Playing Games Psychology Special & Health - Page 6

Name: Connor

Comments: I run a Dungeons & Dragons game for a group of kids with social challenges, including Autistic teens. Great group of kids who love the game and sometimes are different people when playing than when not and it's great to see them 'come out of their shell' and become very excited and talkative. I was told before the first session to not expect one particular teen to actively participate or to say much… once the game began he took over as leader and said more than all the other kids combined, and at no point could I tell that he ever acted any different.

> TOPIC: Autism & Role-Playing Games

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,