Autism & Role-Playing Games - Page 8 of 13

Name: Maya Comments: I am not a parent of - Page 8 - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 8th Sep, 2016 - 7:31pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 13 pgs.  4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ...Latest (13) »
Best of  Autism & Role-playing Games RPGs for those on the Autism Spectrum. If you are autistic does being in a role-playing setting help with social skills? Does participating in online play by post methods allow a release?
Post Date: 2nd Sep, 2016 - 10:25am / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Autism & Role-Playing Games - Page 8

Name: David

Comment: After college I worked at a school for kids with learning disabilities, mostly dyslexia but also with secondary disabilities, on child was autistic (This was in 1986, it wasn't so common then)... The second and third years I was there I ran an after school Dungeons & Dragons group for a half dozen or so kids twice a week. It was the one thing I saw him do where he was active and involved… I had him in math class and you had to lean on him to get him to cooperate (He had to be addressed very directly to respond)... He was pretty smart and all that… just… somewhere else. But for Dungeons & Dragons he was 'all there'... Even got chatty about non-adventure stuff once or twice.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 2nd Sep, 2016 - 6:11pm / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Games Role-Playing and Autism

Name: Stuart

Comments: As an adult with diagnosed Autism, and 33 years as an Role-playing Game player, I appreciate your consideration.

I'm sure Role-playing Games pretty much kept me going at times.

Post Date: 4th Sep, 2016 - 4:52pm / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Autism & Role-Playing Games Health & Special Psychology

Name: Martin

Comments: I am a long time gamer (30 years, I am 43) I have played with over 50 people. I have see the positive side of Role-playing Game and writing on kids, became less shy, more open, have empathy, and a lot of honor and self-respect. For the me Role-playing Game IS the books of social life.

Post Date: 4th Sep, 2016 - 5:19pm / Post ID: #

Page 8 Games Role-Playing and Autism

Name: Georgina

Comments: My youngest son has ADHD and it helped him while he was a teenager playing magic card games with his brother.

Post Date: 5th Sep, 2016 - 6:29pm / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Games Role-Playing and Autism

Name: Matthew

Comments: I'm very slightly on the autism scale and grew up surrounded by and playing tabletop systems, from Dungeons & Dragons to GURPS, D20 to old school Star Wars, even a few home brews, like Scooby Doo Cthuhlu, and I love studying the mechanics of a new system, so this makes total sense to me.

Post Date: 5th Sep, 2016 - 10:20pm / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Autism & Role-Playing Games

Name: Scott

Comments: My son's on the spectrum, and we play in a father and son group once a month or so. It's been a big help for him with socialization and problem-solving. He recently started playing in another group with his friends, two of whom are on the spectrum. That's opened up some new issues where he has to plan these get-togethers himself, coordinate schedules, make sure our house is clean, etc. It's weird how Role-playing Game's give you insight into areas you never thought of.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 6th Sep, 2016 - 10:45pm / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Autism & Role-Playing Games - Page 8

Name: Sahyne

Comments: I work with autistic adults, and nothing seems to excite them more than talking about dragons and monsters and magic. I love working with them, as for the most part they've got more heart, more human decency, than the majority of the rest of adult society.

Post Date: 8th Sep, 2016 - 7:31pm / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Autism & Role-Playing Games Psychology Special & Health - Page 8

Name: Maya

Comments: I am not a parent of an autistic child but am a psychologist who loves autistic children and wanna work with them. Years ago I had an idea that I could use Dungeons & Dragons in working with children with various problems. But, honestly, haven't thought of using it with autistic children. Look forward to reading your stuff and wish you luck in your work!

> TOPIC: Autism & Role-Playing Games

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,